Poll: Austrian Grand Prix 2021, Spielberg - Race 9/23

Rate the Austeian Grand Prix 2021 out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
I've not read the thread or the comments but just re-watching the race with my wife (she's generally out when it's on live) and even she commented on the stupidness of the five second penalties for Norris and then Perez. They were all just what happens when racing, none should have been even considered as penalties.
At least there’s consistency and the drivers now know what will get them a penalty.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Jeeze, I barly said anything that bad. Grow some skin.

...says the person who declared that fans cheering on people beating Lewis Hamilton in qualifying to increase the gap between Hamilton and Max Verstappen was why they didn't like Max. One of those people being Verstappen's Red Bull team-mate who would be quite likely to have support in Austria, the other of which was Lando Norris driving the wheels off a McLaren.

PpdaICN.gif

As for your "Is their [sic] anywhere else that happens?" hand-wringing...sure, take a glance at football fandom sometime. In fact, go look at certain reactions from England 'supporters' (read: prats) after the TV cameras caught that young girl crying in the stands when they beat Germany. 'Vitriolic and abusive' doesn't even cover it. Some local support for Red Bull drivers at the Red Bull Ring hardly compares...:p:D

Man of Honour
Right then...

Raikkonen - Drive through penalty (20 seconds added to race time) and 2 penalty points for causing a collision
Latifi - 10 second stop and go penalty (30 seconds added to race time) and 3 penalty points for ignoring yellow flags
Mazepin - 10 second stop and go penalty (30 seconds added to race time) and 3 penalty points for ignoring yellow flags (Already on 5 penalty points... :eek:)
Russell - No further action
Giovinazzi- No further action
Gasly- No further action
Leclerc- No further action
Ricciardo- No further action
Perez- No further action
Sainz- No further action

Raikkonen moves up to 15th and Latifi drops to 16th despite Latifi getting stuck with a penalty from the flags of an incident that Raikkonen caused...

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Anyone else find Hamiltons radio message about Norris driving skill after he passed him a bit crass? Like it was going to be inevitable he would pass him becasue he's less experienced?

Soldato
Anyone else find Hamiltons radio message about Norris driving skill after he passed him a bit crass? Like it was going to be inevitable he would pass him becasue he's less experienced?
I just heard it as straight up praise for a fellow Brit. Norris is having a blinder. You could argue maybe Lewis has a slightly bruised ego and subconsciously praising him like that is some sort of power play (sort of thing my boss would do, lol), you know - remind people he's 7 time world champion. But honestly I don't think so. There was definitely no malice in it.

Edit: Maybe he wants him as his no2 next year rather than Bottas or Russell? :eek:

Man of Honour
I just heard it as straight up praise for a fellow Brit. Norris is having a blinder. You could argue maybe Lewis has a slightly bruised ego and subconsciously praising him like that is some sort of power play (sort of thing my boss would do, lol), you know - remind people he's 7 time world champion. But honestly I don't think so. There was definitely no malice in it.

Seemed completely genuine to me. He was having a great race.

Edit: Maybe he wants him as his no2 next year rather than Bottas or Russell? :eek:

Possibly, if he hadn't already extended his deal at McLaren

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Yeah, I guess you're right. Just seems odd mid-race vs after.

Norris is my favourite right now. He was on the up last year and he's come back this year even better. He's right behind Perez in the standings and ahead of Bottas. Excellent for McLaren and Lando, I really hope they carry this form into the new rules.

Associate
So Verstappen has done something that’s not been done in 25 years: win consecutive Grand Prix in the same country
Last person to do so: Damon Hill in 95/96 at Australia
Mercedes really to get their act together now.
If Hamilton is beaten on home turf next time out (short of mechanical issues) don’t think he’ll have much of an appetite for fighting

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I'd love to see Russell pick up points and Lando on the podium again in Silverstone. That would be such a huge boost for them.

Also, must say again I much prefer Di Resta over Brundle.

Man of Honour
I'd love to see Russell pick up points and Lando on the podium again in Silverstone. That would be such a huge boost for them.
Imagine a massively weird race and Hamilton, Norris and Russell is the podium... I think the internets would explode. :D

Man of Honour
I’m surprised so many have rated this so much higher than the last race. It was more engineered drivel where little happened. Those penalties were laughable.

Soldato
Unless these upgrades work I think it could be all but game over in 2021 for Lewis, not something I would have thought 4 races ago, really did think the street tracks were exaggerating the Redbull advantage and Merc would come storming back.. guess not.

If Both Lewis and Bottas can both keep getting podiums then the WCC could be close, guess that one could hang on Perez.

Great to see Noris up there, shame for Russell.

Let's see what Silverstone brings.

Back
Top Bottom