Poll: Austrian Grand Prix 2021, Spielberg - Race 9/23

Rate the Austeian Grand Prix 2021 out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
I'm torn on this. It's great that it's not just Lewis winning everything, but on the other hand Red bull are insufferable, and Max isn't a likeable character either. I think I'd rather non of them won the WDC and Bottas v10.11 got it instead.

Soldato
...says the person who declared that fans cheering on people beating Lewis Hamilton in qualifying to increase the gap between Hamilton and Max Verstappen was why they didn't like Max. One of those people being Verstappen's Red Bull team-mate who would be quite likely to have support in Austria, the other of which was Lando Norris driving the wheels off a McLaren.

PpdaICN.gif

As for your "Is their [sic] anywhere else that happens?" hand-wringing...sure, take a glance at football fandom sometime. In fact, go look at certain reactions from England 'supporters' (read: prats) after the TV cameras caught that young girl crying in the stands when they beat Germany. 'Vitriolic and abusive' doesn't even cover it. Some local support for Red Bull drivers at the Red Bull Ring hardly compares...:p:D
Bit of a muppet arnt ye. I think Max is an outstanding talent and was easily in the top 5 on the grid.
When I said anywhere else this happens, i meant in F1 terms. Apart from Spain and Italy where they jsut boo anyone on the podium that isnt their fav.

Soldato
Unless these upgrades work I think it could be all but game over in 2021 for Lewis, not something I would have thought 4 races ago, really did think the street tracks were exaggerating the Redbull advantage and Merc would come storming back.. guess not.

If Both Lewis and Bottas can both keep getting podiums then the WCC could be close, guess that one could hang on Perez.

Great to see Noris up there, shame for Russell.

Let's see what Silverstone brings.
lol..and how many races are left on the calender?

Soldato
That's the problem, the stewards will be different next race and have a more/less lenient approach. Agree or disagree with it, running people out wide when they're on your outside has been fair game for years. Today it wasn't. Next week? Who knows.

Indeed, it's a ******* joke, along with track limits in general, just use the white line.

Associate
Hamilton's going to rue the Baku mistake. Would have meant the current lead was less than a race win away, but also pressure would have been on RB/Max and could have led to some mistakes in the last few races.

Soldato
I've been thinking about the situation with the championship and here's where I'm currently at:
  • Before Monaco, things were pretty even between the two teams
  • Hamilton's mistake in Baku was a huge let-off for Max and that's playing into the current points situation
  • Equally, the floor damage yesterday cost him a further 6 points
  • Either RBR has pulled something out of the bag in terms of upgrades or, notwithstanding Paul Ricard, we've just had a string of tracks that suit the Red Bull over the Merc
  • RBR/Max also got a bonus having two races in Austria where they were clearly dominant
  • If RBR's pace advantage in Austria is indicative of their 'real' performance over Mercedes, then Merc are going to have to do something special to reign them in
  • If Toto's comments about them focusing on next season are accurate, I can't see the above point happening, but I think it would be a mistake for them to switch off this early in the season
  • Hamilton needs to win five races with Max coming second to overturn the current points deficit, which isn't impossible but obviously depends on the above
  • We all know that reliability, tidy pit stops, clean racing, good tactics and a bit of luck all play into it, so it's unlikely that the next five races will be as straightforward as 'Hamilton winning the next five with Max coming second'
  • Can Hamilton's string of misfortune continue? Maybe the tide will turn and Max will have a run of bad luck
  • Given we're not even halfway through the season, I think it's a bit premature to call it for Max already, but the momentum is certainly with him and RBR at this stage
  • Let's see where they're at after Silverstone — I think that will give us a good idea of the difference in pace between the two cars

Soldato
I didn't realise Honda had done so much to the engine for this year. Seems like they wanted to drop all their updates in this one before they left: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/honda-reveals-development-secrets-of-2021-f1-engine/6417548/

Obviously we don't really know how much has changed but it looks and sounds pretty significant. So maybe their gains this year aren't just RB and their Aero... (As they usually harp on about. Couldn't possibly be their engine giving them performance... ;):o:D //Cries in Renault//)

Caporegime
I'm not sure about the penalties. The ones for perez are probably fine. One for kimi definitely.
One for norris? Not so sure.
But it was fairly consistent (during this gp)

Summary from me.

Another mistake by Ocon. Im saying it every week. But why did alpine sign him for years??
It's hard as a Renault fan watching the team

Bit scrappy by perez. He really should have waited. The risk against a driver with nothing to lose (he's not fighting for the championship) when Drs is about to be turned on seems crazy. He just seemed to get more and more desperate after that. Poor drive all round.

Really quite like the new ferrari team. The drivers are respectful. Leclerc helped his team by not doing a bottas and just letting sainz through. Really like sainz too. Seems a very decent guy. Good strategy too there!

Verstappen was great. Norris was amazing. Totally agree with driver of the day and his defending against perez.

Will be a bit of mental boost for bottas I'm sure.

Unlucky for Russell.

Poor by alpine wonder how alonso would have done without that quali impeding.

Oh. Why do Honda always pull out just when that e are getting good. See brawn! See 2021! :D

Man of Honour
I'm not sure about the penalties. The ones for perez are probably fine. One for kimi definitely.
One for norris? Not so sure.
But it was fairly consistent (during this gp)

Summary from me.

Another mistake by Ocon. Im saying it every week. But why did alpine sign him for years??
It's hard as a Renault fan watching the team

Bit scrappy by perez. He really should have waited. The risk against a driver with nothing to lose (he's not fighting for the championship) when Drs is about to be turned on seems crazy. He just seemed to get more and more desperate after that. Poor drive all round.

Really quite like the new ferrari team. The drivers are respectful. Leclerc helped his team by not doing a bottas and just letting sainz through. Really like sainz too. Seems a very decent guy. Good strategy too there!

Verstappen was great. Norris was amazing. Totally agree with driver of the day and his defending against perez.

Will be a bit of mental boost for bottas I'm sure.

Unlucky for Russell.

Poor by alpine wonder how alonso would have done without that quali impeding.

Oh. Why do Honda always pull out just when that e are getting good. See brawn! See 2021! :D

Yeah some of the penalties were a mess; Lando Norris is now on 10 penalty points leaving him 2 away from a 1 race ban; not sure when the earliest ones drop off. But it seems a bit unfair if he misses a race because of points for that Albon incident (or the Baku red light one to be honest).
Ocon seems to have flattered a little earlier in the season as Alonso was getting up to speed; it seems clear that now he's got back to it that Alonso is the quicker driver (Vettel at AMR as well v Stroll).

Agree on Ferrari and its great to see Sainz doing so well; I personally think that Sainz and Leclerc might be the most closely matched teammates on the grid now.

Soldato
Sorry, currently moving house so can't keep up with the chat. But RBR were gaining like 0.5sec on Lewis almost every lap. Insane. What exactly is the reason for that? Someone mentioned that the Mercedes got nerfed? By what, some rule?

Soldato
Sorry, currently moving house so can't keep up with the chat. But RBR were gaining like 0.5sec on Lewis almost every lap. Insane. What exactly is the reason for that? Someone mentioned that the Mercedes got nerfed? By what, some rule?

Season to season there have been some relatively big aero changes and there was a lot of discussion it impacted low rake designs like Mercedes and AM/RP more so than high rake designs like most of the rest of the grid. There wasn't anything in particular to this race that changed. This particular race was more a damage issue but even without that, Mercedes weren't going to be on par at Austria in all likelihood.

Soldato
But it was pretty much the same last weekend no?

They seem to have suffered more than most from this seasons aero changes. Mainly to do with the rear floor having to be a reduced size. (I think the tyres are heavier too? Don't quote me on that though...) Their lap time difference to last year, like for like is massive.

There have also been mentions of them not bringing upgrades this year either as the cars change completely for next year anyway so they view it as a waste but that could just be standard Merc talk. i.e. "Bono, my tyres have gone" //sets fastest lap// :D

Back
Top Bottom