Average age of VR enthusiasts

Soldato
OP
Hmmmm, is the average age of VR users here representative of the age of forum members, or the age of actual VR users?
Is OCUK a forum for a more mature audience? and so the average may be skewed toward an older demographic?

Associate
Hmmmm, is the average age of VR users here representative of the age of forum members, or the age of actual VR users?
Is OCUK a forum for a more mature audience? and so the average may be skewed toward an older demographic?

I think it could be tied to mature Forum users as this place is geared towards PC enthusiasts which can be an expensive hobby. Usually its an older person who would have a more disposable income.

Me personally, I just turned 49 and stepped in to the VR world with the Oculus CV1 and never looked back. Went on to a Quest but currently using a Quest2.

Soldato
I think it could be tied to mature Forum users as this place is geared towards PC enthusiasts which can be an expensive hobby. Usually its an older person who would have a more disposable income.

Me personally, I just turned 49 and stepped in to the VR world with the Oculus CV1 and never looked back. Went on to a Quest but currently using a Quest2.

You never looked back? You’re missing out on some good stuff in VR behind you.

Soldato
45 here. Always was interested but when I’d watch YouTube videos or the likes I usually went ‘meh’ I’ll wait another gen or 2.
What finally pushed me into getting a quest 2 was the bonkers pricing on gpus. When I realised 400 odd quid wasn’t going to get me an improvement on my vega64 I thought ‘**** it, I’ll give vr a whirl’ and I’m so glad I did. So thank you to AMD and Nvidia :p:p

Soldato
I can't be the youngest here at 29 can I? :o I thought it would've been more a younger audience thing. Maybe you're right about the entry price, I didn't want to pay Q1 prices but the Q2 price was low enough for me (and instead making up the difference in accessories :D).

Soldato
OP
I can't be the youngest here at 29 can I? :o I thought it would've been more a younger audience thing. Maybe you're right about the entry price, I didn't want to pay Q1 prices but the Q2 price was low enough for me (and instead making up the difference in accessories :D).

Sorry, no kids allowed. This is an adult forum.
50743309342_f2ff8e8c04_o_d.gif

Associate
29 here, just got a rift s, essentailly the barrier for me is a GPU with the grunt to give no compromise perf. and at the moment unless you pre ordered thats best part of a grand. who wants to spend a few hundred quid on something that isnt going to be the wow moment you expect. the barrier for entry in terms of cost is still rather high. psvr was the only other thing i tried in a toy store. it was simply awful.

Soldato
29 here, just got a rift s, essentailly the barrier for me is a GPU with the grunt to give no compromise perf. and at the moment unless you pre ordered thats best part of a grand. who wants to spend a few hundred quid on something that isnt going to be the wow moment you expect. the barrier for entry in terms of cost is still rather high. psvr was the only other thing i tried in a toy store. it was simply awful.

Is there a reason you didn't get a quest 2?

Associate
41 here had a rift og in 2017 now an index. I think a lot is to do with disposable income. In my twenties I would not have had the dosh sloshing around to build a decent enough system. Plus I had better things to spend money on like women and clubbing;)

Associate
46 here, into vr since rift dk2 6 years ago, then htc vive, rift cv1 and S, now got a g2 and quest 2. Been gaming since I was about 8 on 8 bit computers. I first saw the rift dk2 on TV on bbc 'click' (tech programme), it featured a dk2 with elite dangerous, 1st time I'd really seen home vr, and I just had to have a go. Now 95% of my gaming is vr.

Agree with the poster above that I had more and better things to do in my 20s ie women and clubbing lol. Have always gamed though even when I had a lot going on in my life, first online multiplayer memories are delta force 2 from about 2000. Does seem vr has an older audience, cost must be a factor. My mates 8 year old grand daughter has a vr headset, forget which one, could be Go.

Soldato
Defo agree that cost is a significant factor.

VR is cool and all but for the typical younger person (by the gods I sound old) if they have to choose between a playstation and a quest, the playstation is going to win 99% of the time. When it comes to PCVR you not only need a pretty decent expensive PC to make it worthwhile but you also need to buy a headset on top of that. Generally people in their teens and twenties tend to be at a lower earnings point in their life (not all of course) so simply have less cash to drop on what is arguably still just a "gaming luxury" if you like.... that and the chasing women part rather than trying to find an excuse to escape the kids for half an hour.

Back
Top Bottom