Average age of VR enthusiasts

Associate
I an newly invigorated thinking I was the only weird non-teen / twenties guy that was 'playing' with VR.
I'm 57 and nice to know there's a whole bunch of us weirdos.

Don't understand why, it can't be the price as modern consoles/games etc are big money. I suspect that whereas consoles allow casual multi-player gaming, the same community just doesn't exist in the VR world.

Given the ages that have been stated here, I'm guessing I'm also not the noly one that isn't into microphone chatting, or indeed multi-player ?

Soldato
Given the ages that have been stated here, I'm guessing I'm also not the noly one that isn't into microphone chatting, or indeed multi-player ?

Yeah I'm not really into chatting online, except occasionally. I've only found a couple of events online where it was fun having a chat. Most of the time it's just kids playing around.

Associate
I’ve spoken to a few people on Eleven Table Tennis, but I generally don’t bother. It’s very easy to still communicate or have a laugh with folk without voice on that.

Associate
53 here. Got the HTC Vive and now using the Valve Index. Mainly for Elite Dangerous and racing games, but looking to expand the range of stuff I explore in VR.

Associate
45, only got into VR last year, because of DCS!

Trouble is, whenever I saw videos of people playing VR games, you just get the pancake view, so was never really that bothered about it. Only when I got it for the first time, and you get the 3D, I was like WOW. In fact I was like WOW for quite a while, and that was with a Rift S. Have a G2 now.

For younger people Im guessing its prohibitive cost wise, knowing how much I spent upgrading my PC to drive the G2.

Possibly, I get the impression many younger people play things like CoD more, so no VR for that. Im hoping the next GTA is VR though.

Soldato
For younger people Im guessing its prohibitive cost wise, knowing how much I spent upgrading my PC to drive the G2.

Man, i know how that works. I was well out the game, from buying the top line in my 20's to the middle/low tier in the downward spiral towards 40. If it ran Diablo and football manager, it was all my system needed to be.

I think the appeal of VR grabbed hold of those that were looking for something different and a little bit more, or those like myself that had been there and done it. Turned the clock back completely, the wandering mind that would look at the clock became fixated again.

Soldato
OP
I an newly invigorated thinking I was the only weird non-teen / twenties guy that was 'playing' with VR.
I'm 57 and nice to know there's a whole bunch of us weirdos.

Welcome to the already invigorated bunch of old fart wierdos.

Given the ages that have been stated here, I'm guessing I'm also not the noly one that isn't into microphone chatting, or indeed multi-player ]?

Sounds like most folks here use VR to get away from people.
50743288142_4132b2c759_o_d.gif

Associate
53 here, so the same age range as most people so far - CV1 for about 4 years, mostly sims and Elite Dangerous. For me this is the closest I've been able to get to the gaming dream we were all sold in the 80s !

Associate
53 here, so the same age range as most people so far - CV1 for about 4 years, mostly sims and Elite Dangerous. For me this is the closest I've been able to get to the gaming dream we were all sold in the 80s !
I remember playing a VR game in a local arcade in the late 80s or early 90s. It was huge, and had to have an attendant to help out. The graphics must have been terrible, but I'd been dreaming of VR ever since

Soldato
You know, we should really start a OCUK VR club or something. A place for the people in this thread to play VR games against and with each other. IT would be good for those who want to try multiplayer but don't want the trouble of playing against complete strangers. There were a few of use who player together before. had some great games of Star Trek, Wardust, Pay Day and Eleven Table Tennis. But there were too few of us back then, maybe now with more people on the OCUK forums, it might be better??

Soldato
You know, we should really start a OCUK VR club or something. A place for the people in this thread to play VR games against and with each other. IT would be good for those who want to try multiplayer but don't want the trouble of playing against complete strangers. There were a few of use who player together before. had some great games of Star Trek, Wardust, Pay Day and Eleven Table Tennis. But there were too few of us back then, maybe now with more people on the OCUK forums, it might be better??

I was thinking of creating a thread for this as I haven't yet added anyone and people posting their username on various threads just gets buried and people have no idea what games everyone plays.

People can then add people who play the same games and organise themselves or within the thread when they want to play. Or could even occasionally organise an 'event' of sorts, whatever could be suitable depending on games/number of people.

Soldato
OP

A VR pub gets my vote.

Soldato
OP
Would be nice. OCUK real vr fishing room could be an idea too? It's only upto 4 people, but it's a nice way to relax together.

what about here - https://atlas.sansar.com/experiences/ai-4784/social-distance-gathering no number limit. It's a bit strange, as the default avatars appear to be in their early twenties although most of the users are quite a bit older.... bring your own beer/wine.

3fed7c13619960400ea36129f4ab8635_1920.jpg

or here - https://atlas.sansar.com/experiences/vintagetales-2991/victorian-christmas

358bb0f4-b02a-4eb1-936f-000b5c4bd870_1920.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom