Poll: Azerbaijan Grand Prix 2018, Baku - Race 4/21

Rate the 2018 Azerbaijan Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
I don't say anything about Hamilton. I think the best/fastest drivers on the grid are Alonso, Max, Hamilton and only after them Vettel, not mentioning the youngsters some of whom can potentially be better than Vettel.

Vettel doesn't win for this biggest team in F1. But blows up all the hard work done by the factory.

From nine points up, he is now four points down. Which is a very significant loss.

I think Vettel is trying to maximize points and went for the win. Mercedes came back strong in the second half of 2017.

He had a solid tow after the SC and I think it was worth a go.

Man of Honour
Could be interesting now. Ferrari can't seem to convert pole into many wins. We know Mercedes can develop more than most others over a season, certainly Ferrari.

I wonder where Mercedes quali pace went or perhaps where Ferrari found their quali pace?

I will certainly look forward to Baku again next year. What a track.

Soldato
I think Vettel is trying to maximize points and went for the win. Mercedes came back strong in the second half of 2017.

He had a solid tow after the SC and I think it was worth a go.

Agreed. There was 3-4 laps left if he was going to get past it was most probably on the restart. And not having Kers for a few laps means he had to give it s shot. And going from leading by 9 points to following by 4 points is anything but catastrophe considering we've got more than 15 races to go .

He gambled .Didn't pay off .That's racing and he was quite relaxed about it .

I think his calmness is also fueled by the fact that hes quietly confident knowing he has a car this season which can now win. Certainly compared to last year's car this time in the season.

Man of Honour
I was surprised too, as the teams are normally also pretty good at identifying debris and telling drivers to avoid. At that point in the straight, I'm not sure where it came from, given the incidents in the race.

Yeah it did seem odd. You'd think they don't have much else to do on the straight, especially at SC speeds, so you'd think one out of 16 or so drivers would have noticed it. Especially if it's a big chunk enough to pop a boot.

Man of Honour
???

Didn't see any of that on the C4 coverage - when they spoke to him, there was no blame apportioned and the message was clear that it didn't matter whose fault it was, just that it must not happen again

http://www.planetf1.com/news/horner-both-drivers-screwed-up/

Horner says both are to blame then he says they (both drivers) have been told to leave room for the other. It seems they just won't point the finger at Max. How many times did Max need to drive into his faster teammate before they reigned him in. Max repeatedly oversteps the mark when defending. Ricciardo's only mistake was for forgetting that Max often moves about under braking.

Agreed. The decision to go for it was the right one; he just got it impressively wrong and flat spotted his tyre badly enough that Perez could take him.

They were all carrying tremendous speed into that corner. I guess everyone left it as late as possible to brake which left Vettel with no option but to go deep. It could have been a brilliant move, there wasn't much in it tbh. Great to see him having a go.

Caporegime
He didn't lead a single lap during the entire race. How come that he won?
Not fair, isn't it? :confused: Like a lottery gambling - pure luck and very unfair.

Chance is an element in any race.

Lewis made one noteable mistake all weekend and otherwise drove somewhere between solidly and excellently (he was setting fastest lap after fastest lap at one stage). This put in him in position when bad luck (Bottas) or a mistake (Vettel) put the cars in front of him out of the race.

Man of Honour
Chance is an element in any race.

Lewis made one noteable mistake all weekend and otherwise drove somewhere between solidly and excellently (he was setting fastest lap after fastest lap at one stage). This put in him in position when bad luck (Bottas) or a mistake (Vettel) put the cars in front of him out of the race.

I was surprised to see how many fastest laps he set when I watched the highlights, I didn't realise at the time. Life isn't always fair and luck usually comes back round. He should have won in Oz if not for a series of errors and bad luck.

Man of Honour
http://www.planetf1.com/news/horner-both-drivers-screwed-up/

Horner says both are to blame then he says they (both drivers) have been told to leave room for the other. It seems they just won't point the finger at Max. How many times did Max need to drive into his faster teammate before they reigned him in. Max repeatedly oversteps the mark when defending. Ricciardo's only mistake was for forgetting that Max often moves about under braking.

I just don't see how Ric can take any blame. Max was straight up blocking. It was the sort of thing you see on F1 online. He goes left, then right, then left again. Immature and just trying his damnest to block.

Max truly is the RB golden boy. Ric needs to go to Ferrari or Merc asap.

Soldato
Has anything been said/identified as to where the debris came from that bottas hit. Lot of post race saying why didn't a Marshall or race control spot it.

The drivers are obviously very vocal usually so wondering if it came off on the restart or as they went round behind safety car. Surprised none of the 14 runners saw anything cruising round.
There was contact between Magnussen and Gasly at the restart, with Gasly saying Magnussen put him in the wall.

Pierre Gasly said:
After the final restart, I had an incident with Magnussen where he put me in the wall, breaking half of my floor, my mirror, and bending my steering.

In the long shot of the restart there's a lot of dust as someone went wide and there are at least 3 pieces bouncing down the track.

http://thisisgav.co.uk/random/images/f1_2018_restart_magnussen-gasly1.jpg

http://thisisgav.co.uk/random/images/f1_2018_restart_magnussen-gasly2.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
He didn't lead a single lap during the entire race. How come that he won?
Not fair, isn't it? :confused: Like a lottery gambling - pure luck and very unfair.

It just makes up for his engine blowing up towards the end of that race a couple of years ago and gifting Rosberg the championship that year. Not sure Seb had to be so banzai though?! Very uncharacteristic of the guy who seems to use his cars and their settings to the fullest and one of the smartest racers on the grid. (Overtaking those guys in the pitlane entry that time etc)

Soldato
I know Seb is copping a lot of flak (not necessarily on here but definitely on ferrari forums) for his attempt at an overtake but isn't that what we want from winners? That they take those chances to win when they present themselves? As a ferrari fan I can't say I'm too upset, the luck in terms of safety cars has gone against Vettel of late (and went for him in Aus) but over the course of a season it's swings and roundabouts. He had no way of knowing Bottas would retire the very next lap. I much prefer his attitude than the like of Bottas who are very much by the percentages.

Soldato
He has the raw pace but skipping the lower formulas has been to the detriment of Max's race craft. He often compromises both himself and the other car with stupid lunges and moves, and can be borderline dangerous sometimes.

Man of Honour
I know Seb is copping a lot of flak (not necessarily on here but definitely on ferrari forums) for his attempt at an overtake but isn't that what we want from winners? That they take those chances to win when they present themselves? As a ferrari fan I can't say I'm too upset, the luck in terms of safety cars has gone against Vettel of late (and went for him in Aus) but over the course of a season it's swings and roundabouts. He had no way of knowing Bottas would retire the very next lap. I much prefer his attitude than the like of Bottas who are very much by the percentages.

I have seen a lot of support for his move, but people will inevitably not understand it. I guess Vettel is also aware of the potential engine/PU penalties that will stack up at the end of the season. I wonder how hard Mercedes in comparison to Ferrari are pushing?

Back
Top Bottom