B450 ITX System

Soldato
@Plec - You got me sold on that cooler, will be ordering this Wednesday. I think I'm outside the return window on the Hyper 212 with OcUK?
Missed this - you have 14 days from receipt of goods - when did you order/receive it?

But, even if you're slightly outside they may consider a swap as it's an upgrade. As long as the box is in same condition etc...

Soldato
OP
Missed this - you have 14 days from receipt of goods - when did you order/receive it?

But, even if you're slightly outside they may consider a swap as it's an upgrade. As long as the box is in same condition etc...

14th April, box and contents remain untouched?

Soldato
14th April, box and contents remain untouched?
Try a post in here and explain your situation and perhaps direct them to this thread proving that you've been actively trying to piece your build together rather than sitting on components watching time pass.

As you're getting the Mugen - does that mean you're getting the Phantek case? If so, and it's from OcUK, that may get you a bit more goodwill on their part. I've always found them to be very helpful in the Customer Services Forum, and they'll usually try their best to accommodate you if it's a reasonable request.

Soldato
OP
Try a post in here and explain your situation and perhaps direct them to this thread proving that you've been actively trying to piece your build together rather than sitting on components watching time pass.

As you're getting the Mugen - does that mean you're getting the Phantek case? If so, and it's from OcUK, that may get you a bit more goodwill on their part. I've always found them to be very helpful in the Customer Services Forum, and they'll usually try their best to accommodate you if it's a reasonable request.

I've just this second done as advised, I'm about 90% sure the Phanteks will be the chosen one, obviously will be ordered from OcUK.

Soldato
I will be ordering the case from here anyway, 90% sure it will be the Phanteks.
Case plus cooler (plus other parts?) and you're within a reasonable time period, i.e. 28 days, you stand a better than average chance of getting it exchanged. As mentioned, they try to accommodate as much as they can and your request isn't unreasonable.

Best of luck.

Soldato
OP
Case plus cooler (plus other parts?) and you're within a reasonable time period, i.e. 28 days, you stand a better than average chance of getting it exchanged. As mentioned, they try to accommodate as much as they can and your request isn't unreasonable.

Best of luck.

Thank you for the advise, I've ordered a fair bit from them. Fingers crossed this weekend it will be all up and running without any hitches!

Spent far too much time researching, should be a good setup from what I have in front of me now.

Soldato
And these might interest you - had them ready in case you changed your mind on cooler - shows what's possible with case and cooler options (Dark Rock Pro 4 is the new incarnation):

p74ZzkC.jpg

a3SkA8X.jpg

Soldato
OP
And these might interest you - had them ready in case you changed your mind on cooler - shows what's possible with case and cooler options (Dark Rock Pro 4 is the new incarnation):

p74ZzkC.jpg

a3SkA8X.jpg

That is enormous! Won't see me RGB though? It's as big as the motherboard? To be honest I've not got a lot of options on cases, Level 20 VT? Gamers Nexus say it has poor airflow though. So it's looking more like the Phanteks on Thursday.

Soldato
OP
That's the bonus! :D

Oddly enough, i was thinking about that with the @GIGA-Man, Gigabyte build competition - if you stick a big cooler on you will kinda eliminate yourself from the running with ITX builds. Unless...

(I should add - i know next to nothing about this cooler):

2ZgWjDK.jpg

5gI8B3v.jpg

I've seen some itx builds running the Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4. Similar clearance to the 212 but noticed 1-2mm extra clearance?

Soldato
I've seen some itx builds running the Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4. Similar clearance to the 212 but noticed 1-2mm extra clearance?
Yes, the Noctua is only 71mm depth (with fan) as opposed to 77mm for the Evo - so you would gain another 2/3mm over the Cooler Master (taking into account that's overall depth and manufacturing/fan attachment tolerances.).

Going to have to look at the Gigabyte dimensions now, out of curiosity...

Soldato
OP
Yes, the Noctua is only 71mm depth (with fan) as opposed to 77mm for the Evo - so you would gain another 2/3mm over the Cooler Master (taking into account that's overall depth.).

Going to have to look at the Gigabyte dimensions now, out of curiosity...

Might put the Noctua on the list, colour isn't appealing but performance matters most.

Soldato
OP
They do black fans and heatsink shrouds, to totally addle your brain (not cheap):

It's slightly more expensive than the other recommendations but it looks like it'll solve the clearance issues!

Can always change to the Chromax packs at a later stage?

Soldato
It's slightly more expensive than the other recommendations but it looks like it'll solve the clearance issues!
It will certainly resolve your Cooler Master uncertainty - when comparing only to that.

The Mugen will obviously resolve the issue too - but understand the heatsink has an appreciably larger footprint; which you may think overwhelms your build/motherboard - totally understand, if this is the case (the added problems of internal aesthetics with windowed cases :)).

Can always change to the Chromax packs at a later stage?
Sure - not an issue. The fan plus shroud comes to ~£38 - but you get all colour combinations within the kit/fan. Ridiculously expensive - but admit it would look funky if you colour coordinated it properly to your other components.

Soldato
OP
It will certainly resolve your Cooler Master uncertainty - when comparing only to that.

The Mugen will obviously resolve the issue too - but understand the heatsink has an appreciably larger footprint; which you may think overwhelms your build/motherboard - totally understand, if this is the case (the added problems of internal aesthetics with windowed cases :)).

Sure - not an issue. The fan plus shroud comes to ~£38 - but you get all colour combinations within the kit/fan. Ridiculously expensive - but admit it would look funky if you colour coordinated it properly to your other components.

I'm pretty sure you can get slim Noctua fans but not in black and more expensive again.

I've put a thread in CS and awaiting a reply now, probably tomorrow. I'll report back with my experience with them soon.

Have you heard of the Lian Li TU150?

Last edited:
Soldato
Can't find availability, prototype?
That looks like a dedicated LAN case - regardless of what they say.

I've only had a quick look - but i'm not sold on the PSU position as it's at the front of the case and the PSU back/vents directly at the back panel - which makes no sense. From initial look i thought it was vented via a shroud at the top (its not - I checked) - but on this clip you can quite clearly see the back of the PSU when he takes the side panel off - about 2 minutes and 50 seconds in :/

Would need to see a proper review...

Soldato
OP
That looks like a dedicated LAN case - regardless of what they say.

I've only had a quick look - but i'm not sold on the PSU position as it's at the front of the case and the PSU back/vents directly at the back panel - which makes no sense. From initial look i thought it was vented via a shroud at the top (its not - I checked) - but on this clip you can quite clearly see the back of the PSU when he takes the side panel off - about 2 minutes and 50 seconds in :/

Would need to see a proper review...

Agreed. Not much choice for ITX cases, so looking highly likely to be the Phanteks. Don't want another NZXT experience, and can't do the Phanteks Shift.

Back
Top Bottom