B450 ITX System

Soldato
OP
Soldato
thing with most itx cases are that they are only 2 slot, and the psu/psu shroud is directly underneath the gpu.
so the gpu fans will get starved of air. it's like putting the gpu vertical mounted next to the side panel...
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3324-fact-check-cablemod-vertical-gpu-thermals-vs-stock-h500m
Yeah, the results are promising on the H500 - and if results scale across to similar designed ITX cases I suspect that this would become a very common staple on ITX models. Although, a couple of threads have popped up with PC/GPU issues that have turned out to be the riser/extender cables - so wince about the quality of the ones that will/may be supplied with budget cases as they're not cheap - e.g. a quality Thermaltake extender £60! :/

Nice to see what was originally a vanity introduction to cases have some thermal benefits when applied properly - can't believe that Cooler Master didn't recognise it off-the-bat while they were stylising the case originally...

Man of Honour
It's tricky, the only option left is to buy the Phanteks Evolv MATX version over the ITX?
What about the Corsair 280X?
Or get the neo-g mini with a 3 slot design and get an aio cooler. Lol

Nice to see what was originally a vanity introduction to cases have some thermal benefits when applied properly - can't believe that Cooler Master didn't recognise it off-the-bat while they were stylising the case originally...
Only if it's mounted far enough away from the side panel. H500 stock vertical mount doesn't do that...it's right up against the side panel. The cablemod mod alleviates that somewhat

Soldato
Only if it's mounted far enough away from the side panel. H500 stock vertical mount doesn't do that...it's right up against the side panel. The cablemod mod alleviates that somewhat
Yeah, that's what i meant - must have got lost in translation. :)

Soldato
Going to stick with air cooling for this build.
What about the Corsair 280X?
That's a great case - but it kinda pee's all over your budget and adds sprinkles on top.

The Phantek Evolv is a good case for the money and fits your brief (air cooler). @tamzzy rightly points out these layouts do have thermal hotspots - but this is the compromise you make when buying ITX within a budget while trying to keep things relatively small and silent.

The vertical solution is a relatively new innovation, and from @tamzzy's link will probably gain more traction as it ticks all boxes: aesthetics, thermal solution and by extension a quieter units (plus, bonus geek factor). You should re-read reviews of the Phantek evolve - as the thermal scores with decent CPU/case airflow are nothing to be concerned about. Yes, they're warmer when compared to a larger vented case - but that's to be expected. As long as temps are still comfortably within tolerance it's not an issue.

And the below is with a toasty R9 290 - although AIO in use - but a quality air cooler will still do the job:

2ZYOo3r.jpg

Soldato
OP
It'll more likely be the Phanteks without a doubt, just throwing some cases out there.

As soon as I hear back from CS, I can get the wheels in motion on the last 2 components. Just want to get this area right.

I've not set a budget, but probably £150 is my max!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just a build update...

Decided and now ordered the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv MATX in Galaxy Silver, took onboard airflow concerns.

Why the choice in colour you might ask? Well my Founders Edition RTX turned up today and would look great with the case and cooler I've ordered.

Black and silver with some RGB?

Also ordered 2 Noctua NF-A14 fans to complete the build, plus made some other hardware changes so standby for photos!

Man of Honour
Decided and now ordered the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv MATX in Galaxy Silver, took onboard airflow concerns.
to be honest i'd avoid (most of) the enthoo range. although they look good, the front panel is very restrictive.
the redesigned front and top panel from the atx range never made it down to the matx and mini itx versions.

Soldato
OP
I took all advise onboard and didn't want the GPU slapped on top of the PSU shroud and suffocating it.

To be fair I'm not doing any heavy OC'ing, so I doubt airflow will be a major concern now.

Soldato
to be honest i'd avoid (most of) the enthoo range. although they look good, the front panel is very restrictive.
He's ordered it, tamzzy. :)

I'm going to make him happier about his purchase, right:
I've built with the MATX evolve - personally, i found it a quality case - relatively pricey but the quality seemed to justify price compared to other case of similar price. Cooling wasn't an issue with extra fans and quality cooler. And with your addition of 2 quality Noctuas coupled with the NH-U12 you shouldn't have any thermal issues and the extra space for the GPU will certainly keep things frosty. Set up a decent fan curve and things will be nice a quiet too when browsing/working.

Here's a review to keep keep you happy - Clicky

Why the choice in colour you might ask? Well my Founders Edition RTX turned up today and would look great with the case and cooler I've ordered.
Yeah, the Founders edition should compliment the case and board nicely - as for the RGB, no idea - i like subtle under lighting affects/faint glow (but my personal build components are subjected to complete darkness with padding).

plus made some other hardware changes so standby for photos!
Look forward to it - best of luck.

Hardware hints?

Soldato
To be fair I'm not doing any heavy OC'ing, so I doubt airflow will be a major concern now.
It would cope - cooling is relative, and the MATX Evolve with your ITX and fan set up would take whatever clock the CPU/fan could manage. The CPU would buckle due to silicon lottery (voltage) rather than thermal issues due to case. Your temps will be fine and your GPU will have a sizeable gap between it and the PSU with an ITX in MATX case.

@tamzzy advice re: PSU placement with the ITX case was sound - and your temps will be overall cooler in the MATX box. Your GPU will certainly be sweating a lot less...

Back
Top Bottom