B550 Aorus Master - 14x 70amps Direct Phases ! 980a Vcore...insane

Soldato
OP
As long as Pcie 3 is the new min on B550 it should be more than adequate, really hoping to see some boards with capability of dual x8 slots

Believe the master is , just only the primary is reinforced .
Only 2 boards have triple m.2 slots being this and the Taichi, but if rest if range did guessing x570 sales would be gone !

Will be switching from x470 Aorus 7 to this !

good lookin board that!
msi unify all matt black seems real appealing also

Doea look good, glad the didn't use the new z490 IO cover but wishing they used the z490 cover over the chipset and m.2 though . Bridge the gaps in the product lines.

Think this is the only board with straight phases, 14+2 . Think Taichi, Unify and Strix use doublers

Soldato
If I was reading this in July 2019 I would have thought great and probably would have brought one but they have arrived to late and it looks like they will have a substantial price increase over b450 with many features a budget/low end user won't need.

Soldato
OP
If I was reading this in July 2019 I would have thought great and probably would have brought one but they have arrived to late and it looks like they will have a substantial price increase over b450 with many features a budget/low end user won't need.

From £100 to £200 , replacing entry x570 boards.

Want b450 pricing before they shot up, then A520 - ryzen 3000 doesn't need to be manually overclocked

Soldato
Where is A520 though what budget option is available now with ongoing support?

Cheap CPUs are all well and good but not if the motherboards are either unavailable or expensive.

Soldato
OP
Where is A520 though what budget option is available now with ongoing support?

Cheap CPUs are all well and good but not if the motherboards are either unavailable or expensive.

B450 aren't budget, not anymore. Toma released at £80 price, now it's £125 odd. Regardless if max version as it's just a larger bios chip that costs $1 extra .
People will just have to wait . Personally now would just wait a month for £80 b550 gigabyte UD or its rival equivalent .

Life suck but AMD has to make money . Best value to to wait as above :)

Soldato
B450 aren't budget, not anymore. Toma released at £80 price, now it's £125 odd. Regardless if max version as it's just a larger bios chip that costs $1 extra .
People will just have to wait . Personally now would just wait a month for £80 b550 gigabyte UD or its rival equivalent .

Life suck but AMD has to make money . Best value to to wait as above :)
If the now obsolete tomahawk is going for £130 then God knows how much the b550 will roll out at.

Soldato
Looks a nice board. As long as it's not better than my Aorus Master X570 I'll be happy ;) In all seriousness though it's good to see so many quality motherboards available for AMD these days.

Soldato
OP
Looks a nice board. As long as it's not better than my Aorus Master X570 I'll be happy ;) In all seriousness though it's good to see so many quality motherboards available for AMD these days.

X570 master = 12x70amps Straight , 6 layer PCB and higher PCIe4.0 lanes , dual 8 pins

B550 master = 14 phases straight (me get be 50/55amps) , 6 layer PCB , less PCIe 4.0 lanes , 4+8 pin

If you want the best but no after full PCIe 4.0 implementation then you'll go B550 master , want full fat is 570 Master . Least with Aorus I think b550 range goes underneath their x570 counter part for power but cheaper with less PCIe 4.0 and PCB layers

Soldato
X570 master = 12x70amps Straight , 6 layer PCB and higher PCIe4.0 lanes , dual 8 pins

B550 master = 14 phases straight (me get be 50/55amps) , 6 layer PCB , less PCIe 4.0 lanes , 4+8 pin

If you want the best but no after full PCIe 4.0 implementation then you'll go B550 master , want full fat is 570 Master . Least with Aorus I think b550 range goes underneath their x570 counter part for power but cheaper with less PCIe 4.0 and PCB layers
Would you mind elaborating on this a little bit? I'm just looking up the necessaries for an upgrade from a q6600 so I'm out of the loop.

What's significant about how much power the phases have? Is this to support the boost in the 3000 series, for example?

Why do the number of pcb layers matter?

You've said "if you want the best but no after full PCIe 4.0 implementation then you'll go B550 master" - is it just the number of pcie 4.0 slots (for the super fast m2 ssds) that are limited? They aren't slower or anything? I will likely just have large primary m2 ssd for o/s and game performance and then SATA for storage so I assume this won't be a problem?

Thanks!

Soldato
OP
Would you mind elaborating on this a little bit? I'm just looking up the necessaries for an upgrade from a q6600 so I'm out of the loop.

Why do the number of pcb layers matter?

You've said "if you want the best but no after full PCIe 4.0 implementation then you'll go B550 master" - is it just the number of pcie 4.0 slots (for the super fast m2 ssds) that are limited? They aren't slower or anything? I will likely just have large primary m2 ssd for o/s and game performance and then SATA for storage so I assume this won't be a problem?

Thanks!

More phases, the better the power delivery for either high number of cores or very high overclocked with voltage or both ! Less chances of CPU speed throttling down .

More layers normally equals more complex engineering to minimise interference in the circuitry.

For gaming and more applications, your not going to see a difference between PCIe 3.0 and 4.0 ssd.
Flagship b550 match mid range x570 for having 3x m.2 slots are slightly cheaper prices so sorted in storage front

Soldato
For gaming and more applications, your not going to see a difference between PCIe 3.0 and 4.0 ssd.
Flagship b550 match mid range x570 for having 3x m.2 slots are slightly cheaper prices so sorted in storage front
Am i right in saying that PCIe 4.0 will enable future graphics cards to take advantage of being able to load textures super fast? E.G. The Unreal PS5 demo?

I want a system that i'm going to be able to run with for a little while - So i haven't got an M2 drive now, only have an RX 480 and will buy 16gb of RAM and a Ryzen 3600. But in the future I can drop an M2 drive in, a high powered graphics card, a top end Ryzen 3/4 and another 16gb of RAM et voila - a PS5 Unreal demo level system.

Last edited:
Soldato
Am i right in saying that PCIe 4.0 will enable future graphics cards to take advantage of being able to load textures super fast? E.G. The Unreal PS5 demo?

I want a system that i'm going to be able to run with for a little while So i haven't got an M2 drive now, only have an RX 480 and will buy 16gb of RAM and a Ryzen 3600. But in the future I can drop an M2 drive in, a high powered graphics card, a top end Ryzen 3/4 and another 16gb of RAM et voila - a PS5 Unreal demo level system.

thats my situation atm.
I think having the option of the 4600 or higher second hand in a few years time will be good

Associate
Bandwidth has always been a secondary consideration for gaming performance, as PC's and consoles have always been hobbled by spinning-disk speed and download size limitations. So, you massively compress assets at install, then decompress into the GPU memory when requested by the game.

Have a fast SSD... the games don't care. You might get a level to load in a bit quicker, but the game isn't designed to make use of that extra performance.

This is about to change, thanks to the new consoles. And it will effect [future] cross-platform games that were designed to use this ability to stream huge quantities of uncompressed assets live in the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f8Vhoh9Y3Q

A B550 with a PCIe 4.0 SSD and a fast GPU on the PCIe 4.0 slot is going to be a real asset [in future], and this seems like a great time buy cheap eight-core Zen2 CPU's.

Back
Top Bottom