Back4Blood

Caporegime
Huge point. In L4D running off on your own was the fast ticket to getting pounced/tongued/ridden/pinned and that threat just isn't really there in B4B - I think maybe one of the specials has a move that locks you to the ground in goo but that's the only one
There’s some guy that grabs you but you have a taser that the game prompts you to use. Due to this there’s no real risk, you won’t die if pinned by a Hunter like you can quite easily in L4D by solo Rambo-ing like you’re Ash from the Evil Dead.

Associate
Should have called it zombie shooter game, it's so generic, there's already killing floor 2, l4d, wwz and dying light all have something special about them but back for blood seems to do absolutely nothing these games don't? Also the melee is so so ****, glad its on game pass no way worth the full price imo and adding too the insane price you just know they are going too try lube up the playerbase them ram them hard with the inevitable cash shop

Soldato
I'm really enjoying this. Gameplay is great and after updating the drivers and switching to DirectX12 in game I get 100fps with Epic settings :)

I won't be buying it at £50 though, will eiat a few months for it to go half thst price. Its a fun shooter with friends but with random it loses its appeal quickly

Associate
The fun aspect in it for me is in the higher difficulties when playing with people who know how to play. Its just like you barely scrap by with your ammo and for every 100meters you push forward you get pushed back by a bruiser and a horde in some situation so you make your way forward step by step using the ammo as efficiently as possible. It's definitely something different and imo would need at least a year more of development with more maps and especially completely throw the versus as it is out of the window and return to the campaign type versus as it were in l4d. The Hunter/Spitter type infected also could use a health buff or something, feels kinda irrelevant.

Caporegime
Remember the super hard difficult on l4d2 with no outlines?

Trying to tell people where you were when pulled etc
:D

Edit:expert realism!

Soldato
Played it tonight, bit gutted tbh, thought it would be better. Feels clunky in the movement, there was terrible lag at points between shooting and a zombie getting hit/dropping, maybe that was a server issue, I only used quick game. Overall it felt like an alpha at best. Will need huge improvements for me to part with £40.

Associate
As with L4D, great fun with a group. Pulling money to buy upgrades seems key, sharing, items and buying team upgrades. PVP is quite broken currently with some of the zombie builds you can do. One of the Tallboy classes ends up with insane amounts of HP and regen at level 3 defence. Will almost out regen being on fire.

Soldato
very mehh....

Guns felt so "similar" - everything basically one shots the zombies.... Nothing felt any different. Fairly "linear" - walk forward, kill, walk forward, kill. Even as a group of 4, it was just a bit dull...

Uninstalled the demo after about 45 minutes of play - Just nothing "fresh" or new about it - very vanilla.

Soldato
I really liked it. As with L4D it's much more fun with 4 friends than playing with randoms, god forbid you get stuck with the bots as they're utterly useless.

But in a group of friends on a harder difficulty, it seems like it could be a blast for pick up and play fun

Soldato
Harder difficulty is a must. We started on "Veteran" and got about half way through the campaign before we lost, then decided to restart on the easy difficulty just so that we could see the whole campaign (and understand what to actually do at each bit). Ended up regretting it a bit as it was really pretty trivial and boring, especially the finale which I can imagine being quite cool on harder settings but on easy was an absolute cakewalk and extremely anticlimactic!

Associate
Nightmare is something else that's for sure. Lots of running away to get distance and better choke points. When you get swarmed by armoured, exploding common, on top of a couple special it gets rather challenging.

I feel the game is successful at what it's trying to be. Nothing groundbreaking but an enjoyable group game. Personally I see a month ish of gameplay from it before having my fill.

Soldato
Yep, I agree.
Without any meaningful PvP, decent modding support or an engaging gameplay loop in the campaign I do fear for the games longevity.

I mean looking at the campaign maps in PVP, some of the setup locations for specific Infected to engage were amazing, walking around corners being paranoid about whether you were going to get charged off a cliff, or a smoker pull off a ledge is half the reason its so good. Nailing that dude that though it was clever to try and rush the map just felt so satisfying.

Also look at the sheer number of utterly amazing custom maps available in L4D2, all of which can be played online with a simple click of a button in game. Maps like Suicide Blitz 2, Warcelona and Daybreak only add to the experience overall and serve to show why its still played daily by 10k+ players.

Associate
Played a couple of hours with a mate on XB last night, very similar to L4D2, definitely enjoyed it.

There's a bit more progression with the unlocking of cards etc.

I don't think I'd buy it at full price, but as Forza Horizon 5 comes out in Nov theoretically, I'll probably re-sub to game pass for a few months for that and will play through more of this at the same time.
The biggest benefit for me over L4D is the fact that crossplay is enabled and works without much hassle (including VOIP in game), as most of my friends are console peasants :p

P.S. I believe the beta is supposed to have finished 2 hours ago, but I just launched it and it loaded to the camp area without problems....although I didn't try to actually load up a campaign!

Soldato
P.S. I believe the beta is supposed to have finished 2 hours ago, but I just launched it and it loaded to the camp area without problems....although I didn't try to actually load up a campaign!
Yes that's normal, happened with the closed beta as well, there isn't anything to do in the camp area so it doesn't really matter to the devs.

Soldato
Didn't get a chance to enjoy it, constant freezing when zombies spawn going down to 1fps for a few seconds than back to 60, tested lots of settings, didn't change anything.

Associate
OP
Yea we noticed that too, didn't last a few seconds but definite frame drop when they spawned. I assumed it was server related.

Back
Top Bottom