Bakers refuse Gay wedding cake - update: Supreme Court rules in favour of Bakers

I don't mind people pointing out spelling mistakes but not as a counterpoint to try and dismiss my argument.

But he criticised your point, then added it in the end. You seem to have dismissed everything he said based on the fact that he criticised your punctuation, which is what you're claiming he's doing.

Please quote where I said those exact things. Otherwise I'm calling you a liar and someone who will say anything in order to win an argument.

The best way of creating some sort of equality is for other demographics to push their way up. There are countless examples of individuals from other demographics doing so so it's not impossible.

People who aren't straight, white males should even the playing field by becoming as, if not more, appealing.

How do minorities become "more appealing" when people like you and anything I don't mind exist. The only reason they are less appealing is because they are considered "less than".

Really? You can't figure it out?

They could

• work harder
  • be more polite
  • commit to their role better
  • be more punctual

I guess I must be the only one drawing the conclusion that he sees minorities as people who are workshy, impolite, slackers who are poor timekeepers and that's the only reason they are hired, to fill a quota.

Ashers don't advertise themselves as being a Christian Bakery that only sells "straight" cakes. If they did then maybe "the gays" would have gone to a different bakery. You can't operate a public business that doesn't target a specific market then deny a product to someone just because it is against their beliefs, that is the law.

Yes you can. They're not denying 'a product' in the general sense they're refusing to be involved with making a specific product.

Does a printer need to advertise itself as anti-fascist in order to turn down BNP fliers?

Would an Arab owned newspaper need to state up front it's opposition to Israel before it turns down some Jewish organisation's pro Isaraeli advert?

I guess I must be the only one drawing the conclusion that he sees minorities as people who are workshy, impolite, slackers who are poor timekeepers.

To be fair what he is saying is that for him to hire someone that isn't a white heterosexual male they have to be better than a white heterosexual male not that they are workshy, impolite, slackers who are poor timekeepers.

If a business does not have the right to decide who to do business with then he has no rights and that is a slippery slope.
In logic and critical thinking, a slippery slope is a logical device, but it is usually known under its fallacious form, in which a person asserts that some event must inevitably follow from another without any rational argument or demonstrable mechanism for the inevitability of the event in question.

:o

To be fair what he is saying is that for him to hire someone that isn't a white heterosexual male they have to be better than a white heterosexual male not that they are workshy, impolite, slackers who are poor timekeepers.

I am at a loss though why he thinks that they don't work as hard if not harder as white males, and if they work equally as hard why would he hire the white males first?

I don't mind people pointing out spelling mistakes but not as a counterpoint to try and dismiss my argument.

I guess I must be the only one drawing the conclusion that he sees minorities as people who are workshy, impolite, slackers who are poor timekeepers and that's the only reason they are hired, to fill a quota.

Your error regarding the meaning of the word "can't" impacted on the entirety of this part of your argument though - "You cant judge a whole race or section of society by the actions of one person."

Draw whatever conclusions you like, I'm waiting for you to quote where I said those things you accused me of saying.

A bus driver taking fifteen Conservative supporters to an event isn't supporting the Conservative party - there is no reason to bring in personal beliefs into a standard business transaction.

There is every reason to do so when it comes to creating something. It's a basic freedom of speech/freedom of expression issue.

I simply disagree that baking a cake is an action of support to a political view (I also don't agree that equality is a political argument to begin with) they may not share. They are free to not support equal rights for gay marriage, their business on the other hand is not.

Its a political argument whether you're so sure you're on the right side of it or not. There are uneven numbers of men and women therefore I propose that all marriage creates inequality... I'm anti marriage on the basis of equality... or at least I could be if I chose to have that view... it's as valid as anyone else's view as it's just that, a view....

There is every reason to do so when it comes to creating something. It's a basic freedom of speech/freedom of expression issue.

You can choose what to create or not create in your private life, you are more restricted when it comes to running a business.

it's as valid as anyone else's view as it's just that, a view....

I don't agree that all views are equally valid.

Just to be perfectly clear though that doesn't mean I don't think people have the right to hold whatever view they like.

I am at a loss though why he thinks that they don't work as hard if not harder as white males, and if they work equally as hard why would he hire the white males first?

I have absolutely no idea.

You're back to misquoting me Mart, it's a poor show, don't do it.

I'm still waiting for you to quote where I said those things. We both know you can't :)

Love the "how extreme can we make our examples" attitude here.

My view is the same. A business trades as a business, nothing more nothing less. A business does not pick and choose what work it wishes to take on based on the personal views of their employees.

It does on the views of the owners/management though.

Most creative businesses do - we had a photographer in here saying he refuses to do selective colouring - that's his call... his creations - if a client wants it they can find a different photographer. People doing custom work have the right to turn down work - they have freedom if expression/freedom of speech. Turning down particular work != turning down particular customers.

The only vision I have of a lazy black male is one you gave to me, you said minorities should try harder and are only hired to fit a quota. Then I asked how these minorities could be more appealing and you said because they are lazy, impolite and poor time keepers, these are your own words not mine.

Please quote where I said those exact things. Otherwise I'm calling you a liar and someone who will say anything in order to win an argument.

I'll be specific so you can't wrangle out of it:

- The only vision I have of a lazy black male is one you gave to me
- you said minorities should try harder
- only hired to fit a quota
- they are lazy, impolite and poor time keepers

Seeing as "these are your own words not mine." that shouldn't be too difficult.

You are one of those smartarses who like to rile people up, you and I both know what you implied, you just don't have the balls to admit it.

Back to insults as you can't prove your assertions. I'm still waiting Mart.

You can choose what to create or not create in your private life, you are more restricted when it comes to running a business.

No you're not... or at least shouldn't be - that's the whole distinction that will have to be made here - it's the customer that's protected from discrimination not the individual products... you're not forced to support something just because a customer wants you to. A baker isn't obliged to go ahead any more than a newspaper is obliged to compromise his editorial stance and allow an advert that goes against it.

Back
Top Bottom