Bakers refuse Gay wedding cake - update: Supreme Court rules in favour of Bakers

Actually I'm thinking more of the world knows what a Republican is, or Loyalism, these are not terms reserved for NI.
"us lot", must have learned to read for ourselves then.

No because you are trying to tie the words down to a hard and fast meaning whereas they are nice shorthand to hide the bigotry, this tendency to hold to precise hard rules and definitions might be a clue as to why the fighting has lasted so long.

I reckon you're just sore because you didn't get the Queen joke.

Because they thought they might be speaking to reasonable adults, then went on to give them suggestions of other bakers that could do it for them?

but as a business they must have (or at least should have) known they were leaving themselves open to a claim of discrimination. and suggesting other bakers may seem like mighty big of them but it was only further reinforcing the fact they were being discriminatory.

No because you are trying to tie the words down to a hard and fast meaning whereas they are nice shorthand to hide the bigotry, this tendency to hold to precise hard rules and definitions might be a clue as to why the fighting has lasted so long.

I reckon you're just sore because you didn't get the Queen joke.

Lol, you really haven't a clue what you are on about.
Media took the meanings and over the years they have tried to apply them to everyone, it hasnr worked here though. I know what you mean though, its like saying every loyalist must hate ever republican, etc, that's also not true, thought it what some would want you to think.

Last edited:
but as a business they must have (or at least should have) known they were leaving themselves open to a claim of discrimination. and suggesting other bakers may seem like mighty big of them but it was only further reinforcing the fact they were being discriminatory.

I'm sure they might be thinking that now, but that's just hindsight which is a waste of time. They didn't discriminate against them being gay, not like they didn't know about it when they initially take the order from them, its when they came in with the picture and message they didn't want to do.

Indeed. They discriminated.
They made their point, and made it very clearly.
Now they have been found guilty of discrimination.

Lol, you really haven't a clue what you are on about.
Media took the meanings and over the years they have tried to apply them to everyone, it hasnr worked here though.

But it's worked everywhere else, the end is the bakers are now criminalised because their protestant bigotry and fear of looking bad to the rest of the loyalist community swayed their minds.

If a Christian couple went into a bakers owned by gay people and asked for an anti gay marriage cake and the bakers said no because they believe that gays should be able to get married then they would be breaking the law as well.

Exactly.

The issue is that people really enjoy slamming their sexuality in people's faces and this is more the case with homosexuals. It's just always in my face.

No one cares if your're a homosexual or whatever sexual, especially me because I'm not currently seeking sexual relations.

The fact is I see more homosexuals kissing in public than I do heterosexuals. 99% of heterosexual couples and individuals I see in public do absolutely nothing to advertise their perversities and lack of sexual patience. It seems as if more homo-couples I see in public do more to exhibit their sexuality than hetero-couples.

The fact is I see more homosexuals kissing in public than I do heterosexuals. 99% of heterosexual couples and individuals I see in public do absolutely nothing to advertise their perversities and lack of sexual patience. It seems as if more homo-couples I see in public do more to exhibit their sexuality than hetero-couples.

I'm calling BS (unless you live in Brighton :p).

I suspect when you see a heterosexual couple passionately kissing you ignore and forget it, but when you see two men or women doing it you blow it up in your mind and remember it, leading to the false conclusion that gay people are more sexually exhibitionist.

I go out a lot in my small city and in London and I see far, far, far more overt displays of heterosexual interaction than homosexual interaction. I don't think I've ever seen two men getting off where I live and when I see it in London there are 30 odd heterosexual couples to counteract them.

Exactly.

The issue is that people really enjoy slamming their sexuality in people's faces and this is more the case with homosexuals. It's just always in my face.

No one cares if your're a homosexual or whatever sexual, especially me because I'm not currently seeking sexual relations.

I'm finding this very, very hard to believe.

So, if the couple who wanted the cake were a man and woman (and wanted the same cake), and it was refused, would there be an issue? I don't see that the bakery is discriminating against the customers because they are gay, they are simply refusing to create a cake with a particular message.

Funny how Ashers use uniforms made of more than one type of cloth, how they sell shellfish/pork products and are open on Sundays.

Yet somehow those bits from their Holy book get overlooked for profit but homosexuality...oh no!!!!

If these so-called 'born again Christians' were that dedicated to their Holy book then they would apply all of it and not just the bits that fit their personal modern compasses.

Christians who blame their issue with Gay Marriage on some kind of devout commitment to scripture remind me of people in the 60s who said they didn't want black people moving into the neighbourhood not because they were racist, but because they were so loving they feared these new immigrants would be bullied.

Stop hiding and just admit you're bigoted and then we can move on.

So, if the couple who wanted the cake were a man and woman (and wanted the same cake), and it was refused, would there be an issue? I don't see that the bakery is discriminating against the customers because they are gay, they are simply refusing to create a cake with a particular message.

That isn't the issue, the Judge made it clear where they thought there were double standards from Ashers...

The judge told the court she believed that if a heterosexual person had ordered a cake with graphics promoting "heterosexual marriage" or simply "marriage", the order would have been fulfilled.

"I have no doubt such a cake would have been provided. It is the word 'gay' to which the second and third defendants took exception, the connotation of gay marriage which the defendants regarded as sinful."

In other words, had Ashers proven they would refuse all cakes that promoted marriage they would have won. But specifically opposing gay marriage but not heterosexual marriage shows that the 'gay' element is the deciding factor and not the 'marriage' bit.

Back
Top Bottom