Bakers refuse Gay wedding cake - update: Supreme Court rules in favour of Bakers

You're saying that it's not discriminatory because no-one would be allowed a gay cake?

You have an almost clever way of never actually answering anything presented to you.

I believe that this were to be true:

Gay couple request gay cake = baker denies.
Hetero couple request gay cake = baker denies.

Gay couple requests non-gay cake = baker accepts.
Hetero couple requests non-gay cake = baker accepts.

I would find it hard to believe that bakery has never served a gay person.

So all I am saying is that I don't feel this was an attack on the couple as such. Just the message.

Much in the same way if I could understand bakers if they refused to make a cake with pro-war, or pro-abortion, or pro-capital punishment if it were fundamentally against their beliefs.

Last edited:
The law is the law, you can't pick and choose how to apply the same law based on what you personally believe is trivial.

No it should be based on what is actually trivial.

Like this case.

Even then if it did go to court, the ONLY sensible judgwment should be that the Baker had to make the cake.

What we have here is an entirely ludicrous situation that should have been solved by either walking away, adult discussion, or simply respecting the rights of others to not do not have a part of promoting something they don't agree with.
I entirely agree that Homosexuals of either gender should have entirely the same rights as straight people, however, this isnt a case of "rights" as they have not been prevented from exercising their "rights".

Its nobodies right to request a cake with a slogan on it of any type.

Last edited:
Is it discriminatory to allow straight couples to marry but not gay ones?
Is it discriminatory to allow mixed sex couples to stay in your hotel but not same sex ones?
Is it discriminatory to allow straight couples to get family discounts at tourist attractions but not homosexual ones?

Because those gay people could just go and hetero-up and enjoy the same privileges as straights, couldn't they, so no discrimination here :rolleyes:

I said as far back as 20 years ago that gay people should be able to marry. I want them to have an equal shot at misery.

Yes it does, there was no rational reason to refuse the order. they self-admitted they refused the order due to their homophobic beliefs.

I would have thought that actual homophobia, not the sensationalist version, would require that they be scared of gay people.

Not disagreeing with a lifestyle. I don't think it's right that they do, but that's their choice, however.

The rational reasoning though, is that it goes against their religious views. There isn't anything irrational about that. Disliking something isn't the same as it not being rational, and just because you don't believe in religion, doesn't mean the belief in religion is irrational.

Then they should work in such a customer facing job, they had an easy choice. Most o us have to do things against our beliefs and we have zero choice on the matter. I don't like it when my tax money is spent on wars or pointlessly long prison sentences, it goes against my beliefs, but I have no right not to pay taxes unlike the bakers who had the freedom to change careers. The bakers had their freedom to hold what ever belief they want, but that belief cannot discriminate against others when running a business.

Again, they shouldn't be in a public facing job if they have such issues.

They shouldn't, but they are. We don't live in an ideal world, and these are the sort of things that crop up in a world that is less than ideal.

This just sounds like a "I get forced to do stuff I don't want to do that are against my beliefs, so they should too!"

The laws aren't supposed to stop people believing in what they want to, just prevent them affecting others.

IF someone is robbed on the street do you think they should just get on with their lives or do you think it should be reported to the authorities so the criminals can face justice? The bakers broke the law and must face the consequences for that.

Why are you relating this situation, to someone being robbed on the street? You're just trivialising it by going down that avenue now, and it's starting to look like you just like moaning about people who have religious beliefs.

And it never has been and never well for precisely these reasons!

Next time you are going through airport security shout out that you have a bomb in your bag and unless you get 10million pound you will blow everyone up. See how far your freedom of speech gets you!

I feel like you're starting to misunderstand me on purpose now, as this isn't a reply to anything I said.

The bakers aren't being discriminated against, they can have their beliefs and no one has told them they have to personally accept homosexuals. The actually business has been forced to provide equal service to all customers. The bakers can believe in what ever homophobic sky pixy they can imagine, it is their freedom to do that, what they can't do it operate their business in such a way that those beliefs discriminate.

People are free to discriminate, companies are not.

You've just undermined yourself now with the "Sky Pixie" BS. You know full well that religious people don't believe in a pixie that lives in the sky, you do it to be derogatory.

Again, I also think you're misunderstanding me on purpose.

However, the point you're seemingly missing is that why would anyone want a company to do work for them, that the company didn't actually want to do?

I know I wouldn't, and I can't see why anyone else would really.

You have an almost clever way of never actually answering anything presented to you.

I believe that this were to be true.

Gay couple request gay cake = baker denies.
Hetero couple request gay cake = baker denies.

Gay couple requests non-gay cake = baker accepts.
Hetero couple requests non-gay cake = baker accepts.

I would find it hard to believe that bakery has never served a gay person.

So all I am saying is that I don't feel this was an attack on the couple as such. Just the message.

Much in the same way if I could understand bakers if they refused to make a cake with pro-war, or pro-abortion, or pro-capital punishment if it were fundamentally against their beliefs.

I would agree on much of that, of course.

But denial of service for a gay cake, when swapping the gay bits out for straight equivalents would have been allowed, is discriminatory.

Your other examples are opinion based issues, not lifestyle ones. You don't persecute any particular group for refusing service of them, hence they aren't discriminatory.

Is it discriminatory to allow mixed sex couples to stay in your hotel but not same sex ones?
Is it discriminatory to allow straight couples to get family discounts at tourist attractions but not homosexual ones?

Because those gay people could just go and hetero-up and enjoy the same privileges as straights, couldn't they, so no discrimination here :rolleyes:

The bakers aren't in charge of all this though, are they? It's not as if they have the power to allow or disallow gay marriage.

The point that's being made, is that they apparently didn't refuse them service, they refused to provide the specific request. Which is where the issue lies. They shouldn't be forced, legally, to provide something with a slogan on that they disagree with.

They are however forced, by law at least, to not discriminate WHO they provide their services to. Now based on what's been said, they wouldn't provide that cake for anyone who asked them, which means they aren't refusing service to specific people, but people who request a specific thing.

There's quite a distinctive difference there. I can understand why it's being construed as discrimination, but realistically it doesn't actually seem like it is, IF what they say is true.

For all we know, they might just not like them because they're gay, and that was just an excuse.

The question is less about if it is discriminatory, and more about if this is an issue that the law should become involved with. Most would agree that not every case of discrimination should go to law. The problem is that the deplorably intolerant morality which outlawed homosexuality is being replaced by another morality which is just as intolerant, just as hate filled and just as bigoted.

Last edited:
The question is less about if it is discriminatory, and more about if this is an issue that the law should become involved with. Most would agree that not every case of discrimination should go to law. The problem is that the intolerant morality which outlawed homosexuality is being replaced by another morality which is just as intolerant, just as hate filled and just as bigoted.

Are Christians being castrated and/or killed by LGBTI people?

The bakers aren't in charge of all this though, are they? It's not as if they have the power to allow or disallow gay marriage.

The point that's being made, is that they apparently didn't refuse them service, they refused to provide the specific request. Which is where the issue lies. They shouldn't be forced, legally, to provide something with a slogan on that they disagree with.

They are however forced, by law at least, to not discriminate WHO they provide their services to. Now based on what's been said, they wouldn't provide that cake for anyone who asked them, which means they aren't refusing service to specific people, but people who request a specific thing.

There's quite a distinctive difference there. I can understand why it's being construed as discrimination, but realistically it doesn't actually seem like it is, IF what they say is true.

For all we know, they might just not like them because they're gay, and that was just an excuse.

The mistake you're making is to fail to realise that refusing to service the gay equivalent of what you would happily do for straights is outright discrimination.

Request a straight wedding cake: OK
Request a Gay wedding cake: No

There's no reason that a baker should not be able to fulfil that gay cake order for practical reasons, and it's unfair to expect a section of society to have to put up with such denials of service.

According to their long established religious beliefs marriage is a divine ceremony performed between a man and a woman. By forcing them to recognise gay marriage you're discriminating against their beliefs.

Why should they be discriminated against?

Who's forcing who to recognise it?

They're baking a ****ing cake, not consecrating a marriage.

And what discrimination are they facing anyway? Having their freedom to refuse service to people they wish to discriminate against isn't a hit on their rights

They don't accept or recognise gay marriage....that's not discrimination?

No, because they're not a marriage authority, or in charge of who can get married. This also highlights something that I find interesting, that some people are so intolerant of intolerance, they end up becoming just like the people they purport to hate.

People get called "transphobic" (that sensationalise suffix again!) for refusing to accept that a man can become a woman via surgery, or vice versa.

But in reality, it isn't discriminatory to refuse to accept it by itself. It becomes discrimination when you attempt to oppress their freedoms because of their transgenderism.

You can refuse to accept that a man can become a woman, whilst also being in support of their right to do so, and their right not to be discriminated against because of who they are. They don't have to be at odds with each other.

Again, I'm not in support of people who are anti-gay, I'm just pointing out that there doesn't always have to be a hatred component to it.

So do we just accept that, or do we strive to make the world more "ideal"?

Both. We accept it, and strive to make the world a better place. However, as is the nature of humans, there will always be something that people will passionate disagree about.

What about if i walked in a bakery and the shop owner happened to be gay, but i didn't know this and I wanted a cake for a anti-homosexual marriage conference and he refused, would the same people defend the customer in that instance?

Apparently it is not the same because the customer is not a social justice warrior fighting for freedom.

What about if i walked in a bakery and the shop owner happened to be gay, but i didn't know this and I wanted a cake for a anti-homosexual marriage conference and he refused, would the same people defend the customer in that instance?

Apparently it is not the same because the customer is not a social justice warrior fighting for freedom.

It's not the same because your cake wishes to express a desire to restrict the freedom and choices of others. The gay cake didn't do that - it was wishing for equality of marriage.

So do we just accept that, or do we strive to make the world more "ideal"?

Exactly, it's like seeing a couple of kids fighting we don't simply shrug our shoulders and go ''ohh well life's tough, get on with it''! :rolleyes:
We try to reason with them and educate them and if that doesn't work it's reasonable to apply an appropriate punishment.

If you decide to operate a public business/service then you are bound by society's rules, deciding who you do and don't provide this service too based on your own ignorant prejudice and bigotry is NOT OK in a civilized society!
If you wan't to do that go live somewhere less civilized that allows it!

Back
Top Bottom