Ballistix Sport LT Overclocking

Associate
@alewid Because tRCD(RD) doesn't scale with voltage on Micron E-die, the 3000C15 (16 tRCDRD) is technically a slightly better bin than the 3200C16 (18 tRCDRD). Either way the binning differences are minor so buy whichever is cheapest.
I have the 3000C15 and it clocks to 3733Mhz without any issue.

Associate
been playing around, are micro stutter buzzes a sign memory is unstable, im not getting any errors in memtest but getting the odd buzz here and there in games and on audio players, usually at begining of a game, like launching into first game of apex the audio is crap and will get a micro stutter and stretched out sound. Loosened some timings and upped my CLDO_VDDG to 1.0v nothing yet but its very intermittent so have to wait and see.

Hoping it is memory overclock and not the board

Soldato
been playing around, are micro stutter buzzes a sign memory is unstable, im not getting any errors in memtest but getting the odd buzz here and there in games and on audio players, usually at begining of a game, like launching into first game of apex the audio is crap and will get a micro stutter and stretched out sound. Loosened some timings and upped my CLDO_VDDG to 1.0v nothing yet but its very intermittent so have to wait and see.

Hoping it is memory overclock and not the board

That is more too too high IF from what I read, what IF are you at?

Associate
That is more too too high IF from what I read, what IF are you at?

Only 1800 IF, I don't think its my ram now, I reduced to stock settings and used latencyMon and was getting big DPC latency, found article about windows 10 big update this year that gimped some setups causing pops and cracks when you have high DPC. Turned off dynamic tick, overlclocked my ram more than ive done so far and thrown everything at it, multiple audio, video and games all at same time and so far no pops and latency much lower than before. Hopefully worked, so far so good.

Soldato
I don't think its my ram now, I reduced to stock settings and used latencyMon and was getting big DPC latency, found article about windows 10 big update this year that gimped some setups causing pops and cracks when you have high DPC. Turned off dynamic tick, overlclocked my ram more than ive done so far and thrown everything at it, multiple audio, video and games all at same time and so far no pops and latency much lower than before. Hopefully worked, so far so good.
Nice, good job!

Associate
I needed 1.125v for SoC, 1.075v VDDG and 1v VDDP to get 1866Mhz IF stable, a little on the high side but should be fine still for 24/7. Some chips just can't do 1800~1866Mhz without bumping voltages it seems.

Soldato
After some tinkering got some optimized timings for 3733Mhz C16 for E-die that should work on most E-die kits I feel:
tCL 16, tRCD(RD) 20, tRCD(WR) 20, tRP 16, tRAS 38, tRC 58
tRRDS 4, tRRDL, 6, tFAW 20, tWTRS 4, tWTRL 12, tWR 16, tRDRD SCL 4, tWRWR SCL 4, tRFC 560
tCWL 16, tRTP 12, tRDWR 8, tWRRD 2, tWRWR SC 1, tWRWR SD 6, tWRWR DD 6, tRDRD SC 1, tRDRD SD 4, tRDRD DD 4, tCKE 1 (or leave tCKE auto)
{tPage Auto, tRFC2 Auto, tRFC4 Auto}
ProcODT 40 Ohm, CMD2T 1T, GearDownMode Enabled, PowerDownMode Disabled
RTT, CAD Bus settings all on Auto
Voltages: 1.45v vDIMM (VTT should be half vDIMM, but on auto it's set to half anyway), 1.1v vSOC, 1.05v cLDO_VDDG, 1v cLDO_VDDP
Some of the voltages maybe be a bit generous, but if the above is stable with some extensive testing, then you can always try lower the voltages gradually (they're all still within safe ranges for everything though). Can also try tightening tFAW to 16 and tWR to 14 or 12.

They should give pretty good speeds for read/write/copy in AIDA, with latency of about ~68ns for 2x SR DIMMs or 70~71ns for 4x SR DIMMs.

ONE error when I left this running overnight! How frustrating.. the test showed 1800% coverage as well.. I did have tWR set to 12 though so I'll give 14 a go and leave running overnight again this evening.

Associate
I am going to try again! DRAMcalculator says :

4rKA2VG.png

I want to overclock in Bios not Ryzen Master. If I set all voltages on max ( 1.4V / 1.05V / 0.95V / 1.1V in picture) before I reboot, would this be a problem?

Associate
I am going to try again! DRAMcalculator says :

4rKA2VG.png

I want to overclock in Bios not Ryzen Master. If I set all voltages on max ( 1.4V / 1.05V / 0.95V / 1.1V in picture) before I reboot, would this be a problem?

You want to set that profile to 3600mhz if you want timings and settings for that speed. I'm asuming thats what you want to do?

GM2

GM2

Associate
Can currently get Crucial Ballistix Sport LT BLS8G4D32AESBK 3200 MHz, DDR4, DRAM, Desktop Gaming Memory, 8 GB, CL16 (Grey) Single Rank for £32.99 delivered = £66 for 16 GB. Almost seems too cheap! Is it?! Am I missing something? Is this OK for Mortar MAX & Ryzen 3600? Thx :)

Associate
This helped me a lot to iron out the odd error.

Handy Tips and Tricks
  • Do not use voltages that are too high for SOC and DRAM. The calculator will tell you which range of values you should try for a stable result. Generally, the best SOC values fall between 0.97–1.025 V.
  • Jitter occurs when riding or falling edges occur at times that differ from the ideal time. Some edges occur early, some occur late. In a digital circuit, all signals are transmitted in reference to clock signals. The deviation of the digital signal as a result of reflections, intersymbol interference, crosstalk, PVT (process-voltage-temperature) variations, and other factors amounts to jitter. Some jitter is simply random.
  • Always use extra cooling for RAM. Lower voltages also mean less heat. By reducing the heat, you reduce the thermal radiation and decay, which makes your system more stable.
  • A change to procODT or RTT is required when the system does not POST, has a huge number of errors, or a BSOD occurs.
  • Single and rare errors can be fixed by manually changing the following timings: (1) tFAW (tRRDS *4 <= best value <= tRRDS *6), (2) increasing tRRDS by 1 or 2, or (3) changing tRTP (from 1/2 * tWR to 12).
  • Single and rare errors can be fixed by changing tRDWR (from 6 to 9) and tWRRD (from 1 to 4). Note that timings must be configured in pairs. Example: tRDWR 6 and tWRRD 2, tRDWR 6 and tWRRD 3, tRDWR 6 and tWRRD 4, tRDWR 7 and tWRRD 1, and so on.
  • Single and rare errors can be fixed by changing tRFC. The calculator suggests several options for tRFC. Also, do not forget that tRC is a multiple of tRFC. For example, tRC = 44 -> tRFC 6 (or 8) * 44; tRFC 2/4 does not need to be configured for Ryzen.
  • Enabling Geardown can improve system stability.
  • VDDP can improve the stability of the system. The recommended range is 855 mV to 950 mV. Try increasing it in steps of 10–15 mV.
  • Disabling spread-spectrum can improve the stability of the system.
  • The source of errors can also be Windows, which is not necessarily a problem with overclocking.
  • Increasing tRCDRD and tRP by 1 can improve stability and reduce memory voltage requirements.
  • RTT_NOM disabled will sometimes have better stability.
  • Increased resistance for RTT_PARK or procODT can improve stability.
  • Do not forget to follow the rule tRC = tRAS + tRP.
  • CLDO_VDDP. Best values: default (850 mV), 950 mV, 945 mV, 940 mV, 915 mV, 905 mV, 895 mV, 865 mV, and 840 mV.
  • Even values for tWRWR SCL and tRDRD SCL can improve system stability. For example 4-4 or 6-6.
  • Excessive overclocking of the processor can negatively affect the stability of the RAM.
  • CAD_BUS 24 30 24 24 can be useful for configurations with two modules, and 24-20-24-24 for configurations that consist of four modules.
  • Look out for motherboard BIOS updates that include updates to AGESA as newer versions improve memory-tuning capabilities.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-memory-tweaking-overclocking-guide/8.html

Last edited:
Associate
Can currently get Crucial Ballistix Sport LT BLS8G4D32AESBK 3200 MHz, DDR4, DRAM, Desktop Gaming Memory, 8 GB, CL16 (Grey) Single Rank for £32.99 delivered = £66 for 16 GB. Almost seems too cheap! Is it?! Am I missing something? Is this OK for Mortar MAX & Ryzen 3600? Thx :)

Its the best buy at the moment, getting 3600mhz is very easy. I paid £77

Associate
Wondering what you'd said here now?!

OK, great. I was a bit worried I'd bought something which looked right, but for some reason wasn't!!

Interestingly, the River I've just bought it from, it was much cheaper to buy single 8GB strips, rather than a pack of 2.

Ah don't worry, I posted some settings but they were no good. Honestly its ridiculous for the money, E die 2nd only to B die for getting overclocks it seems.

Associate
I got an error too after a long run and it was definitely tRFC being too tight. I initially calculated it for 300ns, which seems to be on the edge of what E-die can do (300~350ns), so upping it to 580 (~310ns) should be safer.
After upping tRFC to 580 I got no more errors, even after an extra extra long 16 hour/35000% coverage memtest. For tWR I don't think you can do under 14 at 3733Mhz, check with 16 first because lowering it to 14 didn't really do much for me.
BqndfpP.png V7VbdaA.png
Getting ~69.5ns now which I'm pretty happy with.

Back
Top Bottom