Bathroom ceiling caved in

Soldato
Noticed a crack in my bathroom ceiling before I went to work, when I got back this morning it had got bigger. Then 5 minutes later it all fell in.

The bathroom is a single story extension built probably in the 60s, it's got a flat felt roof and it looks like it has been leaking in for a while. Strange thing is all the wood underneath the plasterboard is wet with drops of water all over, not just centred in one place.

The felt isn't really all that old, probably about 18-20 years old.

1479783648.jpg

1479783064.jpg

1479791634.jpg

Soldato
OP
Yes the room has problems and it's been a struggle to keep on top of the mould, constant painting etc.

Need new felt roof and whole room replastered at same time as ceiling fixed.

Probably get it done myself, I'm sure if the insurance send an inspector round they'll probably laugh and say it's maintenance issue and not pay out.

All cleaned up now though, just spent last couple of hours doing so.

Soldato
Painting wasnt ever gonna fix the mould lol, That looks like its been leaking for ages

As said above that whole room needs gutting its a health hazard.

Man of Honour
If you've still been getting that damp even with the window open, fan on and you've not been constantly running boiling hot water then I'd say the felt has been ****ed for a very long time which would explain why all the beams are sodden rather than it being concentrated in one place.

Soldato
And now your planning on dealing with it yourself? Ehh so why didnt you deal with at at the first sign of mold if your capable of doing it.
Im really confused.

Soldato
Felt roof, depending on the typical weather conditions of where you live, will need replacing every 20 years. It's something you should have tackled last year really.

Back
Top Bottom