Bathroom ceiling caved in

Soldato
Noticed a crack in my bathroom ceiling before I went to work, when I got back this morning it had got bigger. Then 5 minutes later it all fell in.

The bathroom is a single story extension built probably in the 60s, it's got a flat felt roof and it looks like it has been leaking in for a while. Strange thing is all the wood underneath the plasterboard is wet with drops of water all over, not just centred in one place.

The felt isn't really all that old, probably about 18-20 years old.

1479783648.jpg

1479783064.jpg

1479791634.jpg

Soldato
OP
Yes the room has problems and it's been a struggle to keep on top of the mould, constant painting etc.

Need new felt roof and whole room replastered at same time as ceiling fixed.

Probably get it done myself, I'm sure if the insurance send an inspector round they'll probably laugh and say it's maintenance issue and not pay out.

All cleaned up now though, just spent last couple of hours doing so.

Soldato
OP
Have you had the textured coating tested for asbestos? Being damp and a relatively low--risk material it shouldn't be too much of an issue but the extension age is right for it potentially containing ACMs.

There seems to be two ceiling up. I'd say the visible ceiling is safe as the plasterboard looks modern ish but the ceiling underneath is probably original which also has textured finish on it.

Soldato
OP
Got someone coming round to look at it and hopefully get whole roof refelted asap.

That's if the guy turns up. Said he would be here in 20 minutes an hour ago. First guy I phoned couldn't come until later in the week.

I hate tradesmen.

Together with your drains and this roof I hope you saved some of that money.

Yeah I'd expect that needs reroofed completely, all the timbers look knackered.
As above, hope there's a few k left of that 25!

Still waiting for that 25 to come through!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It was inherited and was already in need of repairs when I got it. I haven't been sitting on my backside though, I have done a lot like change solid fuel CH for gas combi, all new pvc windows, re-plastered kitchen and bedrooms & fixed chimney stack to name a few.

Yes it would probably come up on a survey, but whoever would buy the property would more than likely be looking into major renovations anyway.

Once roof is re-felted I'll get the whole bathroom re-plastered as same time as the ceiling is fixed. Job's a good'un. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Nah the white mouldy ceiling and walls you see is some ready made textured finish stuff, probably from Focus DIY, slapped on 10-15 years ago when the bathroom suite and tiles were renewed so highly doubt that has asbestos in it.

There does appear to be 2 ceilings though, the darker creamy coloured one underneath looks like it has an artex pattern and has probably been up since it was built.

Soldato
OP
The sort of dump that would have Syrian refugees returning to Aleppo rather than live in that squalor.

Clap clap :o

I'm sure there are folk living in worse conditions, like kids having to sleep in black mould ridden bedrooms due to slum landlords. Least my mould is just contained in the potty room.

Soldato
OP
The timbers, on the inside anyway, are already drying out nicely and look noticeably lighter than what they did on Monday when the ceiling fell off.

The second cheaper roofer isn't going to board it though according to his written quote.

So not sure what is the best, pay £420 more for overboard, or less for just felt and underlay.

Soldato
OP
They are planks like floorboards not a big sheet of chipboard like on new builds so quite solid. But yeah can't see the point of overboarding it.

Also how easy would it come up on a survey, you wouldn't see it once ceiling is repaired. My sister and her BF had a survey done on a property before buying it and still found things later on that weren't picked up.

Back
Top Bottom