Bathroom ceiling caved in

Soldato
OP
It was inherited and was already in need of repairs when I got it. I haven't been sitting on my backside though, I have done a lot like change solid fuel CH for gas combi, all new pvc windows, re-plastered kitchen and bedrooms & fixed chimney stack to name a few.

Yes it would probably come up on a survey, but whoever would buy the property would more than likely be looking into major renovations anyway.

Once roof is re-felted I'll get the whole bathroom re-plastered as same time as the ceiling is fixed. Job's a good'un. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
If this is Artex, and done before 2000, then it will ahve asbestos in. Best get a tradesman in asap, and make sure they know about the asbestos. Seal off the area too. That room would have been full of asbestos fibres when the ceiling came down; probably still is. :o :(

Soldato
If this is Artex, and done before 2000, then it will ahve asbestos in. Best get a tradesman in asap, and make sure they know about the asbestos. Seal off the area too. That room would have been full of asbestos fibres when the ceiling came down; probably still is. :o :(

Just to add, whilst this is true, asbestos in artex is not as dangerous as other forms because a) it's white asbestos (chrysotile) which is the least harmful since the fibres are coil-shaped rather than straight, and b) it's held in place by the artex substrate.

The fact that the ceiling was damp will also have stopped many of the fibres becoming airborne.

I'm not saying ignore the asbestos, the above advice is sound, but it could be worse!

Soldato
OP
Nah the white mouldy ceiling and walls you see is some ready made textured finish stuff, probably from Focus DIY, slapped on 10-15 years ago when the bathroom suite and tiles were renewed so highly doubt that has asbestos in it.

There does appear to be 2 ceilings though, the darker creamy coloured one underneath looks like it has an artex pattern and has probably been up since it was built.

Soldato
OP
The sort of dump that would have Syrian refugees returning to Aleppo rather than live in that squalor.

Clap clap :o

I'm sure there are folk living in worse conditions, like kids having to sleep in black mould ridden bedrooms due to slum landlords. Least my mould is just contained in the potty room.

Soldato

Potentially. Just because it's pre-2000 doesn't mean it's certainly an ACM.

Soldato
Roofer been and had a look, he says he'll rip old felt off and overboard it then put new felt on. Says wood inside will dry out.

The timbers will take months to dry out I wouldn't be happy with the potential mouldy nightmare that could leave behind when over boarding.

Soldato
OP
The timbers, on the inside anyway, are already drying out nicely and look noticeably lighter than what they did on Monday when the ceiling fell off.

The second cheaper roofer isn't going to board it though according to his written quote.

So not sure what is the best, pay £420 more for overboard, or less for just felt and underlay.

Back
Top Bottom