Bathroom ceiling caved in

Soldato
Some are PVC, like the ones we are using

I would imaging the majority of boards aimed for wet room usage would be PVC based, its only a surfaced board after all.

They are a square channel, around 8mm square on our boards, you can get boards 5mm 8mm 10mm (thickness) commonly and i assume the channels will somehow match

Yeah I've used the pvc ones, mainly on ceilings and they are decent.... when used correctly. They are so easy to cut with a sharp knife as well so makes this bodge even worse.

Soldato
How much are you in for Lee? It was a dear job to start with so I'd want nothing but perfection. So many trades are just utter dirt bag humans.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
How much are you in for Lee? It was a dear job to start with so I'd want nothing but perfection. So many trades are just utter dirt bag humans.
This is why i end up just doing everything myself. Its almost less hassle than paying people, with the faff often involved in getting quotes, messing around getting someone finally booked in, and then scrutinising their work. I cant get it as good as a good tradesman would, but at least the price goes with that :p

This is why i end up just doing everything myself. Its almost less hassle than paying people, with the faff often involved in getting quotes, messing around getting someone finally booked in, and then scrutinising their work. I cant get it as good as a good tradesman would, but at least the price goes with that :p

This is exactly my approach

To be honest I find that as long as your willing to put the time in then your not going to do worse and in plenty of cases a far better job than just a general trade anyway.

Sure if you were hand crafting some expensive oak into intricate shapes your probably better of with a master craftsman, but then again finding one isn't easy.

Soldato
OP
This is the clown who has took me for £2.5K and walked off the job leaving me with no working shower for the weekend.... Obviously doesn't care about his business reputation.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ghter-speech-turns-Hollywood-blockbuster.html

Just been on the phone with him, claims to have been around for a long time, maybe so, but his current incarnation has only been trading since 2019. He has a load of previous directorships of failed/dissolved companies though all relating to cladding products.

Soldato
This is the clown who has took me for £2.5K and walked off the job leaving me with no working shower for the weekend.... Obviously doesn't care about his business reputation.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ghter-speech-turns-Hollywood-blockbuster.html

Just been on the phone with him, claims to have been around for a long time, maybe so, but his current incarnation has only been trading since 2019. He has a load of previous directorships of failed/dissolved companies though all relating to cladding products.
£2.5k isn't bad fella. Distance yourself and call it quits. Is it liveable?

Soldato
OP
£2.5k isn't bad fella. Distance yourself and call it quits. Is it liveable?

No actual shower just the hot&cold tap bit where you turn it off and on, no shower screen, ceiling bare plasterboard as that hasn't been cladded yet, wash basin not plumbed in. No sealant work done anywhere. Only thing that is plumbed in is the toilet and towel rad.

They were also doing the little passageway between bathroom and kitchen too, that still needs ceiling cladding, new light fitted and the silver trims to be fitted on the edges of the panels and sealant.

I don't think they would have walked off and held me to ransom if they had already finished the shower and wash basin plumbing however!

Soldato
No actual shower just the hot&cold tap bit where you turn it off and on, no shower screen, ceiling bare plasterboard as that hasn't been cladded yet, wash basin not plumbed in. No sealant work done anywhere. Only thing that is plumbed in is the toilet and towel rad.

They were also doing the little passageway between bathroom and kitchen too, that still needs ceiling cladding, new light fitted and the silver trims to be fitted on the edges of the panels and sealant.

I don't think they would have walked off and held me to ransom if they had already finished the shower and wash basin plumbing however!
Mate what a *******. Such a pain. Try not to let the stress consume you!

Soldato

Presumably they are the same people that also re-felted the roof too?

Take plenty of pictures in case you need to take them to the small claims court.

Soldato
I'd be cautious about your property. Hear one too many stories on social media et al where a disgruntled tradesman who hasn't been paid comes back and smashes up what work they have done.

The saving grace in most of those stories is that the traders have done a reasonable job. This guy coming back to smash up the bathroom might actually do you a favour, if you've gotta take off a load of the tiles to rectify the problems then another tradesman will charge you for that work.

It doesn't sound like they've done 2.5k of work though, do you have most of the materials still?

Associate
Really feel for you OP. Getting trades in is so stressful. I’d be climbing the walls tonight with this as I’m a proper worrier, so I really do feel sorry for you. I would be changing the lock barrel if he won’t return the key, and also informing the police.

Soldato
Echoing what @Semple has said really, @LeeUK

I would make it a priority to get your locks changed even if you get your key back. As mentioned above, they could take a cut of the key.

Changing the lock/s is easy enough to do yourself if you have PVC doors - normally just a single screw to release the barrel, allowing you to simply just slot a new one in and lock it back in place with the same screw.

Soldato
OP
@LeeUK if it makes you feel any better, we were in a similar situation with numerous cowboy bathroom fitters. We had three quote for the job, and each one never filled me with much confidence. The first one literally said he would use pink gripfill on everything.

anyway, the people will did finally end up going with put a massive hole in the floor, and stuck the tiles onto normal plasterboard (not the water resistant type, nor any tanking system). When we walked in on the final day, they were literally black. They'd got black grout on everything! The walls, ceiling, woodwork, it was all over the hallway, the kitchen....even the damn tiles were wonky. I've no idea what they were thinking when they plumbed the toilet in, but they had a half meter copper pipe going about 20cm so rather than cut to size, they decided to bend it a few times so it would fit.

I never paid in the end. Said it was going to cost more to get someone else in to put thing right and they should think themselves lucky.

That was a good 2-3 years ago, it's still in the same state. We need to save up and rip the lot out and start again....it's the stress of it all though more than anything. The thought of paying thousands and it still not be right.

After all this saga I'm going to be done with trades for any big jobs like this and have a crack at anything myself. As already been said on here I'll probably never be as good but least I will know any bodges or corners I cut are my own and no one else's that I've paid good money for.

Soldato
After all this saga I'm going to be done with trades for any big jobs like this and have a crack at anything myself. As already been said on here I'll probably never be as good but least I will know any bodges or corners I cut are my own and no one else's that I've paid good money for.

I honestly reckon with a bit of time I could have done a better job

Soldato

Did they leave you with the shower screen and any spare wall panels? Those are quite straight forward to do just annoying to have to spend the time doing it. I'd just get a trade in to plaster the ceiling. If you have an Oscillating Multi-Tool or a mate you can borrow one from then a small slice off the bottom of the door frame either side on the shower room side will make it easier to replace the broken floor tile next to the threshold. Taps on the sink are easy enough with some tap tails and a couple of adjustable wrenches to nip them tight. Some plumbers mate around the sink hole before dropping the pop up waste in there and doing that up hand tight, then just connect up the trap and the waste pipe. A bit of straightening up of the rad fittings and maybe the loo seat and I think your done.

EDIT: and a bit of bathroom white silicone around the back edge of the basin and around the base of the toilet pan.

Soldato
OP
Echoing what @Semple has said really, @LeeUK

I would make it a priority to get your locks changed even if you get your key back. As mentioned above, they could take a cut of the key.

Changing the lock/s is easy enough to do yourself if you have PVC doors - normally just a single screw to release the barrel, allowing you to simply just slot a new one in and lock it back in place with the same screw.

Yep I nearly went to Screwfix last night to buy a new euro cylinder but the screw holding it in is all chewed to bits. I've had to sleep all night with a key in the door to stop a key going in from outside. Usually I don't leave key in door in case someone fishes something through letterbox to get it.

They say there was no malice intended in taking the key, just that the fitter was in a rush to get away when he was told to walk off the job and didn't leave it. If you believe that.

Lock is going to get changed now regardless whether I get the key back or not.

Back
Top Bottom