Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Man of Honour
I'm not a comic book reader in the slightest and the idea of superman and batman together just sounds dumb. It would be like if Star Wars crossed with Star Trek.

It's just wrong.

Yes, I know it frequently occurs in the source material :p

Soldato
I'm not a comic book reader in the slightest and the idea of superman and batman together just sounds dumb. It would be like if Star Wars crossed with Star Trek.

It's just wrong.

It's nothing like a Trek/Wars cross over :/

I am interested by the idea and as one of the few people who didn't rate the Nolan Batman movies I think it has potential to set up JL esp with a Flash movie in 2016. I am just worried as a MoS sequel the inclusion of batman could overshadow Supes in his own movie.

I don't think it'll be a vs per say, it might start that way while they figure each other out mind, but I am wondering if Lex might be included with some hints to brainiac to setup the JL enemy...

Meh it's so early in the film life cycle it's all theory ATM.

Soldato
No, not this again! Mmm...must....stop.....ahhhhhhhhhhh.

I like smart superhero movies (in that there are almost none...:( ), we must suspend disbelief about super powers but the rest of the film has some sort of logic, realism.

The problem about Batman vs Superman is they always seem to have gaping flaws about how much punishment batman can take as a human, such as falling multiple stories or getting punched from a standstill to wall breaking speeds.
I can't get past the fact that any of these would absolutely destroy his organs, I don't care what you're wearing, your insides do not like sudden stops from high speeds.

Same for reaction times, supes can move so fast you cannot see him, faster than you can hear him coming, batman is good but not that good, he is just a man.

So what are we left with? Kryptonite/other technology, but conveniently avoid that again, supes can attack from range with heat vision, or throwing things. But we must understand that if anything, super/batman have a history and what it comes down to is clark will not kill bruce and we know what'll take for superman to kill. So the fight has to be toned down.

There are far too many deus ex machina plots in superhero movies, purely to make it work.

Edit: I also think that the last batman trilogy is a very, very hard act to follow.
They got it right because it didn't pander to children, it was mature, gritty and it works, but a new film with both? Eugh...we'll see.

Not the point, It won't be a straight up fight. Batman is far more intelligent then Superman and will use it. Check the comics out, some of those stories are cracking anyway. Batman easily discovers Clark is Superman and uses it to his advantage through manipulation and messing with his head

It's not going to be a Vs movie anyhow, how are two good guys going to fight anyway? Most likely they begrudgingly team up and it's be like cop buddy movie where the two leads don't like each other very much. Clark thinks Bruce is an ******* but has his heart in the right place (but doesn't like his methods) and Bruce thinks Clark is a Goody-two shoes and just can't wrap his head around why his doesn't use his powers to just get rid of the bad guys once and for all. (I'm sure if Batman had superman's powers for 24hrs he'd kill of half his enemies before sundown!)

Last edited:
Soldato
This could be interesting.

I feel like there will be some fighting between Batman/Superman and Batman will win, then there will be a bigger threat they team up to beat. I feel like this could be almost a prequel/setup for Justice League as well.

That said, I'm not sure how much I trust Snyder on this. Batman is dark and gruesome, Superman is more bright. The filming could be interesting, but it could be awful.

kd

Soldato
OP
Having just re-watched both "World's Finest" and "The Dark Knight Returns part 2". I have a feeling that the Man Of Steel sequel will borrow from both of those stories and also, hopefully, Public Enemies.

While I don't think they will avoid conflict between the two characters. Having them pitted against each other should last no more than about 5mins tops! Don't let the movie focus too much on their differences. The world is bigger than them. They will still have Superman's character in development to some extent.

The way I see it. It's Superman's movie. Batman is just guest appearing. If he gets around 20mins screen time max, then I am happy with that. An actual full on team up should not happen until the Justice League movie itself!

All I ask is that Warners, Zack, Goyer and Co to not screw this up! This is their one chance to prove to people that they really mean business!! It's their move now.

XPE

XPE

Soldato

I always remember World's Finest, great seeing both characters meet and interact with each other, seeing Batman throw superman across the room with out a care always makes me smile :D

I hope they don't do a super villain team up, it might come across as a bit cheesy, maybe brainiac would be a good villain for both to take on.

Soldato
they should have gone with this....

Batman_Judge_Dredd_Judgement_on_Gotham_cover_zps21d794d7.jpg

Caporegime
?

Clearly a lot of people who haven't read the comics.

And that's who you are making the films for. The hundreds of people I know that loved the last Batman films have never read more than 1 comic in their life. If you made these films just for comic book fans these films wouldn't even be getting made.

And that's who you are making the films for. The hundreds of people I know that loved the last Batman films have never read more than 1 comic in their life. If you made these films just for comic book fans these films wouldn't even be getting made.

This. These films are made for the general cinema going public, not those who read the comic books.

It will be interesting to see how they deal with the characters. There is plenty of scope for the 2 characters to work well off each other, been so different. A good script is a must.

Soldato
Having just re-watched both "World's Finest" and "The Dark Knight Returns part 2". I have a feeling that the Man Of Steel sequel will borrow from both of those stories and also, hopefully, Public Enemies.

Was reading some rumors and a strong frontrunner is that it will borrow heavily from the Lex Luthor: Man of Steel comic book run.

It's not going to be a vs. movie.

Regarding MoS itself, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and am glad they didn't start off with the 'goody goody' supes portayed, in the main, in the comics. However to appease a lot of the fans of that version maybe they can have him go down that route in this movie, events of the last one have made him see himself as the saviour of mankind, the shinning light so to speak and he has to be the 'best of us' (vomit).

Regarding villians, I think this one will be a Lex Luthor movie maybe some Doomsday, with Brainiac for no 3, I would say Darksied for JL movie, but that is far to close to the next Avengers movie (undestandably as Thanos is a straight up rip off of Darksied), maybe a well written Bizarro styline could be a goer.

Associate
i honestly cant see how this could work.

Correct, Superman (Man of Steel) is a god compared to Batman (Dark Knight and earlier films).

There will be more arguments about balancing these superheros than even the longest threads about balancing the guns Battlefield 3!

Soldato

It's just wrong.

How is it dumb, they exist in the same universe and 90% of the time are together anyway. Its only because the movies created them as single entities, which is not really how it should be given the breadth of modern comic book stories.

Soldato
OP
Correct, Superman (Man of Steel) is a god compared to Batman (Dark Knight and earlier films).

There will be more arguments about balancing these superheros than even the longest threads about balancing the guns Battlefield 3!

Batman. In some ways has been seen as a god as well. There's a reason Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are known as "The Trinity".

What you have to understand is that Superman trusts Batman more than anyone to watch his back. Should Superman ever go rogue, Batman has ways to contain him. And it's because Superman has told him that he should take drastic action if that ever happens.

I highly recommend reading the following to get an idea of how these two really trust each other:

Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Superman/Batman: The Search For Kryptonite

The latter will give you a real insight into how much Clark believes in Bruce and that he will do the right thing to protect Clark should he ever feel the need to.

There are other stories to look at featuring the two. But these are a start.

I hope I have made some sense to this.

Associate
Batman. In some ways has been seen as a god as well. There's a reason Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are known as "The Trinity".

What you have to understand is that Superman trusts Batman more than anyone to watch his back. Should Superman ever go rogue, Batman has ways to contain him. And it's because Superman has told him that he should take drastic action if that ever happens.

I highly recommend reading the following to get an idea of how these two really trust each other:

Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Superman/Batman: The Search For Kryptonite

The latter will give you a real insight into how much Clark believes in Bruce and that he will do the right thing to protect Clark should he ever feel the need to.

There are other stories to look at featuring the two. But these are a start.

I hope I have made some sense to this.

Thanks for the detailed information, I believe you.

However, I really doubt that this subtlety or balance can ever be achieved on the screen, doubly so because of the earlier films in people's minds.

Soldato
OP
No-one batted an eyelid about Black Widow and Hawkeye in Avengers. Or Iron Man fighting Thor.

and that's exactly what people are forgetting! But then they bring in their own excuses as to why the likes of Iron Man and Thor battled it out. Fair enough. The point is, a Norse God and a billionaire genius playboy philanthropist still duked it out with each other. What difference would a super powered alien and a billionaire with hi-tech toys having a little face off make?

Back
Top Bottom