Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Associate
Comics do not equal movies. A lot of things happen in comics that would fail utterly in movies (and I say that as a fan of both mediums) The success of the MCU has shown that you need to consider what works and what doesn't. DC have made this mistake and it's one they need to learn from. They should be looking at how they can adapt their IP's to a film universe (unified if they really have to 'do a Marvel') (see Batman)

Funnily enough, I would go completely the other way, and say that Nolan's Batman proved you can farm directly from the comics and make an incredibly successful film.

Caporegime
...but that's not what they did. Sure Begins had a lot of influence from Year One and the other two took influence from various stories. But they changed characters, equipment, locations to better fit a film.

Note, I'm not saying they should take all their licenses and make them 'dark'. But they've spent many years and a lot of money showing audiences a Batman.....which they're now going to have to wave their hands and say "forget about that guy! This is actually Batman, who hangs out with Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter" It's a big ask (especially as Nolan's films were so popular)

Soldato
OP
...but that's not what they did. Sure Begins had a lot of influence from Year One and the other two took influence from various stories. But they changed characters, equipment, locations to better fit a film.

Note, I'm not saying they should take all their licenses and make them 'dark'. But they've spent many years and a lot of money showing audiences a Batman.....which they're now going to have to wave their hands and say "forget about that guy! This is actually Batman, who hangs out with Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter" It's a big ask (especially as Nolan's films were so popular)

Just because one formula worked for Marvel does not mean it will work for Warners! Both will be approaching their movies differently. But both will still be borrowing from the comics.

Caporegime
I'd say the evidence says it's not working for Warner Brothers! The films so far have ranged from crap to average. I'd love to see some good DC films (personally I'd rather they did some Vertigo stuff though) but I just don't think the source material outside of Batman is as strong.

In fact it might be better if they just did Justice League without Batman. Then they could have a connected universe for the 'super' characters and still make some great gritty Batman films.

Soldato
OP
I'd say the evidence says it's not working for Warner Brothers! The films so far have ranged from crap to average. I'd love to see some good DC films (personally I'd rather they did some Vertigo stuff though) but I just don't think the source material outside of Batman is as strong.

In fact it might be better if they just did Justice League without Batman. Then they could have a connected universe for the 'super' characters and still make some great gritty Batman films.

And there is the underlying problem! You suggesting something like that. You might as well not bother including Superman as well. And Wonder Woman.

Caporegime
Why?

Marvel managed to do the Avengers without 2 of the founders.

There is no reason they couldn't write a good story with the rest of the Justice League, rather than sacrificing a successful format and attempting to reboot a character so quickly.

Soldato
They really do have to get Batman perfect for this, not only in the casting but also in how they move on from Nolan's Batman and not take a step backwards, It's going to be a mammoth task. I believe that this could be the achilles heel of the film, if they don't get it right.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Why?

Marvel managed to do the Avengers without 2 of the founders.

There is no reason they couldn't write a good story with the rest of the Justice League, rather than sacrificing a successful format and attempting to reboot a character so quickly.

And yet Avengers are bringing in Ant-Man. He will probably cameo in the sequel next year before his solo outing later on.

Either way. I am happy about this news. I just want to see where it takes them and hope they don't fluff it up!

Caporegime
Whilst I want to love this idea, I am just full of doubt.

Nolan did such a fantastic job with Batman, just how do you follow up something like that in a way that the viewer will not rebuff the film based on what has been before.

Does anyone else feel that comic book readers are full of their own self importance?

Last edited:
Associate
Whilst I want to love this idea, I am just full of doubt.

Nolan did such a fantastic job with Batman, just how do you follow up something like that in a way that the viewer will not rebuff the film based on what has been before.

Change the costume; make Batman the focus, not Bruce - and have Supes make a joke along the lines of "I thought you were British".

Easy :D

Soldato
David Goyer script = another poor showing like Man of Steel.

This was my first thought...well, actually my first thought was 'Won't Zack Snyder just leave my favourite things alone and retire'

(I'm sure if Batman had superman's powers for 24hrs he'd kill of half his enemies before sundown!)

I'm not sure it is possible to get a character more wrong than that statement!

Last edited:
Soldato
You should perhaps read Superman/Batman Finest Worlds. And see just how close Batman comes to doing just that!

I've read a fair bit of Batman(obviously not as much as you though, so I bow to your knowledge), and I can say with certainty that Batman would not kill half of his enemies if he had the power...and indeed, he didn't( I have read it btw, as part of a trilogy I believe, and it is incredible!)

Last edited:
Associate
Should be nerd heaven this film roll on 2015. Really do wonder who they will pick for Batman. If they're going for an older version the guy who was in the new Dredd film would fit the bill perfectly. :)

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Should be nerd heaven this film roll on 2015. Really do wonder who they will pick for Batman. If they're going for an older version the guy who was in the new Dredd film would fit the bill perfectly. :)

you know who may finally get his wish to be in a superman film, the guy who was lined up to play him a couple of years ago before they pulled the plug.

superman2f-1-web.jpg

:D

Back
Top Bottom