*** Battlefield 2042 (Console) ***

Soldato
I honestly think modern warfare did a decent job of this, you had the battle pass but I only actually paid for it once and would unlock credits allowing you to buy the next month and have some left over to buy the odd gun but you would also unlock everything else that mattered.

Attachments would unlock through the use of the gun, but even if you sucked would unlock fairly regular.

I don't think any of the unlocked weapons provided a massive advantage over the base set, more some suited a play style that you may have.

Having played a bit of BFV, I just don't feel an attachment to a certain weapon and unlocks for that weapon seem to take ages.

The pay for the good guns and everyone has that option puts me straight off within a week as I'm at a disadvantage unless I'm willing to spend money on the game I've already paid more than I'd like for.

As i say, it's a very tricky concept to balance right.

BFV does have some of the decent guns that are only unlocked after you've hit like level 10+ in that class. Then also the gun itself needs to be leveled to 4 to get all unlocks, and some of these can have a huge advantage such as faster rate of fire, quicker bullets, quicker reload, deals more damage, or has better accuracy.

For most day1 players, xp levelling weapons isn't a massive issue. Yes you'll always get a minority that will play it for 24 hours straight on launch day to unlock everything, but normally within a few weeks most of the player base has then unlocked all weapons.

The challenge is for players who join much later on, i didn't start BF5 until it had been out probably 12-18 months. I found the starting weapons absolutely ****, and the only way to make them better, or unlock better weapons is to get points, and it's quite tricky to get points quickly with **** weapons. Basically you end up getting killed a lot to rack up some points, or you just camp out in some corner and just shoot the odd person that walks by. That ends up causing a number of players to give up before they've even given the game a proper chance.

Soldato
Probably my favourite FPS, Camp Gib is an outstanding map, such carnage!
Used to love those rockets where you could dial the range in on them, seem to remember the damage always seemed a bit random on them. If they go modern rather than future, I hope they bring back the grappling hook and crossbow from bf2 special forces.

Associate
A return to a BF3 style of game would be much welcome for me. I think there is still a lot that can be done with modern middle east or African theatres. People are still interested in those conflicts. I also hope they abandon the artistic filters they slapped over BF3 and BF4 though. I have no idea why they defended the blueness so much....

I'd be very interested if the following happened:
  • An enhanced version of the destruction from BFBC2 was included. I personally thought that the "levolution" from BF3/4 was a step back - e.g. the tower collapsing on Caspian was pretty much pointless. Being able to level all the buildings on an entire map is much more satisfying and makes a bigger impact on the game.
  • A proper hardcore mode from release.
  • A day/night cycle and weather effects would be good too. Perhaps not cycling through a full day over a round, but the round could start late afternoon and cycle into night time, or something.
  • Include selectable female versions of each class, not just one class like the sniper in BF1, so if you want to be a woman, you can be and if you don't, you don't have to be.
  • Resist the temptation to include Fortnite style character customisation. Have something in there, like swapping a helmet for a baseball cap and modifiable boots/webbing/holster position/plate carriers etc. but not pink keffiyehs or hello kitty backpacks.
  • More realistic ragdoll effects with a bit of claret would be good, like being splattered with your teammate's blood, but this will never happen.
It'd also be nice if the leadership of the development team can resist trying to be social commentators. They should understand that they are computer nerds who are making video games and that nobody cares what they think. All that is expected from them on this front is to do their job of developing games whilst not being offensive idiots.
  • Get a decent project manager.
  • Don't over-promise, be realistic.
  • Release more gameplay videos alongside the inevitable over-stylised trailers, to provide some balance.
  • Forget the last generation of consoles

Soldato
A return to a BF3 style of game would be much welcome for me. I think there is still a lot that can be done with modern middle east or African theatres. People are still interested in those conflicts. I also hope they abandon the artistic filters they slapped over BF3 and BF4 though. I have no idea why they defended the blueness so much....

I'd be very interested if the following happened:
  • An enhanced version of the destruction from BFBC2 was included. I personally thought that the "levolution" from BF3/4 was a step back - e.g. the tower collapsing on Caspian was pretty much pointless. Being able to level all the buildings on an entire map is much more satisfying and makes a bigger impact on the game.
  • A proper hardcore mode from release.
  • A day/night cycle and weather effects would be good too. Perhaps not cycling through a full day over a round, but the round could start late afternoon and cycle into night time, or something.
  • Include selectable female versions of each class, not just one class like the sniper in BF1, so if you want to be a woman, you can be and if you don't, you don't have to be.
  • Resist the temptation to include Fortnite style character customisation. Have something in there, like swapping a helmet for a baseball cap and modifiable boots/webbing/holster position/plate carriers etc. but not pink keffiyehs or hello kitty backpacks.
  • More realistic ragdoll effects with a bit of claret would be good, like being splattered with your teammate's blood, but this will never happen.
It'd also be nice if the leadership of the development team can resist trying to be social commentators. They should understand that they are computer nerds who are making video games and that nobody cares what they think. All that is expected from them on this front is to do their job of developing games whilst not being offensive idiots.
  • Get a decent project manager.
  • Don't over-promise, be realistic.
  • Release more gameplay videos alongside the inevitable over-stylised trailers, to provide some balance.
  • Forget the last generation of consoles
I do enjoy hard-core, but it seems to just end up being people camping all the time. Gets boring fast.

Caporegime
OP
Couple of leaked images

3RNsnAz.jpg
0RTPL5h.jpg

Tom Henderson has confirmed they’re real, and apparently he already has the trailer! We can’t be far from the reveal now.

Soldato
From some of the rumours going around, today could be the day of a reveal or tease. Here's hoping! Really looking forward to a new BF
If its going to be out this year I'd expect stuff now and onwards nearly 6 months into year! If they plan a late 2021 release few months of hype is standard

Back
Top Bottom