• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Battlefield V performance

Soldato
Not sure why this is suddenly a surprise, we already knew tomb raider and bfv ran at a less than optimal frame rate back in September. :confused:

I think many people just didn't think Nvidia were so arrogant, stupid and short sighted. The idea they would release cards with this amazing new technology, but which would only be playable @ 1080p circa 60FPS... taking a massive frame hit from what you'd get otherwise... when gamers choosing to play at 1080p are often doing so precisely so that they can achieve very high FPS. The price of the cards clearly wasn't aimed at them anyway, instead targeting those with more disposable income, many of which are at 1440p and 4K. It did seem utterly insane and beyond belief that Nvidia would develop and sell a GPU that was useful for, well, basically no-one in respect to its new amazing ray tracing techology, and on top of that, charge a whopping premium for it. But that's EXACTLY what they've gone and done! RTX is DOA. That's it. Done. 1080p gamers want high FPS, and 1440p/4K gamers aren't going to be downgrading/down-resing their monitors.

The 2080Ti remains a great card for 4K gaming of course, albeit a stupidly expensive one, and that price is even harder to swallow now that, if BFV is anything to go by, RTX features will simply not be possible at that resolution if you want the game to be playable.

Caporegime
For those, like me, who are in it for the eye-candy:

The game looks that way without it as well though, you're essentially just getting some reflections and shiny surfaces.

I'd say in its current implementation even gaming at 1080p is a bit iffy given the hitching that has yet to be solved, though that's more a dx12\frostbite issue than a raytracing issue.

Soldato
So i tried DX12 and it was a lot better than before but for non rtx stuff which should we use now dx11 or 12?

DX11, no question. DX12 (in BF V) is for stuff like this:

giphy.gif

Soldato
You have to wonder how many £1100+ GPU owners use a 1080p monitor as their main screen? :O

More accurate reflections just aren't worth a drop in resolution and frame rate.

Still they have DLSS that may make them faster in a few years time, if the developers think it's worth spending money updating old games.

Soldato
You have to wonder how many £1100+ GPU owners use a 1080p monitor as their main screen? :O

More accurate reflections just aren't worth a drop in resolution and frame rate.

Still they have DLSS that may make them faster in a few years time, if the developers think it's worth spending money updating old games.

Imo DLSS is a non-starter. It's basically reduce render scale 20% / change resolution to 1800p. It also works worse at under 4K. What I was excited about was DLSS 2x but it seems like they're avoiding even mentioning it, even in their official docs, so we can safely say we won't see that in a meaningful capacity any time soon (i.e. before 2020-21).

Caporegime

Indeed hence why most are playing BF5 in DX 11 mode...I can’t fathom how anyone with a 2080ti having spent so much money can be happy with it...but it’s up to them!

Soldato
The game looks that way without it as well though, you're essentially just getting some reflections and shiny surfaces.

I'd say in its current implementation even gaming at 1080p is a bit iffy given the hitching that has yet to be solved, though that's more a dx12\frostbite issue than a raytracing issue.

You would think Nvidia would put some sort of quality control on it and say this is not how we want RT to be perceived. Postpone it for a bit and improve the experience.

Caporegime
You would think Nvidia would put some sort of quality control on it and say this is not how we want RT to be perceived. Postpone it for a bit and improve the experience.

Eh? Gimmicks sell...And allows them to overprice their hardware for people to buy it. :p

I wouldn’t be surprised if people return their 2070 and 2080 series cards an buy a 1080ti :p

Caporegime

I think its sort of a "we did it first" thing, at least for gaming. A lot of things in the past had hefty performance chops for what are now standard features, anti aliasing being an obvious one, 32 bit colour also used to give framerate a bit of a kicking. It's likely be better on some games than others, Battlefield imo is not the type of game to showcase these effects considering its fast paced nature.

Caporegime
I think its sort of a "we did it first" thing, at least for gaming. A lot of things in the past had hefty performance chops for what are now standard features, anti aliasing being an obvious one, 32 bit colour also used to give framerate a bit of a kicking. It's likely be better on some games than others, Battlefield imo is not the type of game to showcase these effects considering its fast paced nature.

Tomb raider was showcased and bombed in performance

Caporegime
Tomb raider was showcased and bombed in performance

True but its not really the type of game that needs really high frame rates, might well have been better optimized for it. Won't know til the patch arrives to enable it. And even then i don't see that many playing through it again just to see slightly different shadows.

Back
Top Bottom