• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Battlefield V performance

Soldato
Eh? Gimmicks sell...And allows them to overprice their hardware for people to buy it. :p

I wouldn’t be surprised if people return their 2070 and 2080 series cards an buy a 1080ti :p

I learnt something today. AMD has a 40% to 45% faster card in those RX570 8GB cards over the GTX1050TI 4GB,and even added 3 games(including the latest AC),at under £160 and has RX580 4GB/8GB cards under £200 aimed at the GTX1060 3GB and had more free games too. Apparently that is not good enough,it needs to be an even faster RX590 8GB for £150,from self professed fans of AMD.

So even if you try to offer better price/performance than Nvidia,you might as well not bother since people won't care on either side,ie,Nvidia and technology fans will buy the new Nvidia cards at current prices ignoring price/performance,speed fans who want better value for money than an RTX card buy an older Pascal card,AMD fans won't buy AMD cards since all of them cost too much for them,and normal gamers look at the AMD fans moaning about AMD being overpriced,then see the same arguments with Nvidia being overpriced too,and then say might as well go Nvidia anyway.

JHH,then buys a nicer leather jacket.Business as usual.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I learnt something today. AMD has a 40% to 45% faster card in those RX570 8GB cards over the GTX1050TI 4GB,and even added 3 games(including the latest AC),at under £160 and has RX580 4GB/8GB cards under £200 aimed at the GTX1060 3GB and had more free games too. Apparently that is not good enough,it needs to be an even faster RX590 8GB for £150,from self professed fans of AMD.

So even if you try to offer better price/performance than Nvidia,you might as well not bother since people won't care on either side,ie,Nvidia and technology fans will buy the new Nvidia cards at current prices ignoring price/performance,speed fans who want better value for money than an RTX card buy an older Pascal card,AMD fans won't buy AMD cards since all of them cost too much for them,and normal gamers look at the AMD fans moaning about AMD being overpriced,then see the same arguments with Nvidia being overpriced too,and then say might as well go Nvidia anyway.

JHH,then buys a nicer leather jacket.Business as usual.

Dude if I had not bought a x34 monitor I would have bought a vega 64 not 1080ti

Soldato
Dude if I had not bought a x34 monitor I would have bought a vega 64 not 1080ti

This was not targetted at you personally but after seeing some comments,its making me wonder TBH. I personally think things are going to get worse over time. Even if AMD launched a Navi GPU at £250 which was the speed of the GTX1080,in six months time(this is not a prediction),I can see AMD fans moaning its too expensive or "too little too late and it haz no ray tracing and its another Vega64/Fury X rehash and old performance" and not buying it,Nvidia/tech fans saying an RTX2070 is better since it has ray tracing/DLSS and is worth even £100 to £150 more and Nvidia is more futureproof due to this,and normal gamers will just end up buying Nvidia since AMD is "behind in technology" due to the Nvidia and technology fans,and the AMD fanbase probably moaning at it,so they might as well go with the better known company. No wonder they pushed into CPUs more,as 70% of their revenue is now from CPU and its going to become even higher if Ryzen 2 works out.

I honestly hope Intel is serious about entering the GPU space,because its worrying what is happening with the market TBH.

Caporegime
This was not targetted at you personally but after seeing some comments,its making me wonder TBH. I personally think things are going to get worse over time. Even if AMD launched a Navi GPU at £250 which was the speed of the GTX1080,in six months time(this is not a prediction),I can see AMD fans moaning its too expensive or "too little too late and it haz no ray tracing and its another Vega64/Fury X rehash" and not buying it,Nvidia/tech fans saying an RTX2070 is better since it has ray tracing/DLSS and is worth even £100 to £150 more and Nvidia is more futureproof due to this,and normal gamers will just end up buying Nvidia since AMD is "behind in technology" due to the Nvidia and technology fans,and the AMD fanbase probably moaning at it,so they might as well go with the better known company.

I honestly hope Intel is serious about entering the GPU space,because its worrying what is happening with the market TBH.

AMD need to compete with the top tier NV cards aswell...to change the program embedded into the Green is best tunnel vision.

Soldato
AMD need to compete with the top tier NV cards aswell...to change the program embedded into the Green is best tunnel vision.

Even if they do,I am seriously doubting the sales will justify it. If people think an RX590 needs to be cheap as chips against a terrible card like a GTX1050TI(which is thrashed by an RX570 8GB),then how much can AMD charge?? Also if they do narrow margins massively(relative to Nvidia),will people just wait for the Nvidia cards to drop a bit more,and buy them instead?? They tried all this with the HD4000/HD5000/HD6000 series,and it seems the end result,was they thought consumer GPUs were a deadend and refocused onto CPUs. I really don't have an answer to this,TBF! Sometimes I wish there were more than 2 companies pushing gaming graphics on PC. There used to be!

Soldato
Correct. But could be that only one of those is the culprit, not sure, would have to be tested separately, but that would be difficult as far as the game update goes (mandatory).

Well I did the patch and the drivers. Windows wouldn’t update, but couldn’t get dx12 to work in multiplayer anyway - wouldn’t let me online so I just went back to dx11. I did notice in the guru review they said turning off ht on 6 and 8 cores improved frame rates so I might try that...

Soldato
Indeed hence why most are playing BF5 in DX 11 mode...I can’t fathom how anyone with a 2080ti having spent so much money can be happy with it...but it’s up to them!

One positive thing having RTX enabled. The bottleneck may make it less likely to fail as I'm sure the non RTX cores may only be running at 50-75% load. :)

And to be fair if the cards could run at 100% load on both the the standard cores and RTX cores it would probably overheat really fast.
Based on most models hitting 70-75c and 250-275W without RTX running. I'm assuming not running RTX means the RTX cores aren't doing anything.

I would be interesting to see the power consumption difference between RTX on and off.

Caporegime
You have to wonder how many £1100+ GPU owners use a 1080p monitor as their main screen? :O
I've got a 1080ti, run it @4K and if anything on a game like BFV I'm going to lower settings to gain fps rather than drop resolution to see a few subtle differences which you'll blink and miss in a fps shooter anyway.

Basically Nvidia have released a technology that should be in development for months if not years longer and shown themselves for what they are in the process.

They won't be getting a new purchase from me for a long time if ever again, the way things are going come upgrade time I'll be looking toward the next gen consoles especially now keyboard & mouse support is a thing....

Killing the golden goose eh Nvidia? :p

Associate
Well I did the patch and the drivers. Windows wouldn’t update, but couldn’t get dx12 to work in multiplayer anyway - wouldn’t let me online so I just went back to dx11. I did notice in the guru review they said turning off ht on 6 and 8 cores improved frame rates so I might try that...

You can always go via the creation tool and force the "update" that way if your interested. It's available from MS now with the October update

Associate
Everyone needs to calm down. This is early days for the tech. Antialiasing is a good analogy.
It's normal these days, it's like everyone has ADHD now.

Btw, that anti-aliasing analogy is a good one as there was a similar backlash about the performance hit. Who even has time to notice these things in a fast-paced multiplayer anyway? It would've been much better to choose a more suitable game to debut RTX.

Soldato
It's normal these days, it's like everyone has ADHD now.

Btw, that anti-aliasing analogy is a good one as there was a similar backlash about the performance hit. Who even has time to notice these things in a fast-paced multiplayer anyway? It would've been much better to choose a more suitable game to debut RTX.
AA didn't come along supported only by a range of cards that cost a good 40% more than everyone was expecting/happy with. It also wasn't used as a selling point because it worked on any card.

Associate
I have a 4690k and a 2080 FE...getting around 30fps with 10fps being my lowest on my 1440p g-sync monitor. All settings were ultra and dxr was set to medium. I had to turn rtx off almost immediately.

I have a 9700k arriving on sat so hopefully the game will at least become playable.

Soldato
Tessellation was in consumer GPUs from 2001,yet it took years for it to become viable. So not sure why people are getting so excited about some hybrid-RT effects which won't run very well,and then getting annoyed when its pointed out that it does not run very well,and the cards cost too much. Nowadays people have no patience,just like with AA - as many people said back then wait a few years,before jumping in and they were right. The people argueing with them,got too excited and wanted to be an early adopter,and the benefits were not there due to the terrible performance. So the detractors were correct.

The same with tessellation and the same with this. Buy the cards on their normal performance. If it works out good for you,then fine. Anything like RTX would be icing on the cake,but also expect the 2nd generation to end up doing it much better.

Last edited:
Associate
Tessellation was in consumer GPUs from 2001,yet it took years for it to become viable. So not sure why people are getting so excited about some hybrid-RT effects which won't run very well,and then getting annoyed when its pointed out that it does not run very well,and the cards cost too much. Nowadays people have no patience,just like with AA - as many people said back then wait a few years,before jumping in and they were right. The same with tessellation and the same with this. Buy the cards on their normal performance. Anything like RTX would be icing on the cake.

"We have been" spoiled by the latest Gen on value to performance, specially the 1080ti.

Dx12 is still a pain, should not be after this many years. (Many reasons, many directions to point fingers at)

No real new tech has been added to this field in years, most kids don't remember any of that because they where sucking on the tit.

People like to complain.
____

I'm an old fart as far as this field goes, had the voodoos, Rivas etc. So this is not something new to me. Personally I purshased a 2080ti to guarantee 100fps on Ultra-Wide 1440p in most games or close. Can't complain. And I value Nvidia's desision to not sit still and keep pushing tech.

Back
Top Bottom