BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Probably get Endemol to produce it with commentary by the Geordie bloke from Big Brother.
[Geordie accent]Lap three and Jenson Button has entered the pits. Kimi is having an ice cream[/Geordie accent]

I am not against adverts, but having them every 15 minutes interupts the race too much. Couldn't they just have a rolling banner ads or pop ups like they have in America sometimes? They would get more adverts, but not interrupt the race viewing.

Have you seen Nascar in the US? You get adverts every 5-10 minutes, they are usually short though at only 2-3 adverts :) Then when it comes back they are usually selling some wares :p

Associate
Football goes 45 minutes without adverts. Therefore it should be perfectly acceptable to have only a single add break during a ~90 minute race.

This is what annoyed me more than anything when F1 was on ITV. There's seemingly no reason why football only has one break during an entire game, yet when F1 was on ITV, there would be one every 15 minutes. The kick in the nuts is also that a football game would never be interrupted by the ad-break, as it would always occur at half-time.

Soldato
This is what annoyed me more than anything when F1 was on ITV. There's seemingly no reason why football only has one break during an entire game, yet when F1 was on ITV, there would be one every 15 minutes. The kick in the nuts is also that a football game would never be interrupted by the ad-break, as it would always occur at half-time.

It helps break up the monotony of the race. Money well saved !

MW

Caporegime
Channel 5 wouldn't have enough money for F1 - I highly doubt we would get the current quality of the BBC coverage.

This is the point though, the current BBC quality of coverage is unsustainable. Nowhere will give us the same quality of coverage. The bottom line is, if the BBC drop it, then anyone having it is better than nobody.

Associate
I think the issue is that the BBC could make F1 work, but we may simply have a 1 hour qualifing programme and a 2 hour 15 mins race programm. Cut most of the staff and the reporting and leave the interviews to online only. The thing is, i think a lot of people do like just watching the race, so perhaps a bad BBC show is the better option compared to a Channel 5 hash.

Caporegime
I think the issue is that the BBC could make F1 work, but we may simply have a 1 hour qualifing programme and a 2 hour 15 mins race programm. Cut most of the staff and the reporting and leave the interviews to online only. The thing is, i think a lot of people do like just watching the race, so perhaps a bad BBC show is the better option compared to a Channel 5 hash.

Thats minor cost cutting though. Unless your talking about them having no physical presence at tracks at all, with the anchor (Jake) being based in a studio somewhere and the cometary being done over a the world feed.

Associate
For those of you who want the BBC to keep F1 then please write to the BBC Trust, we pay the license fee so it is therefore our BBC and we should be able to have some influence on what we'd like to see.

The emails don't just disappear into an abyss they are apparently read and I even got a reply:

Thank you for your email to the BBC Trust. I am responding as a member of the Trust Unit which advises and supports the Chairman and Trustees.

I note your concerns about what you’ve heard with regard to Formula 1 on the BBC.

I should like to explain that in January, the Director-General of the BBC launched a wide-ranging consultation with BBC staff on how the Corporation can best deliver the highest quality programmes and services to audiences in the light of the new licence fee settlement.

This BBC-wide debate, called Delivering Quality First, gives staff the opportunity to input ideas about shaping the organisation’s future. At this stage, some of these ideas are being reported in the press but no decisions have been made.

The BBC Executive will present its formal recommendations to the BBC Trust later this year. Any significant proposals that impact on the audience will be subject to public consultation by the Trust before any decisions are taken.

In the meantime, I have forwarded you email on to BBC Audience Services so that they can take note of your views.

I hope this is helpful and thank you again for bringing your views to our attention.

Yours sincerely

John Hamer

BBC Trust Unit

It may well be a bit non-committal from the Trust at this stage, but then no firm decision has been made yet, however if the audience show enough support then we might just get to keep F1 ad-free.

This is the email address I wrote to - [email protected]

Associate
Unless the supporting audience also stump up a few extra million £'s, it wont make the blind bit of difference.

It doesn't hurt to try though, people are far too quick to just discount taking a few minutes to write to the organisations that are supposedly setup to represent us.
If you like the BBC's coverage of F1 then show some support.

Man of Honour

I don't think that is the problem - isn't it the cost paid to Bernie which is the real cost we're talking about here?

Soldato
Is anyone going to come up with any new sources as to prove that the BBC wants rid of F1, or are we just going to keep pretending the original flimsy article about the 'consultation' is enough to show that OMG BEEB AXING F1?

As has been said repeatedly, Formula 1 is one of the few programmes that actually pulls in the viewers, and does it well. I doubt it'll be first against the chopping block, by some distance.

Football goes 45 minutes without adverts. Therefore it should be perfectly acceptable to have only a single add break during a ~90 minute race.
Except that football is then almost entirely adverts during half-time. Are you really saying you'd be happy with a 12+ minute ad break halfway through a race?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom