BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
well the £22 million figure is from what was reported when the bbc paid for the uk rights for "the voice" not for the actual production of it and employing some Z list celeb.

unless your suggesting it would cost the bbc a similar amount to come up with yet another talent show then id say there is something very wrong with the so called creative minds at the bbc, or in television as a whole.

Not sure I understand all this... the way I read it is BBC will be showing extending highlights, but I wouldn't have thought they would have any presence there, just show it... so there wouldn't be a BBC team, just BBC showing the feed SKY give them.

Or have I missed something?

well the £22 million figure is from what was reported when the bbc paid for the uk rights for "the voice" not for the actual production of it and employing some Z list celeb.

unless your suggesting it would cost the bbc a similar amount to come up with yet another talent show then id say there is something very wrong with the so called creative minds at the bbc, or in television as a whole.
Agreed - I just cant see the defence for it, ignoring F1 costs at the moment, how can 22mil just to license a show be in the best interest of the license fee payer? The concept of which isnt that great, Im sure if someone threw 10mil to come up with something better suited it would be possible - you then still have to consider production costs for both ideas...

ps3ud0 :cool:

I wouldn't like to comment on the cost of producing TV shows, given that I have no factual knowledge of them.

Not sure I understand all this... the way I read it is BBC will be showing extending highlights, but I wouldn't have thought they would have any presence there, just show it... so there wouldn't be a BBC team, just BBC showing the feed SKY give them.

Or have I missed something?

The feed of F1 is FOM provided and the same for everyone. BBC currently produce their own stuff up to the race, comentate over the FOM feed, then do their own stuff after the race. If they are doing extended highlights then they only need to send the interview crew there for a recorded show. They don't need on site comentators or live feed equipment.

But, lets wait and see what happens.

Martin Brundle was never mentioned at all.

So reading between the lines, I'd say Jake is staying, the BBC want DC and Eddie to stay, and Martin has put himself 'up for sale'.

I can see DC & Brundle moving to Sky, as that will be the future place of F1. It would be short sighted to cling onto the BBC unless contracted for other things like Jake is.

Yep, moving to Sky totally makes sense for MB.

I don't know about DC though. It depends where he see's his career going. It will depend on what the BBC and Sky can offer him outside of F1.

Yep, moving to Sky totally makes sense for MB.

I don't know about DC though. It depends where he see's his career going. It will depend on what the BBC and Sky can offer him outside of F1.
I was always the opinion that both DC and EJ did the presenting as a paid favour (more that they choose to be there than have to be unlike JH) - I dont think either outfit can offer them anything outside of F1 that they would be interested in at all...

In reality the real (expert) talent will move to Sky, as good as JH is, hes still is only a sports presenter and wouldnt class him learned...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
In reality the real (expert) talent will move to Sky, as good as JH is, hes still is only a sports presenter and wouldnt class him learned...

Indeed, but when presenting sport, a sports presenter is what you need! Without a decent anchor like Jake, DC and EJ would be lost.

My predictions:

DC, EJ and Jake will stay with BBC.

MB will go to Sky.

MB will get a new co-comentator from Sky. Hopefully a recent ex driver.

The BBC will bring in other comentators for the Live races, and use R5L for the highlights. They may move Crofty and Davidson to the TV for the Live races.

Sky will use a generic anchor from their stock of presenters for the Jake role. Possibly studios based too.

Either way, I cant see the DC/MB partnership remaining, which will be a shame.

Thing is unless the coverage is at least as good as the BBC's then Sky will be seen as dumbing down the coverage. That means presenters at the races and in the pits and pitlane reporters sticking their Mic in drivers faces. I think sky know this so I doubt there'll be studio in the uk and only commentary.

Last edited:
Money can do a lot to people and you'd be surprised how soon their allegiance changes. I wouldn't be surprised if Sky approached the lot of them. Given they have enough money and it's been proven how effective the team are.

From my selfish point of view, I hope they do all move over as I'll paying for it regardless.

My predictions:

DC, EJ and Jake will stay with BBC.

MB will go to Sky.

MB will get a new co-comentator from Sky. Hopefully a recent ex driver.

The BBC will bring in other comentators for the Live races, and use R5L for the highlights. They may move Crofty and Davidson to the TV for the Live races.

Sky will use a generic anchor from their stock of presenters for the Jake role. Possibly studios based too.

Either way, I cant see the DC/MB partnership remaining, which will be a shame.
i thought they already said they would share commentators with sky?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom