BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The license fee is a fee for a license to receive a broadcast TV signal. That covers all channels. You cant simply not watch BBC and refuse to buy a license.

I actually thought it was a licenece fee for "owning tv equipment".

IE if you ONLY have monitors in your house (to watch dvd's etc on) then you would be fine - but they make it nigh on impossible to get away without a licence if you have any kind of actual tv reception equipment in your house (even if it isnt attached to an aerial)

I actually thought it was a licenece fee for "owning tv equipment".
)

Nope. It's a fee to watch/record a live tv broadcast.
So not only can you own tv devices, sky boxes, you can also watch 95% of stuff on iplayer,4OD and the rest with no need to buy a tv license.

You can even subscribe to sky and have the box connected up,as longs you only use it for the radio stations. Although there's no need for that to be connected to a tv.

The issue comes with having the ability to receive live TV. If you own all the kit but say you don't use it, they only have your word to go on and this usually isn't enough.

Shame Sky boxes don't work without a viewing card :(. Any ideas what you get with a DVB-S card attached to the Sky dish?

The issue comes with having the ability to receive live TV. If you own all the kit but say you don't use it, they only have your word to go on and this usually isn't enough.

Shame Sky boxes don't work without a viewing card :(. Any ideas what you get with a DVB-S card attached to the Sky dish?

This isn't really an issue unless you have it all plugged in and tuned in. just read the TV licensing website, although they do try and hide the info. Also you don't have to let them in. So there's no way they can see what you have and haven't got.

As well as Scib batteries didn't realise one manufacture had already selected them. Although a few years ago.
http://www.buildelectricmotorcycle....ed-for-ev-neo-hondas-new-electric-motorcycle/
http://www.zemotoring.com/news/2010/07/toshiba-and-mitsubishi-working-on-scib-ev-batteries

Last edited:
anyone else find themselves loosing interest in the races since the sky announcement? Knowing that I will not see it next year and that this year is pretty much decided I findi have the tv on but I'm just not glued to it like before

I felt exactly the same this race, not sure if it's because of the 3 week gap, the announcement or the fact the championship is over.

Reading this months F1 racing I can now see why the money men took the decision to cut F1. They say the average cost per viewer for a program on the bbc is 7p and F1 cost £1.50 per viewer. Dread to think of what thats costing sky per viewer.

Also that the teams are limited to 45 team members for a race weekend and the BBC crew was 43 :D

I felt exactly the same this race, not sure if it's because of the 3 week gap, the announcement or the fact the championship is over.

Reading this months F1 racing I can now see why the money men took the decision to cut F1. They say the average cost per viewer for a program on the bbc is 7p and F1 cost £1.50 per viewer. Dread to think of what thats costing sky per viewer.

Also that the teams are limited to 45 team members for a race weekend and the BBC crew was 43 :D

I was about to post almost exactly the same.

I am not sure if it is because F1 is going to Sky, the 3 week break or that RBR are running away with it, but I have really lost interest (for the first time in a very long time).

I can understand why F1 is going, and while I incorrectly blamed the BBC it is Bernie who has screwed us.

Still makes me very sad given how long I have been following F1 :(

Glad I am not the only one feeling like this.

now that's weird, the BBC only took 43

I hope they all stayed 5* and travelled first class.

how the hell can F1 cost £1.50 per viewer, how the hell can F1 be rated at cost per viewer, F1 is going to lose viewers, not gain viewers

all that matters is the money not the viewers, F1 is getting more money and fewer viewers.

Those plucky F1 chaps are probably thinking they can sweet talk those confussled sponsors out of their cash regardless.

The truth is that the F1 gravey train has hit the buffers. I predict several teams to dissappear in the next few years and Williams are near the top of the list. Renault not far behind.

Those plucky F1 chaps are probably thinking they can sweet talk those confussled sponsors out of their cash regardless.

Remember that the UK is a very small audience, compared the total worldwide audience.
Yes, the audience total may decrease in the short term, but the when you look at the worldwide figures, it won't decrease by much.

This is what the sponsors will be told and when backed up by figures, sponsors will be put at ease.

Last edited:

The truth is that the F1 gravey train has hit the buffers. I predict several teams to dissappear in the next few years and Williams are near the top of the list. Renault not far behind.

Well the sponsors don't seem to care, we haven't heard a peep out of any of them. F1 is a worldwide market and as long as they are happy with the total numbers then I assume the only ones that would care would be UK specific sponsors and I doubt there are too many of them.

The teams you mention were already in trouble, BBC or not and teams always come and go BBC or not.

Am I dissapointed yes, do I think this will impact F1 no. None of the sponsors cared when JV sat out a season and Canadian viewing figures dropped worse than they will in this country. Just the same as the rest of the world won't care about the uk market dropping from around 6m to 1 or 2 million for 10 races.

I think if the sponsors really cared we would have heard something by now, I myself hoped a Vodafone or Santander would try to renegotiate a contract based on loss of viewers but now the rage has died off I realise we are just another small fish in a huge pond.:(

Well the sponsors don't seem to care, we haven't heard a peep out of any of them. F1 is a worldwide market and as long as they are happy with the total numbers then I assume the only ones that would care would be UK specific sponsors and I doubt there are too many of them.

It not just about total numbers, it's a product of total numbers and affluence. Exposure to a million Brits is worth far more than exposure to a million Indians.

I really don't think they care about the UK audience tbh, we are very small in the scheme of things - the emerging markets are worth a lot more both to F1 and the sponsors.

It not just about total numbers, it's a product of total numbers and affluence. Exposure to a million Brits is worth far more than exposure to a million Indians.

India and China are the 2 markets that pretty much ALL companies are trying to break into. Basically, these are the 2 fastest growing economies in the World and as such, any major corporation wants a piece of that pie.

I understand what you are getting at though...just that you chose the wrong example.

Now if you said UK vs Brazil, that would've been a better example.

Exactly F1 isn't putting as much effort into that area of the world for no reason. 5-6 million brits is a mere drop in the ocean.

It's not like British companies and wealthy men are pouring money into F1 like they used to. Then they might have more weight. Hell Branson baulked at pouring in proper money to a world championship winning team.

Money is coming into F1 from so many other bigger players and countries.

Nope. It's a fee to watch/record a live tv broadcast.
So not only can you own tv devices, sky boxes, you can also watch 95% of stuff on iplayer,4OD and the rest with no need to buy a tv license.

You can even subscribe to sky and have the box connected up,as longs you only use it for the radio stations. Although there's no need for that to be connected to a tv.

Im sorry this is just wrong

The onus is on the householder to prove they are not using the tv reception equippment, the onus is NOT on the vans etc to prove you are using it!!! An inspecction of the premesis (especially if a private residence) will be required at some point.

As far as Im aware ALL 4od, iplayer etc programs are all posted after a delay. so these are not covered by tv licencing. However watching (for instance) live F1 race / quali on the net IS part of the licence fee.

(live races etc arent actually iplayer links until after it has finished, even though it does use the same software)

Its actually interesting as an inspector COULD viably insist that any pc linked to the net is suitable equipment to view live shows - and therefore insist on tv licence being paid (I have to say I think this isnt likely yet - although it could be soon).

edit - the website actually stated " ...or you use your computer to only watch tv after it has finished broadcasting". To me this suggests they could ask to look at browser history etc, to see whether its just delayed programs or those that are broadcast live also....

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/what-if-a-tv-licence-is-not-needed-top12/

Considering the cost of sky - I cant see the likelyhood of subscribing just for the radio, and I wouldnt be surprised if in the Sky agreement the customer agrees to allow Sky letting the TV Licencing Beaureu know the subscribed channels (if required).

It certainly isnt wrong at all. The onus is not on you and never has been. The onus is squarely on them, just like anything else in law. They can not get a warrant without proof and without a warrant they have no right of access to your property.

As I said you can watch 95% of stuff on iplayer and the likes as it is not broadcast live.

The sky radio thing is an interesting snippet which is actually on the tvlicensing website.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/technology-top8/
Sky+, games consoles and digital TV recorders

If you use Sky+, Playstation or any other games console or a digital TV recorder to watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV, you need to be covered by a TV Licence. This is also the case if you use a DVD/VHS recorder.

If you only use your digital box to produce sounds (i.e. you don't use it to display programmes), then you don't need a TV Licence.

Computers and laptops

Many TV channels are now available to watch over the internet. If you’re watching programmes on a computer or laptop as they're being*shown on TV, then you need a TV Licence. However, you don’t need to be covered by a licence if you’re only using ‘on-demand’ services to watch programmes after they have been shown on TV. So, you need a licence to watch any channel live online, but you wouldn’t need one to use BBC iPlayer to catch up on an episode of a programme you*missed, for example.
Mobile phones

Just as with any other device, if you’re watching programmes as they’re*being shown on TV*on a phone or any other mobile device, you need to be covered by a licence. If you're covered by a valid licence at the address where you live, you'll be licensed to use any device powered solely by its own internal batteries outside the home too.

Last edited:
you can get sky hd on 1 feed. The 2nd is to record a 2nd channel while u watch the first. With 1 feed u can only record what u watch.

Sky box won't work without a viewing card.

Just to confirm this information as a user who only has 1 feed in their apartment.

The other thing I would add is to disable Sky Anytime (through the menu) as it can screw around with the feed and sometimes make the box stop working properly until you power it off and back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom