BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you subscribe to the sports package you're subscription is renewed under a 12 month contract.

Unless something has changed that I'm unaware of?

Erm, are you crazy? your overall subscription needs to last for a minimum of 12 months. In that time you can add and reduce packages as you see fit, even going from the cheapest right up to the full 'Sky World' package and down again. Subscribing to Skyu Sports for one month doesn't tie you into a 12 month contract at all. (although I'm sure Sky would love it to!)

Erm, are you crazy? your overall subscription needs to last for a minimum of 12 months. In that time you can add and reduce packages as you see fit, even going from the cheapest right up to the full 'Sky World' package and down again. Subscribing to Skyu Sports for one month doesn't tie you into a 12 month contract at all. (although I'm sure Sky would love it to!)

Hmm, did it ever in the past? Wonder why I had thought otherwise.

In all cases, we may need a couple of minutes of your time

As it is our duty to ensure that everyone in the UK who needs a licence has one, we may visit your address to check that no TV Licence is required. It's unfortunately necessary to do this, as when we make contact on these visits, almost a fifth of people are found to need a TV Licence. Please be assured that this is a routine visit, and will take no more than a few minutes. If, during the visit, we find that you do in fact need a licence, you'll need to pay the full licence fee. Please note that you may also face prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000.

The only reason a householder wouldnt allow someone in, is if they are hiding something its as simple as that.

As stated the onus is on the person in the property to prove they dont need a licence, otherwise at some point its pretty obvious a baliff (or similar) could be required just to complete the inspection if nothing else.

I said exactly the same regarding on demand /non live events

I would also be VERY careful about using a tv / stb to just LISTEN to a live show without having the screen on, I dont believe thats whats actually meant by "only listening to sounds" as you are still partaking in a paid for service

Last edited:
A former colleague of mine was formerly a TV license man and I assure you, you are not obliged to let anybody into your home, if you do not wish to. Even a bailiff does not have to be let in. Of course, he can then proceed to enter through any open windows/doors. The Police and the UK Borders Agency are about the only organisation in the UK who you must open the door for. If not, they can break down your door, providing they have a warrant/paperwork.

TV license-men are basically salesmen and as such have ZERO powers.

The only reason a householder wouldnt allow someone in, is if they are hiding something its as simple as that.

Nonsense. I am a VERY private person and I only allow people into my home on appointment. If a friend/family members comes to my house unannounced, I will let them in, but I am not normally happy about unannounced visits as I am pretty busy programming and absolutely HATE to be disturbed.

For people like door to door salesmen and time wasters...I don't even bother answering the door.

TV license-men have as much power as a door to door salesman selling double glazed windows.

I'm shocked that anybody would hold a tv license-man in such high esteem, that they would feel obliged to let them into your home.

again totally wrong. The onus is on them to prove it, tv license inspectors have zero rights. They can only get rights by getting a court warrant which requires evidence. Which they can't get.
People who don't use tv still don't let them in as again they have ZERO rights and you have ZERO obligations to do anything.

My hopes of having Sky Sports for the next F1 season have just been shattered. :(

Dad just cancelled our Sky subscription after an argument with someone from Sky. Basically Sky wouldn't let us have a Sky+ HD box without them sending an engineer out to fit some new cables, despite my dad explaining to them that he's having a friend round in a couple of days to upgrade our dish and aerial and that he'll do all the other necessary bits and bobs himself. So despite my dad (or rather, my dad's friend) being able to save Sky time and money from not having to send an engineer out, they're refusing to let us have a new box. The installation would have been free anyway, so it's not like Sky would be losing money from my dad's friend doing the work for them. So much for being a loyal customer for over 10 years.

My hopes of having Sky Sports for the next F1 season have just been shattered. :(

Dad just cancelled our Sky subscription after an argument with someone from Sky. Basically Sky wouldn't let us have a Sky+ HD box without them sending an engineer out to fit some new cables, despite my dad explaining to them that he's having a friend round in a couple of days to upgrade our dish and aerial and that he'll do all the other necessary bits and bobs himself. So despite my dad (or rather, my dad's friend) being able to save Sky time and money from not having to send an engineer out, they're refusing to let us have a new box. The installation would have been free anyway, so it's not like Sky would be losing money from my dad's friend doing the work for them. So much for being a loyal customer for over 10 years.

Why didn't your dad just let them do it for the hassle it's worth?

Exactly F1 isn't putting as much effort into that area of the world for no reason. 5-6 million brits is a mere drop in the ocean.

It's not like British companies and wealthy men are pouring money into F1 like they used to. Then they might have more weight. Hell Branson baulked at pouring in proper money to a world championship winning team.

Money is coming into F1 from so many other bigger players and countries.

I'm not convinced, the core market is always the one to look after, look at Tescos and M&S.

I agree that this is their thinking, but they are mistaken, the Asian cultures are completely different and have their own interests.

Redbull, Vodafone Santander, Marlboro sort of, then Petronas maybe after that it all get's a bit blurry, rich mens play things until they get bored,

The main reason F1 has so many new races clamouring to get on the calendar is because of the publicity in the western world, not because they love F1.

Motor racing as such is not that popular, F1 will not get any more popular in these new markets. It will not gain viewers.

Why didn't your dad just let them do it for the hassle it's worth?

You'd have to ask him to fully understand his motives, but in a nutshell he doesn't want an engineer coming round doing things his own way (main reason from what I gather). I can actually imagine my dad being a bit of a back-seat engineer if he did let someone come round. But I think the guy my dad was talking to also put on a bit of a poor show and came across as rude, which is now why my parents have sent an email to Sky complaining about their customer service. :rolleyes: My dad has also heard things about Sky engineers not being so great and he has pretty high standards (he likes things absolutely perfect).

If by joke you mean absolute bargain then yes, you are right.

whys it a bargain? the only program i watch live is f1 which wont be around anymore... all the other programs i watch are american series which dont air in the uk for ages so i watch them on itunes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom