BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OP
Yes, but everyone seems to be acting like just the idea of Sky letting you install your own stuff is ludicrous, when it's hardly out of the realms of possibility for them to do that.

Both sides in this argument appear to be unnecessarily inflexible.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that an end user could install it. It's just their policy that THEY do it. Don't want them to do it? Don't get sky. It's really phenomenally simple.

Caporegime
I have a BT line outside that i want to move 15ft down the wall. Will i contact BT? No. I will move it myself.

*facepalm*

Why are people incapable of understanding this?

Sure, go ahead, move the cable. But if you then plug it all back in and your phone signal is shoddy, are you going to phone BT and complain? And if you do, what are you expecting them to say other than "your own fault"?

To avoid this potential hassle and inevitable customer complaints of "OMG Sky refused to fix my broken cable, there so ****!" Sky insist on installing and/or testing your set-up themselves. That way, they have your setup documented, and if anything goes wrong, they will be responsible to fix it. It arguably means they provide better customer service as they are guaranteeing the quality of your entire setup. Regardless of weather you know your setup or not, being told "sorry, we didn't install that, we cant help you fix it" is going to annoy anyone who asks for support.

Its such a simple concept. I don't get why people are making such a big thing about it. :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
My dad cancelled our Sky subscription because Sky insisted on having one of their engineers do all the work. My dad told Sky he has his own contractor coming round to upgrade our dish and aerial at the same time and to do some stuff with some booster thing in our loft that enables us to watch the same Sky feed on all the TVs in our house (not sure if Sky even deal with these). Now, my dad has told me he wouldn't have had a problem with a Sky engineer coming round just to check the equipment is set up correctly and everything, but the person my dad was speaking to never offered this as an option - it was either get our engineer to do all the work or jog on.

Admittedly my dad is stubborn and likes things done his own way (he goes by the ethos of "if you want something done right, do it yourself" and is a bit of a perfectionist). No surprise really seeing as my dad is a gas and electrical engineer himself.

Sky were offering my dad some good deals to try and convince him otherwise, but it really all came down to the fact that they were refusing to send an engineer out just to check.

Anyway, this thread has gone waaaaay off topic. :rolleyes: I'd rather we didn't continue discussing how stupid my dad is.

Caporegime
Seems the only one keeping this discussion going is you, repeating the same flawed argument over and over. What if they sent a guy out 'just to check' and your dads wiring turned out to be no good? Its not like the guy could install things correctly, after all, he's 'just there to check'. :rolleyes:

Back on topic, does anyone know the date when Bernie and the BBC are going to be 'summoned' to explain themselves to MPs?

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not out of the realm of possibility that an end user could install it. It's just their policy that THEY do it. Don't want them to do it? Don't get sky. It's really phenomenally simple.
Dear god, it makes me despair every time somebody uses this argument. How dare somebody question the options a company gives them. How very dare they.

Caporegime
Dear god, it makes me despair every time somebody uses this argument. How dare somebody question the options a company gives them. How very dare they.

You act surprised.

Watch what happens when people are given two lanes to queue at to get into a multi storey car park.

How many of them will all queue up in the same lane, leaving the next lanes empty.

And then watch the evil looks and abuse you get if you dare use that second lane and "queue jump"

Caporegime
You act surprised.

Watch what happens when people are given two lanes to queue at to get into a multi storey car park.

How many of them will all queue up in the same lane, leaving the next lanes empty.

And then watch the evil looks and abuse you get if you dare use that second lane and "queue jump"

Yeah, thats totally the same as cancelling a Sky contract because they wanted to send an engineer out for free :confused::confused::confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom