BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Am still tempted by getting a second dish but tbh i watch most of the races on my pc anyway so unless they geoblock the stream next year rtl online+ 5live might do fine for me for the races not on bbc.

I personally couldn't think of anything worse, having to watch a whole race sat at a desk or with a laptop on my lap. Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't beat a race on a big screen and a decent AV setup.

Associate
I personally couldn't think of anything worse, having to watch a whole race sat at a desk or with a laptop on my lap. Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't beat a race on a big screen and a decent AV setup.

there are worse things lol, i have a comfy chair, a couple of 23 inch wide screens and a dvb-s card so i can even watch in hd if i want, i tend to be doing something else on the other screen like 3d work whilst watching the gp anyway so it suits me well. And no it doesnt beat watching on a big tv but i have one of them also and will setup a second dish for rtl if the online stream give me issues, its only going to be for some of the races not on bbc that i want to watch live, which i'm sure wont be all of them going by the last few years.

For me personally paying for sky just isnt justifiable as i would be getting it purely for the other half of the f1 coverage and the choice between reduced quality for a few races vs £5-600 a year then its no contest really i'd rather the money.

Man of Honour
Just get the £25 dish and receiver like I did (need a dish finder tool or compass though) :p You can infact receive both (UK FTA & Astra) on the same dish but its a little fiddly, I went for the easier option as the dish is out of view any way.

Associate
Just get the £25 dish and receiver like I did (need a dish finder tool or compass though) :p You can infact receive both (UK FTA & Astra) on the same dish but its a little fiddly, I went for the easier option as the dish is out of view any way.

yup, only reason i'm not rushing out to get one is i live in rented accomodation and they setup all the satellite kit that is there at the moment, but i really dont think my landlord would have a problem with another small dish if i want to do that.

Soldato

Lol, i guess you don't have the technical know-how to output your pc to your TV or favourite device to watch in your most comfortable room.

It's pretty easy, and it increases your options. It he's online streaming though then obviously quality won't be as high, but if he's using a DVB-S card, then there's no difference.

Soldato
**** YOU BERNIE & RUPERT

Got me a second dish to point at a Euro sat :D

photojbw.jpg

£25 for the kit inc receiver from B&Q!
Nice one!

You can point it at the hardcore pr0n satellites while you're waiting for next years F1 to roll around. :D

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Lol, i guess you don't have the technical know-how to output your pc to your TV or favourite device to watch in your most comfortable room.

Nope, my mac mini acting as a HTPC under the TV in the lounge must be redundant. Sigh.

there are worse things lol, i have a comfy chair, a couple of 23 inch wide screens and a dvb-s card so i can even watch in hd if i want, i tend to be doing something else on the other screen like 3d work whilst watching the gp anyway so it suits me well. And no it doesnt beat watching on a big tv but i have one of them also and will setup a second dish for rtl if the online stream give me issues, its only going to be for some of the races not on bbc that i want to watch live, which i'm sure wont be all of them going by the last few years.

For me personally paying for sky just isnt justifiable as i would be getting it purely for the other half of the f1 coverage and the choice between reduced quality for a few races vs £5-600 a year then its no contest really i'd rather the money.

Completely understand, in that instance.

Soldato
Nope, my mac mini acting as a HTPC under the TV in the lounge must be redundant. Sigh.

Completely understand, in that instance.

Then why did you assume that the guy would sat at a desk? :confused:

Anyway, lets get over it. I think we're all saying that there are ways to watch the races without a sky subscription, and all of them can be as comfortable as each other, though some ways might require more set-up, read messing about.

Man of Honour

Well thats easy, comps connected the the av receiver and big tv.

Caporegime
Apologies for not reading further up but help a fellow Mclaren fan out here ... :p

What exactly is that dish to do ? You're going to be able to watch the F1 races on Sky for free or something, effectively?

He is going to point it at the EU satalites and pick up the free to air channels available on those networks (just like using a Sky dish here to pick up the Freesat channels).

The EU network uses a different satalite, so you need a second dish to the normal Sky one.

Man of Honour
^ Yep. You can aim a single dish and have two LNB's but its quite fiddly to do so easier to just put up a second dish. My surround sound has a built in tuner so I'll just put that on 5Live for commentary.

Soldato
I used to do this to watch english football on a saturday via Premier. Its extremely easy. You've got Astra and Hotbird just 6 degrees apart so a wide range of channels to choose from.

Sky used to use the astra 1 satellites for their analogue network, now they rent astra 2D instead.

Associate
looking into getting polsat but not sure if the commentary is in english.....would be in HD aswell...subscription is around £12 a month i think, and as the other half is polish she is interested for the polish tv channels, and as she has flat in poland can tie the subscription there.....

anyone else used polsat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom