BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
looking into getting polsat but not sure if the commentary is in english.....would be in HD aswell...subscription is around £12 a month i think, and as the other half is polish she is interested for the polish tv channels, and as she has flat in poland can tie the subscription there.....

anyone else used polsat?

Not tried it myself.

But when I was doing the coast to coast a few weekends ago we stopped off at a pub in Penrith to watch the football. They were using Polsat and it was in HD, the feed was sky sports HD and had the normal commentary.

Associate
i know on eurosport for instance that the commentary is switchable between english and polish, as is some of the documentary/film channels.....i see they have the rights until 2013 so should get a couple of years of f1 out of it....

Soldato
it's already bad enough that sky took over for half the races next year, can u imagine those idiots talking about f1 and add breaks ever 5seconds, i'm from ireland and i'm italian and i can honestly say bbc f1 coverage is the best coverage of any sport i've seen and it's free to view aswell which is amazing. jake dc eddie martin u will be missed :(

Caporegime
Sky has confirmed its F1 race coverage will be free of adverts when it begins in 2012.

A spokesperson told F1 Fanatic: "There won’t be any ad breaks. Every second of every race will be live and uninterrupted."

Not quite.

The statement from Sky said "the races will be free of ad breaks in 2012".

There have been no guarantees of anything regarding ad's from 2013 onwards.

Caporegime
So as a person with no satellite dish or active Sky sub would I just need the kit Duke got and set that up to watch F1 next year (with R5L over the top of it?). TBH I dont think I need commentary, usually happy with the F1 timing app and my own nounce...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Caporegime
So as a person with no satellite dish or active Sky sub would I just need the kit Duke got and set that up to watch F1 next year (with R5L over the top of it?). TBH I dont think I need commentary, usually happy with the F1 timing app and my own nounce...

Have you ever watched a race with no commentary? Its incredibly difficult to follow.

Man of Honour

I've not got mine mounted yet (decided to spray paint it matt black as it doesn't show up so much then as bare metal), but will post the info up on what to do etc once done. I got the kit early to test it on the races before the end of the season.

Man of Honour
Lots of fans will be missing out next year. Me included as i aint getting Sky TV!!

Just get a dish and watch RTL like I'm doing. I finished putting the dish up and got it tuned in.. going to see what the coverage/quality is like. I didn't use the included sat box as it was awful (as expected for the price) but it is do-able for £50-100 which is a lot better than £30 a month for Sky Sports.

Soldato
Where are you buying that from :eek: £22 on top of you normal subscription here.

Maybe I'm the only person who thinks its good value? Maybe not JUST for F1 but overall dam good value imo

But for someone who would only get Sky to watch F1...

It's a rip off for anyone who doesn't have sky currently.

And even then the £22pm extra over any sky package just for F1 is also a rip.

This RTL thing seems like a good idea tho, can you get that in HD?

Man of Honour
Where are you buying that from :eek: £22 on top of you normal subscription here.

Maybe I'm the only person who thinks its good value? Maybe not JUST for F1 but overall dam good value imo

When I had Sky a couple of years ago, the general 6 pack was £21 odd a month, so even if you have Sky, it will be £264 per year and if you don't.. £500+ odd. If you watch loads of sports then I'm sure it is worth it, but purely for F1 it is very expensive. They could have put it on just one Sky Sports channel which would have made it a little cheaper.

Think I'll keep to having Freesat HD+ for UK channels and Freesat HD for the Euro channels inc RTL.

They do, but its £10 a month or something extra. I think there are some other channel options as well, so will see how this goes and re-align the dish to a new sat if there are better options.

Associate
But for someone who would only get Sky to watch F1...

It's a rip off for anyone who doesn't have sky currently.

And even then the £22pm extra over any sky package just for F1 is also a rip.

Agreed. I doubt many people will subscribe to sky (existing and new customers) purely for F1. I have sky but I'm not paying £20 per month or whatever it is extra just for the other 10 a year races that won't be live on the BBC. The other events on their sports channels are of no interest to me. I find football about as entertaining as a telegraph pole convention

Soldato
So what equipment do we need for RTL?
And do you have to keep realigning the dish between freesat and what ever RTL is on?

Either your sky mini dish and point it 19,2 degrees east of south. Or a say an 80cm dish with a dual monoblock LNB set 6 degrees apart, then you can pick up both astra and hotbird satellites at the same time.

To continue to watch sky or freesat you'd been a dish pointing 28.x degrees east of south, so unless you have a motorised setup, it's easier just get a separate dish.

Aligning the dish by hand is very easy. You just need a compass and satellite finder, which is a tool you plug into the LNB and beeps when the dish is correctly aligned.

Of course you can use a standard set top box, or a DVB-S card in you computer. With the later you can also be a bit naughty and get things your not suppose to without a subscription, but i won't talk about that.

Associate
I'm a new guy to the sky scene, and have sky freesat with the plan of upgrading on the future to the subscription package, including sky sports. but now after hearing how any is going to ruin my F1 experience , I'm not going to bother. I think Bernie is going to lose a lot of money for doing this deal .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom