BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
But what about the races that BBC are doing live? I thought Sky also had them, so what, there will be exactly the same coverage on two channels? :eek:

If Crofty is the "commentator", that puts Brundle back to being the "expert". I thought he was enjoying the new role he has at BBC.

Caporegime
But what about the races that BBC are doing live? I thought Sky also had them, so what, there will be exactly the same coverage on two channels? :eek:

Yes, thats pretty much it. A big win for BBC viewers... Untill Sky stick adverts on during the race...

If Crofty is the "commentator", that puts Brundle back to being the "expert". I thought he was enjoying the new role he has at BBC.

He is, and I think haveing DC as the expert works really well as Brundle is 15 year out of touch with real world F1 experience. However, being back ion the Expert seat would be fine by me. I hope they also steal the guests they have on R5L like Chandhok and Sam Michaels, etc.

Soldato
Crofty and Brundle, an epic combination.

I also didn't realise the BBC had access to the Sky commentary. I hope they do cheap out and just use Brundle/Crofty rather than trying to make a half arsed attempt with their own people.

It will be a major loss for R5L though :(

Will be a pity to lose Brundle completely, always liked his style.

As we found with Legard (who Im guessing was a decent radio broadcaster) just because you have the skills in that, doesnt mean Crofty will make a decent tv commentator

As for what the BBC will do - its very hard to tell, they bought Brundle over for his Grid walks, so they will probably want to keep them if possible - but they also have to think about Jake (who they have backed considerably and seems to be liked by the viewers)

A Studio crew of Jake, Eddie maybe DC also that cuts to the race /sky feed 15 minutes prior when there is a grid walk (unless Brundle does one at every race for Sky, but I think thats unlikely)

The actual commentary is just two guys in a room with microphones. Oddly that is the easiest bit that costs almost nothing and doesn't even need to be done track-side (as R5L prove!)

One thing I have never been sure of is whether Brundle and DC in the commentary box get FOM feeds that arent necessarily shown on the transmitted feed? (lie a scaled down directors console, but with no choice about what goes out)

I always thought they did - and therefore doing the commentary with out this might not be so informative (which Im guessing they would have to do if they werent trackside)

Just guessing mind you

Last edited:
Associate
As we found with Legard (who Im guessing was a decent radio broadcaster) just because you have the skills in that, doesnt mean Crofty will make a decent tv commentator

The less said about Legard the better, but thanks to him I spent all of 2009 and 2010 watching iplayer with 5Live commentary and it was excellent. The only reason I don't stlill do this (despite liking Brundle & Coulthard) is because I now watch it in HD on my TV and don't have the choice of audio.

Remember that on radio Crofty is still comentating from the same TV feed that the TV presenters are, so there's hopefully no reason to think he wouldn't be just as good if "officially" on TV.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Saw MBs tweet and I'm incredibly pleased. To hear Crofty is going to join him is great. By MB going to Sky no one loses out then, assuming the BBC do take the commentary feed. If he hadn't gone then we only would have had 10 races of MB commentary and the rest would have had no continuity.

Good result, just a shame DC isn't joining.

alx

alx

Soldato
The whole reason the BBC are doing it though is to cut costs. Which means sending less people to each race, maybe not even any at all.

They won't be saving much money if they're still sending a huge squad to produce the pre-race shows. That is where 80% of the production time and money is spent!

The actual commentary is just two guys in a room with microphones. Oddly that is the easiest bit that costs almost nothing and doesn't even need to be done track-side (as R5L prove!)

I think that Jake will be out of a job, as well as loads of other BBC staff. The key faces like MB, DC, EJ, TK will get poached by Sky. And the BBC will just regurgitate the same pre-race content and commentary that Sky pumps out.

Surely they're saving the most from the fee Bernie charges the BBC to broadcast F1 coverage? £30 million a year isn't it?

Production costs would pale in comparison to that.

Soldato
Im confused - the main reaon to have MB is for his grid walks and the access he gets - why wouldnt Sky make sure he does that every race?

ps3ud0 :cool:

for the same reason that Brundle didnt want to do it every race for the BBC - he likes doing it in the "major" races so drivers react better to him - rather than seeing him every race when they are trying to get into "zone" - plus distance from grid to commentary box can be excessive in some venues

I would also question whether the grid walks are the "main" reason - maybe a large factor, but he is still the main commentator now - and has been associated with the F1 commentary for years (admittedly as the technical part for the majority of it, but his voice is now synonomous with F1 commentary for younger viewers)

The less said about Legard the better, but thanks to him I spent all of 2009 and 2010 watching iplayer with 5Live commentary and it was excellent. The only reason I don't stlill do this (despite liking Brundle & Coulthard) is because I now watch it in HD on my TV and don't have the choice of audio.

Remember that on radio Crofty is still comentating from the same TV feed that the TV presenters are, so there's hopefully no reason to think he wouldn't be just as good if "officially" on TV.

There is still a different aspect to commentate for the radio as for the tv, its got nothing to do with what feed they are using , its more about how they descibe the action - some people (sounds like you included) enjoy having the pictures described for you while you are seeing it - as its mainly for radio listeners - while other viewers drives them up the wall :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
?

Sky are broadcasting every race live. If he does grid walks for them, he will be doing them every race.
Sorry I was responding to FrankJHs earlier post, but looks like he edited it before I finished posting - something along the lines that Sky might not use him for lots of grid walks...

for the same reason that Brundle didnt want to do it every race for the BBC - he likes doing it in the "major" races so drivers react better to him - rather than seeing him every race when they are trying to get into "zone" - plus distance from grid to commentary box can be excessive in some venues

I would also question whether the grid walks are the "main" reason - maybe a large factor, but he is still the main commentator now - and has been associated with the F1 commentary for years (admittedly as the technical part for the majority of it, but his voice is now synonomous with F1 commentary for younger viewers)
AFAIK MB does as many grid walks as possible and its very rare he doesnt - cant see Sky changing that in the slightest...

Id say its the main reason, its not like Sky dont have other motorsport commentators to consider, perhaps read it as deciding factor why MBs been snapped up. I dont think theres another person in the field that gets the attention/queue-jumps MB does day in and day out - for the fact we are so used to it, just demonstrates how integral it is to the presenting format - just dont think other F1 TV products get anywhere near that - weve been quite lucky for a number of years...

Last edited:
Caporegime
There is still a different aspect to commentate for the radio as for the tv, its got nothing to do with what feed they are using , its more about how they descibe the action - some people (sounds like you included) enjoy having the pictures described for you while you are seeing it - as its mainly for radio listeners - while other viewers drives them up the wall :)

The issue with LegArd wasn't just that he was constantly describing what viewers could already see on the screen, but also that he often described it wrong, or over exaggerated non exciting points, or simply completely missed something going on off screen (pits, split times of chasing drivers, etc etc) to describe something mundane going on on-screen.

He got things wrong, but not in the likeable forgiveable way Murray Walker used to, but in a way that made him look completely incompetent.

I like to rate F1 commentators on the number of times I end up shouting at the screen when they are talking. With Leggard, it was a constant stream, with MB/DC I have rarely if ever got angry about their description of what is going on.

Man of Honour
What cartoon was it where you had two commentators, commentating about a boring football match. One was well boring, the other was really excited. Maybe Simpsons.

Anyway that's what Murray was, you let him get away with getting stuff Totaly wrong as he had such passion, emotion and excitement. Legged and others just get it wrong, there's none of that excitement.

Man of Honour
My opinion of Crofty and Brundle has gone way down. Still won't be subscribing to Sky just for this.

Still doesn't seem clear how this will work with the BBC, but it seems like such a waste that they are going to lose a pile of viewers after all they have built up.

Soldato
From Twitter...

MBrundleF1
Telegraph was wrong,I didn't sign £1m Sky contract today. Calmly working through it, will end up doing what satisfies me most professionally

CroftyF1
Lots of tweets today following the story in the Telegraph. Honestly folks I've nothing to tell you but thanks for the comments, all of them

Soldato
AFAIK MB does as many grid walks as possible and its very rare he doesnt - cant see Sky changing that in the slightest...

Id say its the main reason, its not like Sky dont have other motorsport commentators to consider, perhaps read it as deciding factor why MBs been snapped up. I dont think theres another person in the field that gets the attention/queue-jumps MB does day in and day out - for the fact we are so used to it, just demonstrates how integral it is to the presenting format - just dont think other F1 TV products get anywhere near that - weve been quite lucky for a number of years...

All I was saying was MB's grid walks wont be at every race - which it hasnt been this year, and I doubt that will change when he goes to Sky

fyi I dont believe I edited any sentiment out of my previous posts - MB has been clear on this issue ever since he took over the main commentary position (which I think is fair enough)

Capodecina
Soldato
Write to your local MP as well as to John Whittingdale and Don Foster

As a result of the large number of emails and letters on the subject of F1 coverage from next year received by the Commons culture, media and sport select committee, the BBC director general, Mark Thompson, is to face questions from MPs about the BBC's handling of its Formula One TV rights deal with BSkyB.

This meeting is due to take place in December so you have plenty of time to drop a line (or two, or three) to John Whittingdale MP and Don Foster MP ;)

Associate
As a result of the large number of emails and letters on the subject of F1 coverage from next year received by the Commons culture, media and sport select committee, the BBC director general, Mark Thompson, is to face questions from MPs about the BBC's handling of its Formula One TV rights deal with BSkyB.

This meeting is due to take place in December so you have plenty of time to drop a line (or two, or three) to John Whittingdale MP and Don Foster MP ;)

As much as I'd like to think this might change things, I doubt it will

Soldato
Of course it won't change anything. The problem is that there are large sums of money involved, MPs won't really be able to change anything. It is a done deal and if you want to view all races next year, SKY is your best bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom