BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
As a result of the large number of emails and letters on the subject of F1 coverage from next year received by the Commons culture, media and sport select committee, the BBC director general, Mark Thompson, is to face questions from MPs about the BBC's handling of its Formula One TV rights deal with BSkyB.

This meeting is due to take place in December so you have plenty of time to drop a line (or two, or three) to John Whittingdale MP and Don Foster MP ;)

It won't change anything - he will just explain that things were too expensive and the only way forward. I would still like to see him, Murdock and Burnie grilled over it though. F1 should always be available for free to view in this country, and whatever the crooks at the top say, 50% or so of the races does not qualify imo.

Associate
Yeah I noticed they wasted money keeping one bloody tennis event on BBC but were to cheap to keep hold of F1, I got half my family planning on comming round mine for the races now as I wouldn't let them shell out for sky sports as there on into any other sport.

Man of Honour
Yeah I noticed they wasted money keeping one bloody tennis event on BBC but were to cheap to keep hold of F1, I got half my family planning on comming round mine for the races now as I wouldn't let them shell out for sky sports as there on into any other sport.

In all fairness the costs to cover Wimbledon must pale in comparison to a season of F1.

Soldato

Tennis is way cheaper per viewer! And anyway, it's it a good thing that you've got half your family coming over on a Sunday afternoon? Sounds nicer than each of you sitting in your own house, in front of your on TV. Spending time with people is a good thing, not bad!

Associate
So, i wont be able to afford sky next year. Whats my best way to be able to watch it?
I know that theres a service called, footie online, i think, which streams loads of matches and stuff, will there be a service like this for F1 do you think? Hosted in some country where copyright isnt cared about lol

Going to be annoying either way

Caporegime
Id rather watch the BBC extended highlights of the 10 races they don't show rather than have to squint sat in front of my PC watching some poor quality feed.

Soldato
Ive said this to skeeter plenty of times now, Streaming services are really good now. Im subbed to flashsportsstream for the footie and its usually at least 1500 KBS stream for the sky channels. Dont get me wrong its not broadcast quality but its comparable to the BBC iplayer.

Dont need to sit infront of a computer screen and "squint" as most people will just stream it to there HDTV. I stream mine to our 47" TV and its perfectly watchable. Better than spending the £600 a year on sky imo

Soldato
LOL

we have a MASSIVE abondend sat dish in our flat roof thats been sitting there since we moved here (15 years?) It looks enormous and its rusty. We also have the original Amstrad box still , i kinda forgot about it and just hooked it up

Got RTL so winnnn! I think ill probably need a better box though where can i buy them? Also how does getting R5L over the top work? will i need a good DAB radio with speakers?

Associate
Heard some very troubling news from a very reliable source, the BBC will only be getting 4 live races, not 10, then there will be highlights shows only, not full races.

Caporegime
Heard some very troubling news from a very reliable source, the BBC will only be getting 4 live races, not 10, then there will be highlights shows only, not full races.

pretty much expected anyway no one will bother tuning in its just a massive waste of money...

atleast if they actually paid what they should have and shown every race the license payer would be getting half decent value for money rather than just peeing money down the drain on something no one is going to be watching on their channel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom