BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Yea, and Bernie realises what a shambles it was to go to Sky

Bernie wanted F1 to stay on terrestrial tv, he knows how important it is for formula 1 to be free to air.

I hope this is a huge fail for Sky and they make a massive loss.

Then it can return to the BBC.

BBC only have themselves to blame, they had a deal beyond this year but told Bernie they couldn't fulfil it after this year. This left Bernie having to sell the rights to someone else, Sky were opportunistic and took it within a couple days.

Caporegime
I'l be watching it on Sky but then I already have Sky Sports. Hopefully there'll be an Android app for Sky Go by then (all I've heard is 'Winter') so i can watch Qualy when out and about on a Saturday.

Caporegime
The only way that F1 would come back to the BBC is if they found more money, and while they remain non commercial and the government hold the freeze on license fees, that will never happen. The BBC agreed the initial deal to host F1 from 2009 at a time when license fees were set to continue increasing.

The BBC were between a rock and a hard place. Were lucky we still have any free to view F1.

Caporegime
I thought it was still going to be extra to watch it even for people who already had Sky sports?

Sky Go is free to all subscribers but you can only watch content in line with your main TV subscription. The iOS app doesn't have all the channels yet but that should change either later this year or early next year I was told. As I have Sky Sports on my subscription (and a 1GB data allowance on my mobile) I should be able to watch.

Associate
Will be "Gutted" if it goes from BBC !! There coverage if defo the best, Like previous posts post race gibbering is really informative and guaranteed to get a smile .... ITV was lets say .... Ad Break, Ad Break, Ad Break and always at the most stupid of times !!
Can't see Sky being any better other than the possability of having to add Sky Sports to an already expensive package !! Come on BBC we pay our TV Licence and We Want F1 on the BBC !!!!

Caporegime
Sky Sports, another Sky channel, and BBC....?

Surely that can't be right? Why would Sky broadcast it on 2 channels on there network, with a 3rd that there customers also get showing half the races too?

This has only confused things more, for the moment at least

Man of Honour
Sky Sports, another Sky channel, and BBC....?

Surely that can't be right? Why would Sky broadcast it on 2 channels on there network, with a 3rd that there customers also get showing half the races too?

This has only confused things more, for the moment at least

So they can make more money.
£10 just for f1 people will pay for. £30 a month for sky sports free view, many people won't pay.
Although yeah the second channel on their network sounds odd. Unless they copy the BBC forum after the races, possibly they'll do fp as well and a few other things?
Maybe bernies put the pressure on as well?

Let's hope it's true. Would have no issues paying ~£80 for the season.

Caporegime
But that's the point, surely Sky will want people who already have some Sky packages to add Sky Sports to get the F1, but this article suggests that it will also be on a free channel on Sky? Why would they sacrifice the chance for £20 a month Sports customers to in exchange for £10 a month Freeview customers?

I can't see it being on Sky Sports and another channel on Sky free. A freeview only F1 channel makes sense, although it means buying a card reader or new freeview box.

Associate
At least this way we get to see how many people really care about F1 in the UK, if it is enough, maybe BBC will make a better bid at the renewal time.

Soldato
I can't see it being on Sky Sports and another channel on Sky free. A freeview only F1 channel makes sense, although it means buying a card reader or new freeview box.

Why pay £10 a month and have to buy a new freeview box when you could just get sky or virgin and get sky 1,2,3 as well?

I think the commercial aim here is to expand their subscription base, that's what will bring long term growth and needless to say, help with their share price.

Much easier for somebody to add to their package once Sky is already in the front room.

Soldato
This sounds good to me. At only £10, it makes "alternative" means seem like a lot of hassle.

Not sure about Steve Rider though :p He's okay I suppose. Just always seem so cheerful all the time. Which can grate a bit at silly'o'clock in the morning for a fly away :D

I’m told that BBC presenter Jake Humphrey was approached to anchor Sky's F1 coverage, which he promptly snubbed in favour of staying with the BBC.
Silly boy? Does he really care about fronting the silly Olympics that much?

Last edited:
Caporegime
I suspect it will just be bundled in free with Sky Sport Collection customers rather be anything you can get free with a non-premium package.
At least this way we get to see how many people really care about F1 in the UK, if it is enough, maybe BBC will make a better bid at the renewal time.
A bid the majority of commercial channels could more than match, let alone wondering about Skys deep pockets. F1s gone for good until Sky decide its not profitable - just look at other sports as an indication...
I will never give sky nothing.
Ok, good for you ;)

ps3ud0 :cool:

Caporegime
But that's the point, surely Sky will want people who already have some Sky packages to add Sky Sports to get the F1, but this article suggests that it will also be on a free channel on Sky? Why would they sacrifice the chance for £20 a month Sports customers to in exchange for £10 a month Freeview customers?

if they do a free channel it will be adverts every 10-15mins ;)

people who would pay 20+ a month will do anyway.
people who wouldnt watch tons of adverts

Caporegime
Ah, good point. They have said that the Sky Sports 1/2 coverage will be ad free during the race.

I seriously doubt that will be carried over to the Freeview or free Sky channel too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom