BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Are there people that could actually stomach watching an F1 race with advert interruptions every ten minutes? I for one, will no longer be watching the sport.

Soldato
Are there people that could actually stomach watching an F1 race with advert interruptions every ten minutes? I for one, will no longer be watching the sport.

Did it with ITV, not every ten mins though but it was shocking, will be no ads on Sky anyway during the action.

Caporegime
I assume there will be an SD Sky Sports F1 channel for those with Sports 1/2 but on SD boxes? If so, my parents will be happy as they will now get it included.

Whats the cheapest Sky+HD package you can get?

Associate
Correct me if im wrong but doesnt this mean everyone on Virgin or who watch Sky using the freeview option wont be able to view any F1 at all apart from what the BBC are going to offer?

Caporegime
Yeah, £20 for the basic Sky Entertainment pack, plus £10.25 for the HD pack.

I wish Sky would just show me a big list of all the channels and which packs they are in :(. Anyone know if you need the Sports pack for MotorsTV and Eurosport?

Caporegime
Correct me if im wrong but doesnt this mean everyone on Virgin or who watch Sky using the freeview option wont be able to view any F1 at all apart from what the BBC are going to offer?
I see where you are going with that thought, occured to me aswell. Ive made the assumption that Sky will duplicate (to an extent) the content from the new F1 channel to Sky Sports...

If they dont they are reducing the potential audience drastically (more than half lost as a reserved estimate). VM will get it, but probably still in the throes of ironing out a deal - the news today no doubt has that purposeful bias to encourage Sky subs...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Caporegime
Haven't they confirmed there are no plans for Freeview, but there is no word on VM? I would assume the lack of confirmation on it not being on VM means exactly what ps3ud0 said, they are still sorting out the deal.

Edit: BBC not showing FP2 as there is some tennis match going on between 2 players I've never heard of... :(. Definitely going to get SkyHD now.

Last edited:
Associate
Why would they put content on SS1 and SS2 when they have there new channel for it which they are giving to everyone on Sky that has SS1 and SS2 anyway. Looks like the freeview people like myself will be out in the cold even though we have SS1 and SS2

Soldato
Haven't they confirmed there are no plans for Freeview, but there is no word on VM? I would assume the lack of confirmation on it not being on VM means exactly what ps3ud0 said, they are still sorting out the deal.

Edit: BBC not showing FP2 as there is some tennis match going on between 2 players I've never heard of... :(. Definitely going to get SkyHD now.

not heard of the world number one then, not much of a tennis fan.

you can watch it on line and from German TV on sport1, working really well here with online comentary over the top of German TV

Caporegime
Nope, not a tennis fan at all.

Not a football fan either, so the ability to get F1 on Sky without having to buy a billion hours of Football I don't want (Sky Sports 1/2) has swayed me.

Although, I do need to convince the missus that we should spend £35 a month on TV.... wish me luck...

Caporegime
Why would they put content on SS1 and SS2 when they have there new channel for it which they are giving to everyone on Sky that has SS1 and SS2 anyway. Looks like the freeview people like myself will be out in the cold even though we have SS1 and SS2
Because it would totally isolate all non-Sky/VM customers and considering how much they charge for Freeview SS it still makes a lot of sense to entice those people to pick up SS via Freeview irrelevant of this new F1 channel existing...

Basically since the deal was hatched with Bernie the actual possible (sub paying) audience has been considerable reduced by todays announcement. I very much doubt the traction to buy VM or Sky plus the Sky Sports channels has reduced since the original announcement and those are the customers that today have been most greatly affected.

Obviously I understand that audience numbers is not as important as value per customer to Sky, but reducing that potential market just means less absolute people actually paying for the service whichever way you like to cut it...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Caporegime
Watching it fine on Freesat;)

Less Red Button feeds on Freeview. Something else I will be glad to get rid off.

For anyone interested, the Entertainment Extra Pack plus the HD Pack from Sky will cost you £35.25 a month with £10 installation. This includes obviously the F1 HD channel, but also Eurosport 1 and 2 HD, and Motors TV, so almost all motorsport on Sky will be covered (I can only think of Speedway being shown on Sky Sports). F1, WRC, WTCC, V8 Supercars, GP2, Le Mans and the EWC, plus everything else I have so greatly missed over the last year.

Associate
Just read this on the BBC Website, and the reason for the contract change was to save money and yet this is a quote from the BBC

"The presentation team will be at all the races, including those that are not being broadcast live on BBC television. Full details of the team will be revealed at a later date."

So where are they saving money, if its only in the contract price itself, surely the money was budgetted for and ringfenced at the start of the contract.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom