BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
So where are they saving money, if its only in the contract price itself, surely the money was bdgetted for and ringfenced at the start of the contract.

even if it was ringfenced, its now massively cheaper and they get to put the money else. they also dont have to spend anywhere near the amount making content. I doubt they will do anything other than show the race.

Associate
Why would they go to the expense of sending the presentation team to every GP, and not make any porgrammes from it. They are still spending the same amount as last year in travel / hotels / wages (Maybe Less) / Satellite time. or am i missing something.

Soldato
Why would they go to the expense of sending the presentation team to every GP, and not make any porgrammes from it. They are still spending the same amount as last year in travel / hotels / wages (Maybe Less) / Satellite time. or am i missing something.

I'm guessing they are saving the money by not showing the race live, and therefore not having to pay the fees.

From a post waaaay back apparently the production fees were 10% of the FOM feed fees so *shrug*.

I can survive on 90/120 mins of coverage.

Soldato

Yeah the fee to Bernie :D

Soldato
Not a bad deal for the BBC that so they won't be showing Australia, Malaysia, Bahrain (might not happen anyway), Canada, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Japan, India and USA (which won't happen anyway)

I've got Sky Sports so doesn't bother me either way but imagine I'll probably watch the BBC/Sky dual races on the Beeb just cos of the adverts pre and post race. Depends on the grid walk if Brundle does it exclusively on Sky I'll probably watch that on there.

Soldato
Less Red Button feeds on Freeview. Something else I will be glad to get rid off.

For anyone interested, the Entertainment Extra Pack plus the HD Pack from Sky will cost you £35.25 a month with £10 installation. This includes obviously the F1 HD channel, but also Eurosport 1 and 2 HD, and Motors TV, so almost all motorsport on Sky will be covered (I can only think of Speedway being shown on Sky Sports). F1, WRC, WTCC, V8 Supercars, GP2, Le Mans and the EWC, plus everything else I have so greatly missed over the last year.

Indycar is the other major racing series to be carried by Sky Sports, plus they do a high light programmes for DTM and Nascar.

Associate
There's no way I'm forking out whatever it costs for Sky Sports (£30/month?) for the F1 as most of that money would goto paying for football (and overpaid players) as none of the other sports on SS1 & 2 have any interest to me at all.

Am I alone in loving motorsport but disliking Football?

No you're not alone. We're just a minority. I even got called a weirdo at work the other day by one of the girls because I'm "supposed to like football". Pah!

[edit]
just spotted in comments on the sky link that if you have Sky HD but no Sky Sports you'll still get the F1 channel. I'm VM, I hope this works for them too

Has this been confirmed? I have sky hd but no movies or sports, does this mean I'll be able to watch it all next year and in HD?

EDIT: someone else has just asked the same question on twitter and they confirmed it. Woohoo!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Why read the article when you can just ask a question on the forum??:rolleyes:

The F1 channel will be FREE if you have Sky+HD with the HD pack OR Sky Sports. If you do not have Sky Sports or the HD pack you will NOT be able to view without the HD subscription or Sky Sports. If you have Sky Sports on a non HD box then you will get the channel in SD.

If you do not have a HD capable box Sky will happily give you one and install it (or send it via courier if you currently have a Sky+ box) for free atm. You'll only get it for free if you take the HD subscription which is £10.25 per month though.

To some of the people posting, you don't need Sky Sports to have the F1 channel, you can only take the HD subscription which is £10.25 as opposed to the £20 extra Sky Sports costs.

Sky usually have an offer on Sky Sports for 3 months half price if you want it. New Customers get a free HD box, free standard install and the cheapest pack totals £30.25 per month in order to watch. Go through Quidco or Top cashback and the website and you can get some proper wedge AND £100 M&S Vouchers.

Last edited:
Associate
Sky phoned me recently and offered me HD for £5 a month for a year as I currently dont take the HD channels dispite having 2 HD boxes. I think i'll phone them back and see if the offer still stands :D Very good news that it'll only cost me a little extra to see F1 on sky instead of a lot!

Soldato
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tomcary/100021994/bbc-race-picks-disappoint-fans-but-aunties-hands-were-tied/

Sky will be sweating, too, particularly on the outcome of the Bahrain and Austin grands prix, both of which they have exclusively live. One or both of those could be dropped at the WMSC meeting in a couple of weeks.

2012 calendar currently has 20 races, take off the 10 live races on the BBC, leaves Sky with the other 10 live races. If the two races above don't happen then Sky might only be showing eight live races more than the BBC.

So at £30ish a month for just 8 races, it is just not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom