BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The boys gave MB a hard time on the forum.

I think it was Jake who said something like "don't you hate it when someone says they will do one thing and then does another", then EJ said (to MB) "Present company not accepted".

Can't remember the exact words but it was funny, and a little bit harsh.

Caporegime
The boys gave MB a hard time on the forum.

I think it was Jake who said something like "don't you hate it when someone says they will do one thing and then does another", then EJ said (to MB) "Present company not accepted".

Can't remember the exact words but it was funny, and a little bit harsh.

Which would suggest Brundle and the rest had a agreement on what they would do and he ran off to sky for the money.

That said Brundle and Croft at Sky is mighty tempting for next year.

Caporegime
Or, EJ wasn't offered a role by Sky and is bitter about it.

I can't imagine Sky didn't offer DC and MB a deal together, considering the good reviews they have had this year. It is a shame that Sky are taking the best bits of both the TV and Radio BBC lineups though. It doesn't leave them with any proven front men. But then, if Sky are going to make F1 great, they need to get the best talent they can.

Caporegime
I probably sound bitter, but I dont think MB will be that great a loss (though I still need to understand the details regards to what BBC will show and what theyll 'borrow' from Sky), actually found DC far more interesting in what comments he makes (if you ignore the RB bias) and actually far less awkward in front of the camera than MB still is. MB also seems to have started to miss stuff in commentary or make mistakes, which endeared old Murray Walker to us, but I suspect wont do the same for him; hes always been considered the expert so to make mistakes isnt a great trait...

Ill miss the grid walks if BBC dont have them, but love if they keep doing them especially if someone like EJ is involved, as bumbling as he is, he does ask far more awkward/probing questions Id like to be asked than the other presenters and really doesnt stand on ceremony. I cant see him not getting the same access as MB enjoys now when he shoves in front of other correspondents.

In an ideal world Id happily have Jake, EJ and DC fronting with MB and Crofty doing the commentary; but Id rather lose MB than gain someone like Steve Ryder fronting the show; hes still a complete vacuous waste of space on the ITV4 TOCA shows. The real value add to me is the stuff before and after the race which the BBC have already got down to a tee...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Caporegime
Im quite happy to admit that if they get someone like Leggard in and hes still useless, then Ill just give up the sport. Id rather do that than subscribe to Sky; Ive done it when the Prem went over so really have no bones to do it again. It will effectively just end up a year earlier than expected...

My loss but Im sure Ill cope - tastes change...

Caporegime
I thought he was rumoured to be signed to Sky?

I was always going to be getting Sky, but didn't really fancy getting Sports 1 and 2 just for F1 as I have no interest in Football. The F1 channel is actually a free addition to the package I was going to get.

Soldato
Wonder where Ted will go, quite like him and his post show blog video is great.

He's been removed from the BBCsport 'official f1' twitter group if it counts for anything.

I thought he was rumoured to be signed to Sky?

I was always going to be getting Sky, but didn't really fancy getting Sports 1 and 2 just for F1 as I have no interest in Football. The F1 channel is actually a free addition to the package I was going to get.

I think the F1 channel is a masterstroke idea from Sky to pull people into the system.

Caporegime
Davidson might get promoted I suppose.
See I dont get this, my personal viewpoint is that the best combination for commentary is an expert and someone else that fills the dead air/aids accessibility. So why do Sky have two 'dead air' guys or potentially the BBC with 2 experts (DC and AD)?

I know people will disagree regards MB not being the expert, but he hasnt been since the ITV days when he was teamed up with Murray or Leggard;
For the BBC DCs definitely the expert especially considering the number of times on-air MB has deferred to DCs opinion...

I just cant see those kind of combinations working

Soldato
I actually think that DC has developed into a fantastic commentator/presenter. The has come on leaps and bounds this year and is at the top of his game.

If Brundle wants to goto SKY, then it's no big loss. I don't begrudge Brundle leaving for SKY - every man has the right to change jobs, if it means a better salary, to support himself and his family.

I'd be happy if AD and DC were commentating for the BBC. Now Leggard...he was terrible.

Man of Honour
Very much doubt Davidson will partner Coulthard in the commentary box next year. He wouldn't be available for all the races as he's often away racing himself, besides they'd want a 'colour' commentator anyway.

Is there still not a chance that the BBC might be allowed to use the Sky commentary feed for the race?

Soldato
I thought in the previous announcements they said they would share commentators, but looks like that went out the window. Possibly though because of Brundle reneging on it.

Caporegime
I thought in the previous announcements they said they would share commentators, but looks like that went out the window. Possibly though because of Brundle reneging on it.

I think this is still the plan for the BBC highlights of the races they don't show live. They will get the Sky feed of the race with MB comentary and then edit it down.

For live races they will have to provide their own team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom