BBC Top Gear - Series 23 discussion thread

Soldato
Yeah its no patch on the Clarkson era... i'll still watch it in hope the presenters start to settle in and bond better, i'm not going to write it off on the strength of the first episode.

Early impressions.
Format - ok so they have stuck mainly to the old format with a few tweaks, not sure its going to fully work for anyone but the 3 wise men but lets give it a season before any drastic changes are made. hated the SIARPC section, however when it got down to the driving the new track and RX mini actually a lot better in my opinion.

presenters - Chris Evans, just plain awkward and cringeworthy. Matt LeBlanc, acvtually not that bad, very tolerable seems to have settled into the role a bit better.
the fleeting glimpse of Sabine... hmmm not sure, maybe just the bad scripting of that part but yeah didnt settle well with me, too awkward but i feel that feature and poor scripting didnt do her any good.

Associate
Verdict...6/10 just enough to make me watch again but only just!

Content: decent - yes they reused some TG staples but there were some changes and they were for the better e.g. the offroad lap bits

Chris Evans: loud & annoying....please stop shouting and acting like it's TGI Top Gear

Matt L: likeable, easy going manner, offset Evans to a degree and proved there's no need to shout (the main reason I didn't switch off)

Was never going to be a patch on the original but overall not quite as bad as I thought it might be...

Soldato
Top Gear extra is just better. They need to shuffle the presenters around to salvage the show I think. Either way Evans needs to go.

Caporegime
Just starting in on this...

Evans is OK talking to camera, but his voiceover is terrible.

Quite liked Sabine saying "The handling is terrible... Like a Ferrari." I can't help but feel her experience having driven about a billion cars at warp speed will be underused.

Associate
Evans is trying way to hard and is coming across a tool. I think they need to lay off the old gags, such as the rear-ending. It worked on old Top Gear due to the relationship between the guys. Just looked like mates ****ing around. Evans needs to bring a bit more originality into it instead of trying to be a cheap knock-off of the previous presenters. Quite impressed by LeBlanc to be honest. His vid (on his own without Evans) was pretty entertaining.

Extra is proving to be much more entertaining. Chris and Rory much more natural. Hope they get involved in the main show.

Soldato
Evans was horrendeous, constant shouting, desperate for a reaction from the audience and possibly one of the least funniest blokes on TV.

LeBlanc has the carisma of most Americans, none! His voice over almost put me to sleep, gonna start callin him Monotone Matt.

Sabine who would be far better as she has the know how and more charm than both of the above combined.

It was simply ****, i watched it for the sake of it but it was so forced and generally a poor production throughout.

Caporegime
Evans is an utter potato. Replace him and the show is saved.

Anyway the BBC not renewing Clarkson's contract means we get two high budget 'motoring' shows so it's a win/win for the viewer. Well it would be if Evans wasn't in one of them.

Soldato
Was a bit meh IMO. Basically just the same as before except with Clarkson and Hammond replaced with Evans and LeBlanc. I was bored with the format of the show before so I'm disappointed they've basically rehashed it for the new one.

The extra gear BBC3 show looks like it will be pretty good. Feels like Top Gear is the light entertainment fluff and Extra Gear will have the content actual car enthusiasts are interested in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/exxhn3/live/c29rbp

Why did they not put Chris Harris on the main show? He's way better presenter than Leblanc and Schmitt IMO!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom