BBC Top Gear - Series 23 discussion thread

Soldato
People just seem to have forgotten that top gear has been like this for years. Tired, scripted and predictable. The only reason I can feel any differently about this series is that I hoped for something different. Not the same regurgitated rubbish.

The change of presenters didn't make it crap, it was crap with the last 3 for years.

Soldato
Just watched the extra programme over breakfast, while I like Chris Harris and the general idea of bonus content, Rory and the syle of it remind me of a kids programme on CBBC.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
People just seem to have forgotten that top gear has been like this for years. Tired, scripted and predictable. The only reason I can feel any differently about this series is that I hoped for something different. Not the same regurgitated rubbish.

The change of presenters didn't make it crap, it was crap with the last 3 for years.

Many of us thoroughly enjoyed the last series right to the end.

Soldato
Yep, I enjoyed the old trio right to the end. Yeah it was scripted etc etc, but they just made it work. Sounds strange but they were like one of the lads, all had their different quirks. Evans isn't likeable, never has been! He's not a lads lad. Running about shouting everything, just puts the core audience off I'd imagine (seeing the comments everywhere!) Matt is completely Unknown in this role, I don't mind him so far.

Chris Harris is a known to likely the core audience or at least some and they need him on the main show imo.

It was a mess really.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Chris Evans was just awful. Awful, awful, awful.

The only bit i enjoyed was Matt's off road atom bit. It was actually quite funny.

They should get rid of Evans and just get Matt to do it yo be honest. Then i might continue watching it.

Soldato
Caught it on iPlayer, the best single word I can use to describe it is: Awkward.

Evans was vaguely tolerable on the voice-overs, but anything with him on-screen was pure cringe. Everyone else (Including the other Presenters) just looked like they didn't want to be there, there was zero chemistry and the audience genuinely looked to me like paid stooges, there was something unnatural about them.

The Studio scenes, wow, car-crash TV. Awful. The SIARC was always one of the weakest segments and they have managed to make it even worse somehow, the little yank guy just looked like he had been forced by some Contractual obligation to be there, he looked completely confused and un-easy.

Evans needs to walk away for it to stand any chance of it not haemorrhaging viewers, hopefully it will be the end of his 'Celebrity' career and also the Execs who choose ***** like Evans as 'Talent'.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;29560082 said:
Many of us thoroughly enjoyed the last series right to the end.

I certainly did. It was often a bit predictable but always entertaining.

Last night was like Clarskon's TG, but with all the entertainment surgically removed. Trying to clone the Clarkson format and style is a big mistake IMO, they should have made a fresh start and let everyone play to their own strengths rather than trying to emulate the previous hosts.

Soldato
Yep, I enjoyed the old trio right to the end. Yeah it was scripted etc etc, but they just made it work. Sounds strange but they were like one of the lads, all had their different quirks.

Exactly. The dynamics of the old trio will be impossible to match, their balance of predictability and unpredictibility was perfect. Can't imagine Evans having an argument or a disagreement with LeBlanc, firstly LeBlanc is just too alpha compared to Evans. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the BBC have misunderstood that most people watched Top Gear mainly for Clarkson, Hammond, and May. They could have a show completely unrelated to cars and it would still get millions of viewers. Taking what was left of TG without them was always going to fail.

Soldato
Evans was vaguely tolerable on the voice-overs, but anything with him on-screen was pure cringe. Everyone else (Including the other Presenters) just looked like they didn't want to be there.

The Studio scenes, wow, car-crash TV. Awful

This for me, the filming/editing was as fantastic as usual but everything else (considering it was the relaunch) just felt a bit Meh and I couldn't stand Chris during the Studio sections, utterly cringe worthy. Matt has an extremely unexcitable voice which doesn't blend well with the footage.

However, it'll be interesting when there's more of the other presenters and less Matt/Chris.

Soldato
I think I can sum it up as "ok". Like others I expected it to be a bit more original and not a carbon copy, even down to the way Stig was introduced!
I don't mind Evans tbh but Leblanc was the surprise as I really enjoyed his style.
Need to watch the extra bit now for a bit of Harris.

I have a feeling that it's a bit cool to hate the new show atm and people will claim it's horrific etc...they'll be watching next week ;)

Associate
Well, that was fairly abysmal. I find Chris Evans to be inherently unlikable, the exchanges between he and LeBlanc were cringe inducing and the format just feels tired. You just don't get the sense these people are truly interested in cars (and yes, I know Evans has a huge collection of Ferraris).

As much as I recognise the necessity that Clarkson had to go for his indiscretion, I can't help but feel a sense of schadenfreude on watching this rubbish.

Chris Harris in a sort of higher budget version of what he does on his YouTube channel would be a much better proposition.

Soldato
Just watched it on iplayer.

Generally, it's somewhat watchable but won't ever be a scratch on the previous presenters version. It's what I imagine TG to be like if Hammond was the lead presenter after 19 cans of red bull, May alongside and Clarkson in the background. Some bits were funny but they're trying to imitate the 'old' TG too much. The car bumps, the 'some say' Stig thing.. Chris Evans isn't right for it. I liked TGI Friday but that was its own unique show, not a spin off or copy of anything else.

Can't see it lasting.

Soldato
Iplayered it and honestly, it was poor.

Evans is irritating as hell, Matt was OK though. The content itself was just boring. I know the majority of people will disagree with me here but even with the trio Top Gear was starting to get quite stale and had gone a bit to silly. This should have been a chance to do something fresh and new but it came across as some sort of TG parody.

Back
Top Bottom