BBC Top Gear - Series 23 discussion thread

Soldato
Crikey, look at all the hate.

Not seen it yet but I'm looking forwards to see what all the fuss is about.
Luckily (if it's as bad as you all say) my watching method won't count towards the viewing figures ;)

But hey, I'm willing to give it an episode or two to find it's stride, or even check back if it gets a season 2 to see what lessons they learned.

Soldato
I ****ing detest Evans, always have always will. There's something not right about a bloke who has to pay people to be his friends and who can't talk without shouting and trying to make out that everything he says is funny, when 99% of the time it just isn't.

Is it wrong of me to hope that the ginger ****wit pulls 'a Hammond' and has to be replaced full-time by LeBlanc, who seems to be a decent chap with a dry sense of humour (for a colonial).

Soldato
I skimmed through it on iplayer. Was terrible, chris was well chris, he is horrid imo as i just cant stand him. Matt was.. well.. a bit boring, he just seems to be there because they paid him a lot he had no fun or excitement about him which maybe bad to compare but like he was in friends. I know hes older and its more of a live'ish show compared to a show like he is normally in, but he was a lot better in that show called Episodes than he was in this.

Reliant robins going to blackpool was terrible and boring.

The pulling the robins up to a bank with the strong man etc was a bit better.

Rest was meh.

Totally crap to watch without clarkson and co.

The only guy i can think of that might have been as cocky as clarkson is stephen fry but no idea if he is into cars etc like clarkson but he certainly would have had his wit and jokes i would have thought. Tho maybe a earlier fry i am thinking of. Ah well whatever it doesnt matter now they cast it then killed it off i think.

Last edited:
Underboss
I found it very wooden, Evans voice was annoying in every voice over/segment.

Le Blanc was good in the movies but when it came to the studio the forced enthusiasm was a huge let down from them both. The Top Gun bit was terrible, the scripting was obvious and badly done.

They didn't need to include the cheap shots about the old show/hosts.

IMO they should have changed the whole style of the show, not carried on with the old version with a few different bits. It might improve but I'm not hopeful.

Man of Honour
Evans needs a voice and head transplant, that shrill voice and those glasses are vomit inducing. LeBlanc has as much charisma as a roadside bomb going off on the way to the supermarket. The celebrity guests would have been better off being interviewed by a teleprompter. May be Evans should be replaced by a teleprompter.

I thought they tried too much at being their predecessors. A name change to TFI Motors would give the show a new sense of direction. Will I be back, not sure.

Man of Honour
Evans needs a voice and head transplant, that shrill voice and those glasses are vomit inducing. LeBlanc has as much charisma as a roadside bomb going off on the way to the supermarket. The celebrity guests would have been better off being interviewed by a teleprompter. May be Evans should be replaced by a teleprompter.

I thought they tried too much at being their predecessors. A name change to TFI Motors would give the show a new sense of direction. Will I be back, not sure.

To end it all the BBC even managed to overrun into their other flagship of the night, Wallander so I'll never know the result of that race up the mountain, not that I care very much. :p

Commissario
Although I switched off after fifteen minutes, I did revisit it for a quick skim through.

Handful of points.

Why does Chris Evans feel the need to SHOUT all the way through?

The audience looked awkward, the laughter seemed forced and fake.

Evans screaming "we got custody" about The Stig was totally cringeworthy.

Did they re-write all the lap times just to get rid of Clarkson's handwriting?

I gave it a second chance, it won't get a third.

Associate
I love top gear and like Chris Evans but thought it was really bad.

3 wheeled cars - done before by Clarkson much better when he kept rolling it.

Chasing and being locked on.....tooo rehursed and dont before whitch clarkson and the army / police chase.

4x4 - WTF was that tug of war and a 40 - 48 mph race.

Driving through the desert.....yawn

Shame

Soldato
It's Harris I feel for. We already know he is great at reviewing cars - and speaking in general for that matter.

I stopped watching halfway through. The whole show just felt flawed. I really hope it improves for C Harris' sake as I really like him...... No homo

That is what it reminded me of. TFI.... All they've done is replace the music with cars. And shoehorned a group of presenters into the thing.

Soldato
Really disappointed, wasn't terrible but they had the opportunity to do something new but it was just Evans doing a Clarkson impression. Will probably still watch it as it might improve and there's nothing else on telly on Sunday nights that's worth watching

Caporegime
Oh god Evans on extra gear is reminding how awful he was last night. He's terrible.

Never seen Chris Harris stuff before but his Nomad piece was better and he should be on the main show.

Associate
Shouty Evans was horrendous, everything is shouted in CAPITAL LETTERS. So frustrating to watch. I hope things improve with different presenters. And that in future episodes they don't keep trying to get one over on the old cast, things such as the catering comment, and how 'we got custody of the Stig' just seemed stupid.

I also wondered will the American screening be the same or will things like the Reliant challenge be setup so the British one breaks down, etc.

Soldato
Evans was terrible! Quite liked LeBlanc though, I think he'll get better as the show goes on. I really don't understand though why they didn't try a new format for this show rather than mimicking the old one, which had started getting repetitive even with the old crew.

Soldato
My thoughts are that it wasn't that good, but hopefully they'll make some changes as time goes on and make it by their own. I don't think it was terrible, just lacking polish. I don't want "hilarious" staged accidents etc, so I'm hoping they focus more on the cars and move away from the old format, which is what thryxdaid they wanted to do.

I got sick of the same old same old with the new top gear. When the challenges were more believable earlier on, it was much better IMO - cheap Italian sportscar etc

Soldato
Don't like Chris Evans' voice, it's like he's shouting everything or something.

Literally paused it at 13 minutes and came here to post exactly that haha.

I don't know what kind of character Chris Evans is trying to play, but whatever it is it just looks like he's trying too hard. I think he's trying to emulate Clarkson's naturally deep groany voice by shouting all the time and he's failing spectacularly. And then at the same time he's trying to emulate Hammond with his giddy mannerisms and also failing miserably. I don't even know why he's on there? I heard he owns some rare Ferraris but has he ever driven a car faster than 30mph without getting nicked?

Matt seems most "natural" so far, he seems to get the idea but he's not compatible with Evans.

I will now continue watching...

Last edited:
Associate
Without looking at the previous series with rose tinted glasses, I thought it was just ok. There have definately been better episodes before and there have been worse as well (The one where the boys make an electric car springs to mind)

The car segments were usual Top Gear stuff and I think both presenters came off better there than in the studio (The Nomad did look fun).

The Studio bits felt a bit stilted which could be down to nerves (No idea if Matt LeBlanc has done live presenting before). Chris Evans needs to calm down (plus stop shouting) and Matt LeBlanc needs to relax before the next episode.

I will carry on watching and I think Matt LeBlanc has the potential to be quite good on the programme once he settles in. Chris Evans on the other hand is unlikely to change his style as thats the way he presents most things I have seen him in.

Back
Top Bottom