BBC Top Gear - Series 23 discussion thread

Associate
I'll echo what a few people have said... Expected more originality. Never liked Evans and don't like him here either. Everything he did seemed forced, scripted and awkward. Some people have good voice over voices, but he doesn't.

I like Le Blanc, enjoyed him in Episodes and he seems interested in cars, so he's a big plus for the episode.

They have to start somewhere so I won't write it off yet, but that could have gone a lot better.

Soldato
The whole "American" theme for him is annoying. We know he is. Do we need it rammed down our throats with flags, "you British do this.."

Swap them two with Rory and Chris Harris.

Soldato
Don't mean to sound racist or anything, but why is that black guy doing on the extra show? He sounds so awkward and completely fake. There was not a single point during the entire thing where I felt he was genuinely being expressive or had any actual interest in what he was doing. The guy was blatantly reading off a script and basically spoke with the same expression on his face, the whole way through. Despite Chris Harris being a bit of **** for giving up on his youtube channel for this crap, I actually felt sorry for him as he seemed so out of place. I genuinely felt uncomfortable watching him try to play along with this fool and could only bare watching the part where he drove the nomad. They should have just let him do the whole thing himself. Just himself some cars and camera's.

As for the main show, pretty much the same thing, but here I was feeling sorry for Matt Leblanc and Sabine. Never had an opinion on Chris Evans, but I certainly do right now. What a massive ****.

Clarkson and company must be dying with laughter at this train wreck.

Man of Honour
Watched it Didn't like it although Matt LB helped save it to some extent. I'll reserve further judgement until the second episode.

Caporegime
Seriously need to push Evans into the background - LeBlanc and some of the others were a lot better than I expected - LeBlanc pretty much saved the episode.

I'm inclined to agree, LeBlanc is a bit different which is what they need, his presenting wasn't as slick as it could have been in places but he's a well liked actor, big car fan and is distinct enough from the previous 3.

Evans is the BBC execs trying to stick with a 'known' presenter, presumably seen as someone not too risky who can handle a big show... except he was still just being a bit of a poor Clarkson in places.

should have had LeBlanc go to Top Gun tbh...

Soldato
I honestly didn't mind it. Chris' narration was fine but his studio presenting was lame. Matt all around I thought was good. The "scriptness" was very obvious and very naff.

Starting Extra Gear now and before the intro these 2 guys look so natural, not like they are performing from a script.

Man of Honour
Top Gear Young Adult version, I think. Maybe if I was 16 I'd like it more.

Clarkson/Hammond/May Top Gear was childish, but it was also middle-aged. Some friends having a laugh. This version seemed "yoof" and doesn't sit right with me. Probably because I'm middle-aged. The new track is a good idea, though, and the program will probably get better as the presenters gel.

Over on Extra Gear...and I'm thinking that Chris Harris and Sabine Schmitz should be the main presenters. I'm also jealous of her house. But not her pig.

Caporegime
I think Chris Evans should have been cast for fifth gear rather than top gear... His voice matches the monotone of fifth gear and would go well next to tiff and vickies. :(

Back
Top Bottom