BBC Top Gear - Series 23 discussion thread

Soldato
I know very little about Chris Evans. He doesn't suit this role at all. Matt is funny and would settle nicely into the role but Chris is just awful for this.

Soldato
Watched it again just for see if it gets better after an initial viewing - Nope - although Matt feels less wooden 2nd time around (he was quite good in the Nomad section) but his live studio sections could be better. Evans however just gets worse, his voice over during the challenges were "OK" at best but the studio section was truly awful with all the whooping and shouting like someone desperately trying to get a bit of excitement back but over doing it and annoying everyone.

I'll not be watching next week, I'll just let the show die away.

Soldato
For me, although Top Gear became more a car based entertainment show, the fact that the trio were car savvy journalists still came through.

Matt and Chris just sound like blokes who happen to be rich and like, and are able, to buy expensive cars, not true petrol heads.

Someone called it when they talked about the lap commentary, it sounded like your average woman talking about football (if that's not too sexist a thing to say) when they've never ever kicked a ball in their life.

I also like the description above likening it to a cover band.

If they were going to change the celebrity bit, rather than the rally cross, maybe use Sabine more for that segment. Maybe have a selection of cars to account for the different ability of the celebs and they have to try and get within 125% of her time on the day (or whatever is appropriately challenging).

Soldato
Caught it from about half way through the interview with Gordon and Jessie.

Thought Matt LeBlanc was ok, it was like he was reading and acting out a script meant for Clarkson with the off road car test (e.g doing donuts then getting a face full of dust and ending with a blunt 'its dusty' or something along those lines). I could see myself enjoying watching him once he eases into the role and makes it a bit more natural.

Chris Evans, always disliked him and thought he was awful.

Will be interesting to see the viewing figures for episode 2 considering episode 1 had a figure below what Chris Evans said he would be disappointed with.

Soldato
and they have to try and get within 125% of her time on the day (or whatever is appropriately challenging).

I thought the idea on old TG with the Stig in a police car chasing the presenter driving a van and they had to see how long they could escape for before being overtaken was a good idea for the "new" SIARPC" section, but the motorcross just looks a bit cack.

Man of Honour
Love how he thinks it's a success because it had high viewing figures. Course it did, people were interested to see how it would work compared to the last lot. I haven't read anything that suggests people enjoyed it though

Soldato
Not sure whether his figures for saying this episode had 12% more viewing share than the last are accurate but viewing figures for last season:-

Patagonia Special P1 7.21M
Patagonia Special P2 7.38M
S22 E1 6.41M
S22 E2 6.56M
S22 E3 6.14M

etc...

Soldato
Stopped watching 15 mins in, cannot stand the shouting from Chris Evans and his blatant style of trying to copy Clarkson.

If the whole show was done by Chris Harris it might actually be worth watching!

TS7

TS7

Soldato
It is bit odd that Chris Harris has been relegated to the online only sister show. Yeah granted he is not the most known figure, but neither were Hammond or May when they started. Harris has also proved himself online with car reviews etc and has a good following. Even with LeBlanc and Evans he should be the third member of the team.

Caporegime
Tried to watch it, Evans trying to mimic Clarkson's intro style made me want to turn it off before the titles had even finished, I then skipped through the rest of the episode watching about 5 seconds here and there, and closed the tab.

Truly truly awful, a total embarrassment.

Soldato
My dad (in the black Mercedes Sprinter) made the cut at around 17 minutes in.. :)

ygHmEm3h.jpg.png

He was pretty chuffed when I told him he'd made it into Top Gear, although ironically he's not that fussed about the show (new or old).

He told me he'd remembered seeing "those two prats, I thought that they were enthusiasts filming something for YouTube".

Guess he wasn't far wrong.

Back
Top Bottom