BBC Top Gear - Series 23 discussion thread

Caporegime
It is bit odd that Chris Harris has been relegated to the online only sister show. Yeah granted he is not the most known figure, but neither were Hammond or May when they started. Harris has also proved himself online with car reviews etc and has a good following. Even with LeBlanc and Evans he should be the third member of the team.

Putting a genuine car enthusiast who is also a competent journalist and broadcaster on Top Gear would be something they haven't done since.... Er.....?

Soldato
Just watched Extra Gear and thought it was far more entertaining than the actual show…

I'll probably watch E2 to give it a second chance, but I really can't stand Chris Evans.

Roll on TGT in the Autumn.

Soldato
wtf are you talking about. everyone said they would give it a try.

No they really didn't. Nearly every post I saw on news sites and social media said they wernt interested. Personally i thought they were talking rubbish and everyone would watch the first one just to see what it's like. Well see how the viewing figures progress throughout the year.

Man of Honour
Chris harris should be bumped and do proper reviews of super cars/rare cars on the main show. this would also help differentiate it, not saying get rid of all the fun. but at least the super car reviews would be very different and Harris already has his own style.

I cant see how chris evans could ever be good, so sack him.

MLB there were points where I thought there where glimpses that he could be good. All in the Atom segment (which was the only bit which wasn't totally dreadful).

sabine was essentially not in there, and imo you need at least three full time presenters for the traveling segments.

the scripting was terrible and I think that's mainly down to them not wanting to copy but at the same time don't know what else to write. Because they haven't been together they haven't got there own "in" jokes.

Should have had a budget just to put the presenters in some random banger rallies so they could form some sort of friendship and writers could write better tailored scripts for them. before filming the main show.

Caporegime
For me, although Top Gear became more a car based entertainment show, the fact that the trio were car savvy journalists still came through.

That's why they'd be better having Chris Harris and Rory Reid at the helm... People with actual car journalism pedigree. The only problem is that 90% of people have never heard of Harris and 99% of people have never heard of Reid.

Associate
I have just watched this on catch up, very disappointed, same old format as Clarksons lot.
The new presenters just do not gel.
And Chris Evens has as much personalty as a dead hedgehog.

Associate
Just watched Extra Gear and enjoyed it far more than the Top Gear episode. It just felt much more natural and happy doing its own thing, rather than copying the Clarkson et al show and struggling to make it work.

I'd be happy for Reid and Harris to replace Le Blanc and Evans for the main show and make it their own.

Soldato
I don't dislike it. I don't like it either.

Chris Evans is trying far too hard in the studio segments. It comes across as forced and silly and totally unnatural. If the content is good enough you don't need to shout and wave your arms around, it'll pretty much speak for itself.

MLB is a lot better. He doesn't seem to do enthusiasm so well but he's funny and entertaining. The highlight of the main show for me.

Sabine is an odd one, I don't know what it is but she looks... uncomfortable. Also I wonder how much of a part she will actually play given that her racing team come first over the show. Time will tell I guess.

I like Extra Gear and Chris Harris is brilliant, I love how blunt he is and just straight up honest. RR i'm going to give time to, but he can certainly present better than Evans can.

Overall i'll keep watching but i'm not optimistic it has enough to keep the viewing figures from falling away over time.

Man of Honour
That's why they'd be better having Chris Harris and Rory Reid at the helm... People with actual car journalism pedigree. The only problem is that 90% of people have never heard of Harris and 99% of people have never heard of Reid.

keep mlb,with those two I think he would be ok.
but as well as presenter change, they need to make it there own. just having chris harris would help. proper super car reviews. would make it different fro the old one.

Soldato
If the content is good enough you don't need to shout and wave your arms around, it'll pretty much speak for itself.

Exactly. Evans just doesn't seem to have a clue about TV, does he think it's Cbeebies or something? It just comes across as patronizing to the audience.

At least Matt is naturally cool and has awareness of how he's coming across on screen, Evans doesn't even seem to be aware of how loud he's screaming half the time it's almost comedic lmao.

Soldato
I'm not totally convinced, it might take a little time to find its groove but wasn't feeling the first episode.

Might just leave it as something to flick through when I've got nothing else on.

Soldato
I thought the idea on old TG with the Stig in a police car chasing the presenter driving a van and they had to see how long they could escape for before being overtaken was a good idea for the "new" SIARPC" section, but the motorcross just looks a bit cack.

Yeah, that's a better idea than mine!

How long can you keep ahead of Sabine so you could have a leader board of sorts. It still doesn't take the conditions out the equation so you get the old problem of just having "Wet" after the lesser times but still it's a good twist on the old concept.

Soldato
keep mlb,with those two I think he would be ok.
but as well as presenter change, they need to make it there own. just having chris harris would help. proper super car reviews. would make it different fro the old one.

I quite liked the premise of an American being a bit WTF about Britishness and the competition, it wasn't necessarily well done, but it has a certain promise.

SMN

SMN

Soldato
The show was absolutely crap. Evans is the worst presenter ever; someone needs to tell him he was presenting TG and not TFI Friday.

I won't be watching it again.

Couldnt agree more. Every time he's on TV I get a migraine from the way he talks, nay 'shouts'. He is woeful and I'm with a few others, I tuned in for curiosity but count me out next weekend.

Back
Top Bottom