BBC Top Gear - Series 23 discussion thread

Soldato
Evans was loud and annoying, everyone knew he would be

Le Blanc was ok, and could grow into the role

Not enough of Sabine to make an opinion, however she was a character in the old series

My main frustration, aside from Evans, is last night just showed how tired the series was, its almost like Sir Alex dragging Man U to the title, the 3 of them made bad TV watchable, without them the flaws are there to see.

They needed to change it up, like for like was always going to be a bad idea.

I'll give it 1-2 more goes, but I don't hold out hope, I was moving away from what top gear was to be honest, I need a sensible car show now, not just sillyness

Soldato
I agree with all this. Top gear should have gone back to basics, with more car reviews, albeit with a twist if nessisary. The stunts etc in old top gear had started to ware thin because it was all stunts and it didn't feel special any more.

New top gear could/should have rewound the clock a decade, not tried so hard for a few episodes, then slowly built the show it their own direction.

This. I hope that's the direction it moves towards. Maybe not the boring reviews of a Fiat Punto 1.1 SX etc, but the viper scene for example could have done without the chase sequence. The challenges would benefit from being more realistic IMO and eg buy a car with £X and have a race, speed test etc. I wasn't particularly interested in the buggy bit, but then I didn't enjoy those bits in the old top gear - racing a climber up a mountain, bobsled down a hill etc.

TBH what I want is probably not what the BBC want, as it won't appeal to the wider audience.

Man of Honour
Surprised at how good Matt LeBlanc is, no need for Evans.

With a little more experience in the role under his belt I think he would be the perfect combination of the spirit of old top gear while presenting something a little different/new perspective without going to either the lengths of something totally new and different or aping the old presenters.

Evans was alright when tying the bits together but the rest of the time weak and annoying - should take more of a backseat/production role in it and let others present.

Caporegime
https://twitter.com/achrisevans/status/737279594311602176

He thinks it's series 1 episode 23? Poor Evans doesn't have a clue about TV, Matt needs to whack him over the head with a radio.

Apart from the fact he has made millions upon millions from TV. Evans has a great understanding of TV but can not present to save his life. It's the same scenario as rich pay drivers. They have the money but lack the Talent. The BBC should have never got celebrities but instead got real motor journalists like on the bbc3 segment.

Soldato
The show is salvageable, they need to put Evans in a production role as others have suggested and have Harris as the front man of the presenters. They need to move on from the formula that worked with the trio and come up with something new that works for them, getting back to basics and moving forward from there.

Soldato
It comes to something when the extra show is better than the main. Not a fan of Chris Evans and this did nothing to change my opinion. Matt LeBlanc was better than I expected and I can see him growing in to the role more and Sabine wasn't really in it long enough to judge.

Soldato
They could have improved the challenge segment by Matt Leblanc saying, "How you doin'?" when the drag queen got into the Jeep.

I thought it was a bit 'meh'. I like Chris Evans but he did come across as trying too hard and I think he'd be better behind the scenes with someone else fronting the show itself. I though Matt was decent and I also liked the Extra Gear show, though I started watching it with a prejudiced mindset expecting to find it dull.

Soldato
All the negatives of the old show with none of the positive points in my eyes.

Matt was likeable and very nearly there but not quite. Evans... just go away already.

J.T

J.T

Soldato
Thought it was "OK" to "Terrible" in places.

Can't stand Evens Smugness, he is so full of himself it's sickening! and like everyone else has said why the hell does he feel the need to shout every word!

Matt was ok but again as others have pointed out he doesn't have much in the way of a personality, not sure if that was just nerves or him being himself!

Really didn't like the change to Star in a reasonably priced car at all and what was with re-writing all the power lap times, childish!

Don't hold out much hope for improvement but I will give it at least another episode... :(

Soldato
OK - original suggestion ? having just scanned through on Iplayer, should they have broadcast Extra Gear and confined the broadcast programme to the dustbin ... the interview with Sabine was the best part ?

Back
Top Bottom