BBC Top Gear - Series 23 discussion thread

Soldato
And another.

Fundamentally the show was the old TG down to a tee just with different presenters.
So just as the Mrs went off to bed, I decided to start watching it. And yes, Evans did appear to be "shouting", but I think it is more to do with the acoustics of the studio.

The Mrs doesn't normally watch TG and hasn't for a very long time, and I quote, she said, "Well it just goes to show that the other guys weren't actually that funny, as it is obvious that it was all just scripted, because this is just the same.".

I laughed in her face and then read her the post from this thread... Pretty much the same.. basically the show is the same, just different presenters, but doing the same old joke and same old commentary, just delivered slightly differently, possibly more annoying, but then that is just how Evans is... marmite.

Credit to the writers then really.

Soldato
So just as the Mrs went off to bed, I decided to start watching it. And yes, Evans did appear to be "shouting", but I think it is more to do with the acoustics of the studio.

The Mrs doesn't normally watch TG and hasn't for a very long time, and I quote, she said, "Well it just goes to show that the other guys weren't actually that funny, as it is obvious that it was all just scripted, because this is just the same.".

I laughed in her face and then read her the post from this thread... Pretty much the same.. basically the show is the same, just different presenters, but doing the same old joke and same old commentary, just delivered slightly differently, possibly more annoying, but then that is just how Evans is... marmite.

Credit to the writers then really.

This is the thing, people overlook the fact that Top Gear has been crap for ages. The show should have been relaunched with a fresh new format and some young talented presenters. The whole thing is getting stale. I was surprised Chris Harris didnt even get a look in with the main show, thats a big mistake.

Caporegime
I came in with an open mind

Shame, the show is dreadful....

Chris evans trying to get the crowd to go "WHOOP" every time the mini went through the water was absolutely tragic,

Acting like a tool when a crowd of people are drinking on TFI allows peoples inhibitions to drop,

But Grown men interested in cars in the studio going "whoop" when a car with a Z list celeb in goes through a bit of water is just well Naff :p

Soldato
I would argue the last series of TG with C, H & M was actually the best one for a while and they'd suddenly started making more effort again... then he decied to punch someone and killed it lol.

This new TG will get 2 million veiwers at best on Sunday as I for one, won't bother watching it. Whether the format is tired before this new series is up for discussion, however the fact is that this new show was loud, badly scripted, badly presented and the one thing it can't be BORING! I believe the saviour of this is...

Eddie Izzard, Ross Noble and Guy Martin lmfao.

Caporegime
When Jeremy was in that robin reliant and tipping over all the time i was in tears.

This time in the reliants, i barely even smiled.

Jeremy is a funny man, Evans is not and the BBC aren't going to suddenly be able to make him so.

Soldato
This is the thing, people overlook the fact that Top Gear has been crap for ages. The show should have been relaunched with a fresh new format and some young talented presenters. The whole thing is getting stale. I was surprised Chris Harris didnt even get a look in with the main show, thats a big mistake.

Harris and RR are in the main show from ep 3 onwards.

Soldato
I thought this episode was fine too. If Chris Evans had just been boring, we would have all been complaining about how dull he was, so he was acting up to ensure he wasn't boring. OK, maybe he's a little over the top, but it was the first episode so he's just testing the waters. No doubt he'll improve as time goes on!

I wasn't sure about the Reliant and that stuff, but not all Top Gear's segments are always enjoyable.

Soldato
Google 'BBC Diversity Charter'

You're missing the point completely, it was the FACT Clarkson, Hammond and May were NOT diverse or politically correct enough for the BBC. It was however a formula which actually worked, or are you going to say I'm making it up how popular Clarkson, Hammond and May were too? :D

Also don't call me a Racist, I am an equal opportunities misanthrope, I hate everyone all exactly the same.

Crap. Clarkson was fired because he assaulted a minion. Just like you'd be fired at work.

The BBC had turned a blind-eye to Clarkson's ****-wittery for years, but they could not turn a blind eye to him punching someone because he couldn't have a steak.

Clarkson, May and Hammond are still on the BEEB presenting TG today if he doesn't throw that punch. It's nothing to do with PC or diversity, it's because Clarkson is an entitled, arrogant, violent twit.

FACT.

Soldato
I finally watched it, and thought it could have legs IF Evans tones it down a bit. Too much shouting and over the top "wow!" stuff. MLB is actually a good fit and once he finds his groove I think will be good. They just need to get rid of Evans or at least tell him this isn't the big breakfast

Associate
Just watched the first episode.

I am a proper BBC cynic and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised.

They didn't mess with the formula, they simply found people that they believe will generate a similar synergy as the previous presenters at their best. I think based on the first episode they may have chosen well (which is my biggest surprise).

The scripting was noticeably dialed down, look how flat the trip to Black Pool was, it was practically deadbeat. There's a surprising amount of cheeky elements/references which I thought would absolutely have been stamped out under the new management.

Went into it with a "car crash tv" mindset, found it fun throw away entertainment (so spot on). Proof is always going to be in their first special.

Soldato
Watched some of it and thought the same as most to be honest. It's alright. Whenever Matt was narrating though it felt like I was watching some American movie.

Caporegime
Watched it again on iplayer tonight whilst waiting to unload, maybe the small screen on my phone hid the Ginger idiot Evans more effectively but I again enjoyed it for what it is, low brow entertainment with a car theme, I'm sure tonights episode will be more of the same, much as the old crews shows were, again, its the same show just with new presenters, nothing else has really changed its still got all the issues of the old show, I hope they revamp it but think they'd have done so from the off were that the objective.

Back
Top Bottom