BBC Top Gear - Series 23 discussion thread

Soldato
I haven't watched it yet but I do find it funny that everyone was complaining that Chris Evans was just shouting all the way through. My girlfriend listens to R2 in the mornings and I cringe every time he's on. There's no way anyone can be that happy, hyper and annoying at that time of the morning without some nefarious cocktail of drugs. He does my head in.

I'll give it a whirl though, and I'll try the Amazon show. But at the end of the day I'm treating TG as just a decent series that reached it's end. Like The West Wing, or Lost or something.

Soldato
I haven't watched it so won't judge it. But I will never watch it while Evans is on it, even if it does end up being amazing. Can't stand the man.

Man of Honour
So you've managed to form an opinion by watching the first five minutes of an hour long show? Bravo.

First impressions count!
Also to be fair it's not like he's said it's ****, the end to that sentence may have been "and turned it off. Due to his Clarkson impression giving me the horn and I couldn't continue to watch it around the family" :p

Man of Honour
I think they should have changed direction and gone the serious car show route. TG once used to be serious of course but was still entertaining. The new show is just trying to copy Clarkson, Hammond and May and it all seems a bit too try-hard.

They should but you can see why they didn't. A serious car show doesn't have mass worldwide appeal, merchandising, etc etc. Serious car shows are watched by a few million Brit's in a small-time BBC2 slot - as Top Gear always was.

It was pushing it beyond a serious car show that made it the success it is. This is why they've tried to carry this on despite it being fairly obvious that it doesn't work.

Soldato
Mate of mine summed it up beautifully:

The only way I'd watch it again is if they did an uncensored 'LIVE' Special of Evans delivering a blunt knife to an ISIS stronghold in a car covered in Mohammed cartoons.

And we then ended up with him driving a mini-bus full of equally awful 'Celebs' that everyone hated, James Corden, Piers Morgan, Ricky Gervais, Tony Blair to name but a few. Someone even had the genius idea of including Ant & Dec so it would be simultaneously broadcast on ITV and the BBC at the same time :D.

What's really tragic is it WILL fail and the BBC/Evans will blame it purely on the 'Clarkson Fans' completely deflecting from the FACT that it will fail purely because of Evans and the BBC's 'Diversity & Political Correctness' Agenda. They will use every excuse they can except for the actual reasons.

Soldato
Watched it last night. Wasn't as bad as some are making out - some of the jokes were funny.

MLB was miles better than Evans.

He always seemed to be shouting and it echoed around the studio and made the audio levels all weird.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I dont agree..I dont think bikes have anything like the following to justify anything beyond the odd silly race feature on top gear.

I have never had anything to do with bikes really though, so i would think that :)
Think 10 even 5 years ago you would have been right but I think Bikes are getting much more main stream these days. Look at all the bike racing coverage that is on TV recently & other shows involving Bikes & Bike racers like Guy Martins run of shows. Just last night I watched Bikes on terrestrial TV from 9pm till gone 1am. :cool:

Associate
I watched this earlier and like most others was disappointed.

Chris Evans seemed to be trying to make everything exciting by shouting but his voice is more annoying than expressive and doesn't convey it well. Plus the content wasn't great.

Hopefully it improves with feedback and I am also hoping they might use some of the other presenters more in future episodes.

Soldato
What's really tragic is it WILL fail and the BBC/Evans will blame it purely on the 'Clarkson Fans' completely deflecting from the FACT that it will fail purely because of Evans and the BBC's 'Diversity & Political Correctness' Agenda. They will use every excuse they can except for the actual reasons.

What the???????

Soldato
What the???????

Evans is clearly unsuitable for the role and is an extremely polarizing figure anyway, an extremely poor choice for the programme and a very high risk which has failed fantastically at the very first hurdle.

The BBC don't want three middle aged white guys presenting a show, all BBC shows must represent ethnic minorities and women it is an Agenda they want written in to their Royal Charter, and of course be politically correct at all times.

What part don't you understand? :confused:

Soldato
Evans is clearly unsuitable for the role and is an extremely polarizing figure anyway, an extremely poor choice for the programme and a very high risk which has failed fantastically at the very first hurdle.

It was the most viewed thing on TV Sunday and was number one on iPlayer for days. How it will continue I don't know but how on Earth can call that a spectacular failure at the first hurdle?

The BBC don't want three middle aged white guys presenting a show, all BBC shows must represent ethnic minorities and women it is an Agenda they want written in to their Royal Charter, and of course be politically correct at all times.

What part don't you understand? :confused:

The parts you made up mainly (highlighted in yellow).

But even if were correct, are you saying a car programme cannot work unless it's fronted by people willing to make a few dodgy jokes about foreigners?

It sounds like the only reason you watched it was for the closet racism and not the challenges, the cars or even the presenters.

Last edited:
Soldato
Matt Le Blanc is great; Chris Evans is not watchable at all, for me. I think the similarities of the scriptwork between the two incarnations of the show highlight just how much the previous trio were actors and not really that special.

Soldato
The parts you made up mainly (highlighted in yellow).

But even if were correct, are you saying a car programme cannot work unless it's fronted by people willing to make a few dodgy jokes about foreigners?

It sounds like the only reason you watched it was for the closet racism and not the challenges, the cars or even the presenters.

Google 'BBC Diversity Charter'

You're missing the point completely, it was the FACT Clarkson, Hammond and May were NOT diverse or politically correct enough for the BBC. It was however a formula which actually worked, or are you going to say I'm making it up how popular Clarkson, Hammond and May were too? :D

Also don't call me a Racist, I am an equal opportunities misanthrope, I hate everyone all exactly the same.

Soldato
I think the worst part of the new line up was the title sequence. Chris Evans trying to be funny with the plain intro, which was amusing when Clarkson did it, 'I get chased, Matt get's chased etc. etc.

I'm sorry, but just not funny with Evans

Back
Top Bottom