BBC Top Gear - Series 23 discussion thread

The features were a lot better this time. The SIARPRC segment was so poor I switched over to Antiques Roadshow.

And Evans still needs to STOP SHOUTING.

It was better than last weeks but that wouldn't be difficult.

I'd say keep Matt, sack Evans and when JB is out of a contract at McLaren next year get him as I enjoyed his segment

Harris is fine, just not really doing what he's good at - reviewing cars and going sideways.

Didn't bother watching this week. Will be interested to see what the viewing figures are...

I enjoyed it a lot more this week, it's good they've taken on board the criticism and Evans seemed sightly more muted in the studio.

They need to rethink the star on car segment, the audience cheering is so forced and they're properly scraping the barrel getting them to talk about first cars when so far few of the guests actually know any details about it!

The Africa parts were fun to watch with ace visuals, Eddie Jordan wasnt bad but I don't see what he's bringing to the table really?

Are there any cues to show how fast they are actually travelling in the South Africa off-road final section, lots of dust and wheels spinning probably down to clever editing, but these are not racing drivers and doubtful if life insurance companies would be that happy with the risk. ?
[same applies even for Chris Evans driving the McClaren (at speed?) around the airfield - how much is with a stand-in driver ]

Are the South African aerial race shots accomplished with drones now ?

I won't watch it again until they get rid of Chris Evans. I personally cannot stand him and it is like he has turned his unlikableness up to 11 for this.

Shame, because i quite like Le Blanc and think he is a good fit for the show.

Are there any cues to show how fast they are actually travelling in the South Africa off-road final section, lots of dust and wheels spinning probably down to clever editing, but these are not racing drivers and doubtful if life insurance companies would be that happy with the risk. ?
[same applies even for Chris Evans driving the McClaren (at speed?) around the airfield - how much is with a stand-in driver ]

Are the South African aerial race shots accomplished with drones now ?

Have you never watched Top Gear before?

Its always been heavily edited, and James May never drove fast on track, all the outside shots were with a stand in driver.

Spoiler alert: they probably didnt sleep in the tents :eek::p

McLaren bit was good, apart from Evans...OK so he did 200MPH which I'll never do, but for the main host of the world's premier car show to proclaim that was the fastest he had ever gone? Just shows how bad a fit he is.

The rest was completely forgettable, the SIARPC or whatever they want to call it now was tedious in the extreme and the SA SUV "trip" was incredibly dull. At least with Clarkson et al. they looked like they spent nights in uncomfortable places, all we got here was one shot of Eddie Jordan sticking his head out of a tent looking like he's woken up in a 5* hotel :/

Sure it was just as scripted before, but it was semi-convincing and had charm.

Last edited:
Still not 100% sold on it but I did enjoy this week's far more than last week.

I only wanted to Bury a screwdriver in Chris Evans' face every 15 minutes instead of every 5.

You can see the presenters becoming more comfortable in their roles, and building something that resembles a bit of chemistry

Back
Top Bottom