Beat saber

Associate
I just had a play with some custom tracks written my some very clever people. It integrates really well with the base game but... the implementation of the actual beats leave something to be desired.
You can see why the devs took their time getting it right (which they did :) )

Associate
OP
So for those looking to get into playing custom songs before the official editor comes out.

Download the BeatSaberModInstaller.exe installer from here : https://github.com/Umbranoxio/BeatSaberModInstaller/releases

It automatically does everything to get you up and running, and if beat saber updates you just need to rerun the exe to reapply the patch.

You can grab custom tracks from here https://beatsaver.com/ - They really vary in quality and the site isn't organised in the best way but its manageable.

Once you find a song you want to try you just extract the song folder from the zip you downloaded into the Custom Songs folder that'll be in your beat saber install folder (obviously it wont be there until after you've ran the modinstaller).

Some well mapped ones I've found -
Imagine Dragons - Believer
Midnight City - M83
Caravan Palace - Lone Digger

I've had a go with custom saber mods as well but it looks like they're changing how you install those. It's encouraging to see a healthy modding scene.

Loads of info on the discord they mostly use - https://discord.gg/ZY8T8ky

Associate
I found it even easier that that. Once I'd installed the mod installer there was an ingame browser. It's then just browse, click, download, play.

having said that though I haven't yet found one that I like. The blocks are so random I actually hurt my shoulder trying to follow the beats. They're not designed for going for max scores like I do in hard mode. To get that full 90 degrees then the follow through just isn't possible.

I'll stick with hard mode and I can go full on and work up a sweat :)

Associate
OP
I found it even easier that that. Once I'd installed the mod installer there was an ingame browser. It's then just browse, click, download, play.
You're right! I hadn't noticed it adds a handy beatsaver button in the main menu.
8iliHJA.jpg
w6MVLka.jpg

Also I looked into the custom saber thing. In the discord I linked in my post above, go into the finished sabers channel and click to view the pinned posts. Download the customsaberplugin.zip and follow the instuctions in the text files.
Then there's loads of sabers in that channel for you to use just by dropping them in the folder they say in the text files.
cnL2UMLHQTWXQHbLGuCErA.png

20180520140248_1.jpg

The blocks are so random I actually hurt my shoulder trying to follow the beats. They're not designed for going for max scores like I do in hard mode. To get that full 90 degrees then the follow through just isn't possible.
Yeah there are lots of note spammy beatmaps, and I hate the ones where the arrows point together because I'm worried about smashing my controllers together.

Soldato
Finally got round to trying this, great fun and recommend it, does need some space though.

Shame there isn't a play all or loop mode as each game doesn't last very long.

Associate
OP
Are many people still playing this? Heard some mixed options on the new update. Official expert plus is nice, and the other things they've added that were previously 3rd party mods like practice mode.
Beat Saber v0.12.0 Released
26 November - Lokiman
We are back with another update. This time we improved and changed many things. Some of them are not visible, but will allow us to update game much more frequently.

• Added Expert+ difficulty for all songs (standard mode only).
  • New fancy sabers.
  • New modifiers to spice the gameplay and to add multiplier to your final score.
  • 'Practice mode' - you can start at any time of the song and also set it's speed.
  • Added options to swap sabers, to turn off in-game HUD, to turn off SFX and to reduce note cut debris.
  • New in-game UI for song progress, relative score, immediate rank and Full Combo indicator.
  • New UI style in menus.
  • Added full credits.
  • Lights and rendering optimizations.
  • Improved performance across the gameplay.
  • Basically tons of new stuff and optimizations...

Also pretty happy that I managed to beat this one on 'expert plus' last night. Got a bunch of songs from the 100k Contest playlist and this was a nice surprise. (Not my video but same song and difficulty)

Soldato
Still playing here but not bothered with any mods, shame they haven't added more songs.

The ability to loop songs would be good, or a never ending shuffle mode.

Soldato
Yeah this game really needs more songs, I can't wait for the propper release.

I really like switching off the headphones in this game and using the home cinema and turning it right up.

Quick question, How does the scoring work in this game? Sometimes I get 100 points a block others it's 30, what different things is the scoring based on? I know there is the multiplier but seems more to it.

Soldato
Quick question, How does the scoring work in this game? Sometimes I get 100 points a block others it's 30, what different things is the scoring based on? I know there is the multiplier but seems more to it.

The harder your swipes the more you score. So a quick wrist flip might cut the block, but you won't get as many points as a proper swipe at it.

Associate
OP
"Harder" isn't really right. Here is their video explaining how the scoring works.
90 degrees swing before hitting the block - 70pts
60 degrees follow through swing after the block - 30pts
Closer to the center gets you 10pts

In the recent updates using certain modifiers like speeding up the song can also increase your score, and you already mentioned about knowing about the multiplier.

Soldato
"Harder" isn't really right. Here is their video explaining how the scoring works.
90 degrees swing before hitting the block - 70pts
60 degrees follow through swing after the block - 30pts
Closer to the center gets you 10pts

In the recent updates using certain modifiers like speeding up the song can also increase your score, and you already mentioned about knowing about the multiplier.

Thanks for explaining.

Soldato
What upscaling level should I use on this game?

I have a gtx 1080 and an i5 8400.

With a 1080Ti on an Oculus Rift I leave the in game scaling alone and use the OculusDebugTool to set overall scaling to 1.5 an that covered every title and worked well.

Beat Saber isnt very demanding so you could likely get away with 1.4-1.6 on a 1080.

Soldato
With a 1080Ti on an Oculus Rift I leave the in game scaling alone and use the OculusDebugTool to set overall scaling to 1.5 an that covered every title and worked well.

Beat Saber isnt very demanding so you could likely get away with 1.4-1.6 on a 1080.

Ok thanks

I think I have it at 1.2. I will crank it up to 1.5 next time I go on there.

Soldato
If people haven't already then I highly recommend using the modder and BeatSaver plugin, so many songs and all available for install from within Beat Saber, very well done :D

Associate
Purchased over Christmas and racked up near 8 hours already. As above, using mod installer for an endless supply of new songs, some great, some a bit meh but overall a great experience. Had a great family night with my wife and 2 kids at the weekend, so much fun.

Also made better with my new clear lens upgrade from Ebay. Everything just looks so much crisper...

Back
Top Bottom