Beginner Z68AP-D3 guide for Intel i5 2500k

Associate
Got here by just upping the turbo multipliers:

oc_4-5.jpg

The power draw got as high as 102w so if I go further I'll need to up the TDP.

That's actually very impressive. My Core is at 1.3 and I'm using a Noctua D14....very very impressive. Would love to know what ambient temps were and the version of prime used.

Soldato
got mine running sweet on this board at 4.3ghz just by setting the frequency to 43, didnt have to change anything else, but this will be helpful for me in the future, thanks.

on a side note iv been told my temps are a little high at 80's but im using a budget cooler, arctic freezer pro 7

I am also runnign at 4.3Ghz and with the same cooler. My temps are never above 70C when running Prime for 20minutes. My DVID setting is -0.06V though.

Soldato
I am soooo jealous!!!! You have won the CPU lotto!!!! Well done mate!!!! Take that beauty to 5!!!

Had to tweak a bit to get it through IBT. TDP is 150 and CoreCurrentLimit is 150. I noticed that the wattage was higher when the voltage was lower and it was this lower voltage that seemed to stump IBT. So I put LLC on and set dynamic vcore to +0.05 and bingo !

According to CoreTemp the DVID is 1.39xx -1.40xx volts and with these settings CPU-Z reported the vcore as 1.344 and 1.356

Soldato
My overclocking goals are:

1. A good everyday setup at 4.2 - 4.5 (depending on voltages) with a modest iGPU oc

2. Push a little harder to see who bottles it first, the CPU or me ;)

3. Get RAM command rate down to 1T (from 2) without upping voltage

Done them all in five days :cool:

1. 4.5GHz @ 1.344 (iGPU @ 1100MHz)
2. 5.415GHz @ 1.512
3. Command rate at 1T

Now what do I do ? :(

Associate
Your wish is my command:

5-superpi.jpg

Loving the Z68AP-D3 i5 2500k combo :D

Thank you!!! And wow!!! That is amazing!!!! I LOVE YOUR CHIP!!!
Youve actually helped me lower my temps a bit too. Im currently using an Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3 but dont worry! The Gigabyte is waiting for a 2500K an is going to be my LAN rig!
Keep in mind Im running hyperthreading and live in Africa(HOT!!!)

451.jpg

450.jpg

Soldato
which temp though ? CPU or case ?

For CPU Core temp looks at each core where as the BIOS either reads possibly a different monitor or may use an average can't remember.

Often they are not the same.

Do you use TouchBIOS ? View the temp in that alongside coretemp.

I've just used TouchBIOS and it reports the same as coretemp.

Soldato
Thank you!!! And wow!!! That is amazing!!!! I LOVE YOUR CHIP!!!

You're welcome ! I am now messing with the CPU multiplier instead of the turbo multis. I got 4.5 down to 1.26v but it won't go higher than 45x because on the v1 board if you turn the turbo off you can no longer override the TDP and Core Current limit.

My plan is to turn the turbo back on but leave it on auto so I can change the TDP/Core Current up but have the CPU multi higher at lower voltages. I want 5.6GHz. I've got Minty in my sights in the 5Ghz Club thread :)

How do you go about cooling in Africa ? Blowing hot air over a hot chip can't work...

Associate
You're welcome ! I am now messing with the CPU multiplier instead of the turbo multis. I got 4.5 down to 1.26v but it won't go higher than 45x because on the v1 board if you turn the turbo off you can no longer override the TDP and Core Current limit.

My plan is to turn the turbo back on but leave it on auto so I can change the TDP/Core Current up but have the CPU multi higher at lower voltages. I want 5.6GHz. I've got Minty in my sights in the 5Ghz Club thread :)

How do you go about cooling in Africa ? Blowing hot air over a hot chip can't work...

Go for it!!! And with your chip a, ANYTHIUNG, is possible!! Although I do hear a water cooling kit calling your name!!!

I try my best with the Noctua...AC in the room stays on at 20c. But ambient temps are always a killer! Right now its 35c out there! Im really thinking of making the change to water. I really wanted a Corsair H100 but a lot of people have told me that not much change from Noctua and I should look at the RASA kits

Associate
I stumbled across this thread after some googling, thanks for the tips :)

What actually got me interested in OC-ing my i5 was this article, and how easy he made it sound: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/23/tuning-skyrim-on-the-pc-gamer-rig/

Skyrim is a massively CPU limited game, which isn’t especially well multithreaded. Bumping the maximum Turbo multiplier on our Core i5 2500K up from 38x to 45x on all four cores give you a 4.5GHz processor took that minimum framerate up closer to 40fps. That’s a straight 33% increase for 30 seconds’ work.

What exactly is he 'bumping up'? Is it the same as your 4GHz instructions? If so, is it safe to whack in 45 instead of 40 without changing any voltages etc? He makes it sound like it.

Cheers.

Associate
huzidada - Thanks for the pictures! I ordered the Noctua the other day after checking it would fit in my case but suddenly worried myself when I thought about it covering the pcie slot. You've put my mind at ease ha

Associate
Hi, I came across this forum as i have a Z68AP-D3 board. I have a 2600k overclocked to 4 Ghz and was wondering if i could take it further without touching voltage settings, i overclocked by simply adjusting the multi to 40x, cpu idles between 27-31 and on full load ive never seen the cpu go over 51, cores max temp ive seen is 61. The rest of my system is in my sig, thanks very much guys. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Hi, I came across this forum as i have a Z68AP-D3 board. I have a 2600k overclocked to 4 Ghz and was wondering if i could take it further without touching voltage settings, i overclocked by simply adjusting the multi to 40x, rest of my system is in my sig, thanks very much guys. :)

Yeah, should be fine. Mine's been on 4.3GHz for a couple of months now. I even put at 4.5GHz just using the multiplier to 45x and it ran Prime for about 20-30 minutes fine, before I just shut it down.

Back
Top Bottom