Beginner Z68AP-D3 guide for Intel i5 2500k

Associate
Question for all you OC'ers: did anybody see any discolouration on the back of the board where the VRMs are? I've just got one of these 2nd hand and spotted this before using.

VRMsIMAG0480.jpg

Not plugged it in yet, but I don't want to damage my CPU: if this is common I'm all over it!

Associate
4.8 stable in prime

Morning all, a kind Sir has directed me to the Z68 owner club here =)

I have been tweaking and playing around with my OC for last few days, ive managed to get a setup as follows.

I5 2500k
4.8ghz
MB Gigabyte Z68AP-D3

M/B intelligent tweaker
Advanced Frequency Settings – Press Enter
CPU Clock Ratio – 48
Advanced CPU Core Features – Press Enter – Ensure that CPU Overvoltage is enabled
Advanced Memory Settings – Press Enter
System Memory Multiplier – 16.0
Performance Enhance – Standard
DRAM Timing Selectable – Quick
DRAM Timings - 11-11-11-28-2
Advanced Voltage Settings – Press Enter
Loadline Calibration – Level 7
CPU Vcore – 1.300v
DRAM Voltage – 1.58v (team group elite- recommended not above 1.6)

I ran prime for 6 hours, no errors, no BSOD, thought it was all gravy, temps acceptable at about 72-73c.

Closed prime, went to watch a film, loaded page buffered a bit, got 2 min in and pc hung its self, no BSOD, just locked up, i incresed core v by +0.015 and rebooted, buffered film, got 40 min in and same again but with BSOD ( message said something about cpu not responding quick enough)

My only thought with this oc is that due to me using onboard graphics, could this be choking the cpu?, can anyone recommend any thing i can try changing in the bios to try and stabilize it.

Im new to this so any advice would be great, thanks in advance
Richard

Associate
Question for all you OC'ers: did anybody see any discolouration on the back of the board where the VRMs are? I've just got one of these 2nd hand and spotted this before using.

VRMsIMAG0480.jpg

Not plugged it in yet, but I don't want to damage my CPU: if this is common I'm all over it!

Forgot I left this here: the motherboard worked absolutely fine and has been stable (at stock) since September.

Associate
Another random question for all the god like beings on this thread, is there physically a way to record my xbox game play through this motherboard? is there a way to use the HDMI out as an in or something random like that?

Associate
OP
Morning all, a kind Sir has directed me to the Z68 owner club here =)

I have been tweaking and playing around with my OC for last few days, ive managed to get a setup as follows.

I5 2500k
4.8ghz
MB Gigabyte Z68AP-D3

M/B intelligent tweaker
Advanced Frequency Settings – Press Enter
CPU Clock Ratio – 48
Advanced CPU Core Features – Press Enter – Ensure that CPU Overvoltage is enabled
Advanced Memory Settings – Press Enter
System Memory Multiplier – 16.0
Performance Enhance – Standard
DRAM Timing Selectable – Quick
DRAM Timings - 11-11-11-28-2
Advanced Voltage Settings – Press Enter
Loadline Calibration – Level 7
CPU Vcore – 1.300v
DRAM Voltage – 1.58v (team group elite- recommended not above 1.6)

I ran prime for 6 hours, no errors, no BSOD, thought it was all gravy, temps acceptable at about 72-73c.

Closed prime, went to watch a film, loaded page buffered a bit, got 2 min in and pc hung its self, no BSOD, just locked up, i incresed core v by +0.015 and rebooted, buffered film, got 40 min in and same again but with BSOD ( message said something about cpu not responding quick enough)

My only thought with this oc is that due to me using onboard graphics, could this be choking the cpu?, can anyone recommend any thing i can try changing in the bios to try and stabilize it.

Im new to this so any advice would be great, thanks in advance
Richard

Maybe try running with a cpu multiplier of x44 and see if that's stable. By the way there are different tests you can do with prime 95 . Did you do small FFT's or large FFT's or blend ? Either way it sounds like the overclock is unstable, so as mentioned try intel burn test. If you get it stable on that, its all gravy !

Soldato
Hi guys, now I know this is an old thread and I'm a year late to the party but only just started OCing the two combo and my results were as shown after 15mins of blend test.

24fy0x4.png

The thing that worries me the most is that Core#0 is always around 10C cooler than the rest :confused:
I also noticed that the CPU can drop to 1.6GHz the odd times :confused:

Do the figures look normal/safe?

Oh and I'm using an Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Rev.2 :)

Associate
that cooler is pants tbh, i wouldnt have gona to 4.5 when i had mine, temps went up into the 90's, iv managed to get my chip to 4.5 stable in this board, anymore and it becomes unstable

Soldato
Got her stable at 4.3GHz with 1.26v, also using level 6 LLC and the rest is pretty much the same settings as in OP.
How come in the BIOS the vcore is 1.26 yet in CPU-z its 1.296 :confused:
As well as Core#0 always ~10C cooler than the rest.

Caporegime
Got her stable at 4.3GHz with 1.26v, also using level 6 LLC and the rest is pretty much the same settings as in OP.
How come in the BIOS the vcore is 1.26 yet in CPU-z its 1.296 :confused:
As well as Core#0 always ~10C cooler than the rest.

that's because of loadline calibration which bumps up voltage slightly to counter voltage droop under load,where the cpu voltage sags

Soldato
Hmmm, well thanks for clearing that up! :D
So basically, the lower the level of LLC the lower the voltage rises from the original vcore?
Also, voltage droop, I have seen people type droop as well as drop, is it a typo?

Soldato
Thanks again :)
Just looked at the diagrams as most of the words used in that were a little to fancy for me to understand :(

I think I'll just keep my current overclock and not mess with it anymore :D

Back
Top Bottom