Being Sued by Atari/Davenport !

This is meaningless until the case is out on BAILII because until then we don't know what arguments were put forward. It could be that the defendant chose to represent themselves and tried to use some sort of stupid 'everyone does it' type defence rather than relying on existing lacunas within the law. Don't worry though - I'll be waiting for this judgement to come out :D

Though clearly not laughable to academics at harvard and birbeck; not to mention lawrence lessig, william fisher, EMI, Michael Moore, Avrille Lavigne, the guy that plays Hiro from Heroes, a recent EU culture report and lots of other people who've actually looked in to the figures rather than just giving a gut reaction. The Australian government branded figures put out there by the RIAA 'absurd'.

Not this AGAIN. Piracy helps the economy and increases sales...fact. Even EMI agree.
Saying "fact" on a forum doesn't make it a fact... err.... FACT :D

If piracy helps the economy, increases sales and the "pirate" gets held to account and taken to the cleaners for dishonestly ripping off someone else's hard work then it's a win all round. :D

I get the feeling you are either a law professional or student of law. In any case I'm sure your firm/you would take a dim view of people ripping off your IP and would be taking action in milliseconds. You set the price for your services and people pay you for them. If people don't pay up you take action to secure what is owed to you. Would you be OK if someone didn't pay you for your IP if they just said "thanks for the help, I'm not paying because it wasn't that good and I never would have used you if I had to pay" ? Why do people always seem to think it's OK to dishonestly rip off someone elses work and IP when they wouldn't stand for being ripped off themselves.

Last edited:
In any case I'm sure your firm/you would take a dim view of people ripping off your IP and would be taking action in milliseconds.

I have no problem seeking the enforcement of existing law and bringing cases against people, I just think - and am in the vast majority in the legal world in thinking - the current laws on copyright infringement specifically, lack any sense from an evidential view point.

I can run you through why briefly, if you want, or if you want the long version I can send you a copy of my Masters dissertation on the subject. People don't realise quite how much evidence there is proving piracy has at worst a negligible effect on the creative industries.

Last edited:
I can run you through why briefly, if you want, or if you want the long version I can send you a copy of my Masters dissertation on the subject. People don't realise quite how much evidence there is proving piracy has at worst a negligible effect on the creative industries.

Whilst not being legally trained, I am smart enough to be able to work my way through most complex documents and would be very interesting in reading your dissertation. Got an electronic copy you can email?

I have no problem seeking the enforcement of existing law and bringing cases against people, I just think - and am in the vast majority in the legal world in thinking - the current laws on copyright infringement specifically, lack any sense from an evidential view point.

Did you study the effect of no enforcement of IP laws? Also did you look at how it would affect industries like gaming where the sale of their product is the only revenue stream they have? The claim is that musicians can make it up on concerts and merchandise, what can gaming companies make it up on?

Did you study the effect of no enforcement of IP laws? Also did you look at how it would affect industries like gaming where the sale of their product is the only revenue stream they have? The claim is that musicians can make it up on concerts and merchandise, what can gaming companies make it up on?

by the fact that if you wish to play the game online (which in the most part people do now a days) you must buy the game. :confused:

Did you study the effect of no enforcement of IP laws?
Studied the effect of laws now, laws substantially strengthened and laws substantially decreased.

Also did you look at how it would affect industries like gaming where the sale of their product is the only revenue stream they have?
Yes

The claim is that musicians can make it up on concerts and merchandise, what can gaming companies make it up on?

That's not really the main claim although it is true. Studies have shown that those who pirate most also buy the most content. Despite piracy people thus still buy legitimate copies for various reasons.

Maybe you should give us a link, I'd be interested to have a read and I'm probably not the only one :)

It's still in the process of being marked and as such I don't want to put it out for general availability. I'm thus putting identifiers into each copy that I send out and making them subject to confidentiality agreements. People can read and use the sources, but I don't want it just 'out there' in case my supervisor gets annoyed.

EDIT:sent you a copy now.

Last edited:
It's still in the process of being marked and as such I don't want to put it out for general availability. I'm thus putting identifiers into each copy that I send out and making them subject to confidentiality agreements. People can read and use the sources, but I don't want it just 'out there' in case my supervisor gets annoyed.

Well I'll have to do with an email then :p

Burnsy

Back
Top Bottom