Poll: Belgian Grand Prix 2018, Spa - Race 13/21

Rate the 2018 Belgian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
The wheel also hit the right hand side top of the cockpit. No way would it have entered the environment of the drivers head, unless his head was on top of or in front of the steering wheel.

Only reason they showed that shot is it made the halo look useful.

Man of Honour
That get's a 1/10 from me. Yet another boring race. For the second time this year I have turned the TV off mid race and correctly got the top four correct. I think I am just about done with F1 and that means I can finally get rid of Sky too.

Caporegime
Grosjeans accident was just one of many he caused that season. Spa was just the last straw.
7 start accidents in 12 races iirc.

Grosjean also didn't just lock up and misjudge his breaking. He had hamilton on his inside who was fully alongside, he pushed Hamilton off till Hamilton lost grip on the grass, lost control and everything went to ****.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBM4KpxfsPc

Grosjean deliberately pushed Hamilton off track causing the accident. Hulkenberg didn't deliberately anything, he misjudged braking, he didn't mean to end his or Alonso's race it was just poor judgement.

Hulk doesn't deserve anywhere near the same penalty for misjudging his braking point compared to Grosjean deliberately pushing someone off track where the consequences of such action were so obvious, quite apart from the fact that pushing someone off track deliberately is against the rules in the first place.

I'd have still called it a **** move from Grosjean if he did it to someone on the outside of the same corner, but to push Hamilton onto the grass on the inside, into the braking zone for a slow and tight right turn at the start of a race. The outcome of doing that to Hamilton was always 100% going to be a multiple car crash with cars arriving very fast into a tight right turn meaning side impacts into cars ahead of them. Grosjean was extremely lucky to only get a one race ban imo, it's utterly incomparable to what Hulk did.

Soldato
Should be disqualified for at least a couple of races, and seriously investigated for deeper intentions.

Maybe not.

gave it a 2, and that was for the crash.

Vettel overtake was always going to happen and completely expected. Even Bottas' drive through the field was boring.

Permabanned
What did you watch?

Nothing. Was at work :D

But Fernando agrees:

Fernando Alonso said F1's 'halo' head protection system saved Charles Leclerc in their huge crash inBelgium.

Alonso's McLaren landed on top of Leclerc's Sauber after being launched into the air by Renault's Nico Hulkenberg, who missed his braking point at the first corner at Spa.

Television replays show Alonso's car being deflected by the halo, which had impact marks on it afterwards.

"I saw the replay and how good was the proof for the halo," Alonso said.

"We didn't need any proof but it is a good thing."

The halo was a controversial introduction to F1 this season, with a significant minority of the drivers feeling it was not needed and many fans objecting to its appearance. There was also a feeling in some quarters that it was diluting F1's ethos as an open-cockpit formula.

Alonso, who was among the majority of drivers in favour of the halo's introduction, added: "The positive side is we are all three OK, especially Charles. I flew over his car and the halo was a good thing to have today."

Leclerc added: "If today it has been useful or not, I don't know. I don't know what would have happened without it but in some cases it is definitely helpful."

Hulkenberg was handed a 10-place grid penalty at the next race in Italy this coming weekend, as well as three licence penalty points, bringing his total to four of the 12 permitted before a race ban.

Hulkenberg said he was "disappointed and frustrated" with himself for the incident.

He added: "I don't want that for myself, for Fernando, for everyone. It is a shame and very bitter to take that and difficult to swallow and be out in lap one after the summer break.

"It caught me by surprise. I just misjudged my braking point a little bit and there was no real time to recover it."

Alonso likened the incident to the one at the same race in 2012, when then Lotus driver Romain Grosjean was given a race ban for causing a similar incident, in which the Spaniard was also innocently involved.

Speaking before Hulkenberg's penalty was announced, Alonso said: "That time Romain had a race ban. This time, we'll see. It is tough to understand how you can miss [your braking point] so much.

"It is not a couple of metres, you arrive at a speed that it is impossible to negotiate the corner. So, sad for that but happy that we are all fine."

The stewards took into account the Grosjean incident but pointed out in their verdict that at the time the penalty point system had not been introduced.

https://www-bbc-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/formula1/45316834?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1#amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45316834

Associate
That get's a 1/10 from me. Yet another boring race. For the second time this year I have turned the TV off mid race and correctly got the top four correct. I think I am just about done with F1 and that means I can finally get rid of Sky too.

Have to go with this as a longtime fan. Definitely seems to be Formula 1A and 1B at times, watching Bottas just sail by any of the midfield without trouble, really puts in to perspective the huge gaps between the top 3 and everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom